Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But 8.5k+ cost is pushing it a bit even for me…

If you can live with C100-style oversampled 1080p, get a Nikon Z6 (or Z7) and pair it with an Atomos ninja star, to get improved autofocus versus your Panasonic system, while keeping 10 bit and log. Much cheaper way to get into the Z system. The ninja star is compact and doesn’t feel as intrusive as a larger recorder, such as the ninja v does. So your setup can stay decently light and compact. The Downsampled image is extremely clean, I use it for work all the time. All you need to do is set the camera record setting to 4k, and in the HDMI menu change the resolution from AUTO to 1080p. 

And the Megadap ETZ21 should work fine. Haven’t tried it, but assuming I stick with my Z6 I may pick it up. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, FHDcrew said:

I read your posts in greater detail. You seem to want 6k or 8k to pull high-ish res stills from. No way would the ninja star help with that. 

I was just going to respond to confirm that!

I am currently running about with 2-3 cameras most of the day and 4 at certain times.

I would like to get this to 1 most of the day (the Nikon/Tamron combo is currently by far and away the best option), 2 at times and 3 max.

I’m also looking to lose 1 tripod and a couple of lenses.

The losses (in kit) would make a significant difference.

The gains (in tech) would make a decent difference.

The combination would be worth it and it now comes down to a question of timing as in I cannot do anything this season, but probably will do something for next because as a business user, if it makes sense, then why not?!

6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I was just going to respond to confirm that!

I am currently running about with 2-3 cameras most of the day and 4 at certain times.

I would like to get this to 1 most of the day (the Nikon/Tamron combo is currently by far and away the best option), 2 at times and 3 max.

I’m also looking to lose 1 tripod and a couple of lenses.

The losses (in kit) would make a significant difference.

The gains (in tech) would make a decent difference.

The combination would be worth it and it now comes down to a question of timing as in I cannot do anything this season, but probably will do something for next because as a business user, if it makes sense, then why not?!

Well if you go the Nikon and Megadap route, definitely let me know how well the the Megadap performs!

10 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Anyone know whether this might work on mirrorless camera like the R5C?

https://www.amazon.ca/Ansbell-Magnetic-Adapter-Transfer-Compatible/dp/B0831KYRD2

In theory as it supports USB-PD up to 100w. It maybe a good solution to protect from breaking the camera board. I may try as currently I use a small rig protector but you could still break it.

I rally hate the power over USB C….. is the only thing that I truly hate from this great camera

Ideally a USB PD or D tap dummy battery would be even better…

Finally got around to rigging the R5C for run n gun stuff and figuring out the best strategies for various shooting scenarios (from super stripped down to rigged up for talking head shoots). I'm used to just grabbing my 5D MKIII with ML RAW and a couple batteries for the most basic footage captures (video + photo) - and while you can do that with the R5C, the battery life and need to swap out every 45 minutes or so, even if you haven't captured much, definitely crosses into the realm of annoying af. And if you're thinking of putting the battery grip on the R5C with something like a 50mm f/1.2L, well expect that fairly light R5C body to hit 1DC/1DX class in terms of the heft - and that's not even with something like the Smallrig cage on it. 

All that to say that while I have no regrets (the specs you get in this small form factor continues to amaze me!), I really hope Canon addresses the battery issues with a firmware update that at least gives users more robust and diverse power saving options. Especially when you flip over to the photo side and realize you probably do have another 10 minutes left in the battery tank for video.

Either way it still leaves me thinking that a used XT3 with a pancake lens would be the perfect pocket-sized cam to travel with and always have on hand - that is until these smartphones finally take their rightful seat on the throne, lol...

1 hour ago, Ty Harper said:

A useful battery hack for the R5C. Basically if you hit the Media button and keep it in that mode while you aren't shooting, you can almost triple the battery's life:

I posted that is a kind of workaround for saving battery here 2 months ago: 

My personal rant: why a 6-minute video with a huge title for something so simple?
Basically, it saves you the 3 seconds to turn on the camera.... not sure is something worth of this fanfare 🙂 
If you are playing with the menu to setup the camera it still chews battery like crazy....

Amazing camera with pretty bad battery management. 

6 hours ago, gt3rs said:

My personal rant: why a 6-minute video with a huge title for something so simple?

Totally agree, which is why I just stated what the hack was and linked to the vid for credit. I really hope this is addressed in a firmware update bcuz it seems like such a simple fix.

2 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Totally agree, which is why I just stated what the hack was and linked to the vid for credit. I really hope this is addressed in a firmware update bcuz it seems like such a simple fix.

Exactly they could implement an optional timer setting that when you are in menus or not recording for that time the camera stops live feeding video.... or switches to a much lower res mode as R5 does.

10 hours ago, Django said:

Here is another R5C extra secret bonus hack: Turn the camera off when you're not shooting.

Actually not a bad practice and what I do with all my cameras.

When I switched from Nikon DSLR to Fuji mirrorless in 2011/12, I was initially getting such bad battery life compared to what I was used to, I started this practice.

When the internet was moaning about 150-200 frames shot on an X Pro-1, I was getting 1000+.

It became a muscle memory habit thing very quickly and I have always done it ever since without ever having to think about it.

Still the same today with my Panasonic’s and typically only change once per body, late on in a full day’s shoot towards the end of the day.

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Actually not a bad practice and what I do with all my cameras.

When I switched from Nikon DSLR to Fuji mirrorless in 2011/12, I was initially getting such bad battery life compared to what I was used to, I started this practice.

When the internet was moaning about 150-200 frames shot on an X Pro-1, I was getting 1000+.

It became a muscle memory habit thing very quickly and I have always done it ever since without ever having to think about it.

Still the same today with my Panasonic’s and typically only change once per body, late on in a full day’s shoot towards the end of the day.

Same here. 

Also another tip for Canon shooters, assign a button to toggle AF on/off. Not only will this help you in many tricky AF situations, its also good practice to always turn off AF when not necessary as it also consumes a lot of battery working the lens motors etc..