Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/18/2022 at 12:22 AM, webrunner5 said:

So, the take away is if you are in a car all the time shooting buy a Canon R5C, if you walk when you shoot buy a Canon R5, but you can't do both with either camera, wonderful.

If you walk with, use a gimbal instead ;- )

Just wondering what D-Tap to dummy battery people are using for the R5 C?

Just trying to build out a rig for the R5 C and a little unsure of what power setup we should go with. 

*We will very rarely be shooting in 8K but we do have USB-C power bank for that anyhow. Still not clear if D-Tap dummy battery will power in 8K? 

We want to power the camera off the Came TV 99Wh Compact V-Mount. We will also be powering the Atmos Shinobi 7 inch off this as well as occasionally some other accessories. 

I really don't get why they do not make an optional battery grip that would give the right power, it is annoying the external power requirement. As the DC coupler works there is no limitation on the battery compartment to get enough power in....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, gt3rs said:

I really don't get why they do not make an optional battery grip that would give the right power, it is annoying the external power requirement. As the DC coupler works there is no limitation on the battery compartment to get enough power in....

I would agree on that issue if all cinematographers in this planet would't choose an external battery for power up their camera 

Some times half sized from their cameras .

So you want to act as a professional and shoot your job at 8k ?  Act like one and do what all do.

The fact that in this camera is a excellent photo camera that can be used with internal battery as all of its kind it's a bonus.

8 hours ago, nathlas said:

I would agree on that issue if all cinematographers in this planet would't choose an external battery for power up their camera 

Some times half sized from their cameras .

So you want to act as a professional and shoot your job at 8k ?  Act like one and do what all do.

The fact that in this camera is a excellent photo camera that can be used with internal battery as all of its kind it's a bonus.

I have shoot pro trial bike, pro horse showjumping, pro hockey, pro ski, pro tennis, pro ice skating and pro car racing and you are telling me that to be PRO I need a dam cable hanging out of the camera that goes to a pocket or a mounting solution..... yeah right I really want a cable and a battery hanging around that could be ripped a part in a second.
I owned 1Dx, 1Dx II, 1Dx III and now own two R5, would love to swap one for a R5c but the external cable is a no go for me.

Do I want to jump on and off an helicopter with a hanging cable: no
Do I want to be on my onewheel following an horse with a cable a big battery hanging around: no
Do I want to mount a camera on a rally car and then need to mount a battery too: no
Do I want to ski down a mountain with a cable and a battery: no
Not every body shoot video statically from a tripod is a safe environment all the time.  

Guess what Nikon Z9 can shoot unlimited 8k RAW at 60fps with no external battery so I'm not asking the moon just a bloody battery grip that has enough power for 8k 60.

And to the V Mount battery yes it make sense to use a battery that weight more than the camera itself.

Ahh come on real men can carry 5 or 6 V Mount batteries at a time. One is not going to kill you. Sounds like you want a Barbie Cam. 😁

Yeah, I can see your point. Well it is Canon you know. Hell look at the new GH6, no battery grip option at all. Crazy.

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I have shoot pro trial bike, pro horse showjumping, pro hockey, pro ski, pro tennis, pro ice skating and pro car racing and you are telling me that to be PRO I need a dam cable hanging out of the camera that goes to a pocket or a mounting solution..... yeah right I really want a cable and a battery hanging around that could be ripped a part in a second.
I owned 1Dx, 1Dx II, 1Dx III and now own two R5, would love to swap one for a R5c but the external cable is a no go for me.

Do I want to jump on and off an helicopter with a hanging cable: no
Do I want to be on my onewheel following an horse with a cable a big battery hanging around: no
Do I want to mount a camera on a rally car and then need to mount a battery too: no
Do I want to ski down a mountain with a cable and a battery: no
Not every body shoot video statically from a tripod is a safe environment all the time.  

Guess what Nikon Z9 can shoot unlimited 8k RAW at 60fps with no external battery so I'm not asking the moon just a bloody battery grip that has enough power for 8k 60.

And to the V Mount battery yes it make sense to use a battery that weight more than the camera itself.

After years of telling people that I have different needs to what they think I do (or should have) I have now realised that I basically shoot in extreme situations.  I shoot in caves, out of light aircraft, while walking/running, through glass, in high DR situations, in nasty weather and at crazy long focal lengths (>800mm FF equivalent).  The fact that I do these things as part of home videos is irrelevant, and as soon as you say that, people just instantly think I should use a potato and be happy about it.

I'd suggest you stop talking about "pro" and start using the phrase "extreme".  It's true, after all, most pros shoot in situations where the world revolves around the camera, rather than the camera needing to fit into the world, and let alone like us where the camera needs to be able to survive a world that is actively hostile to both good images as well as equipment failure.

1 hour ago, kye said:

After years of telling people that I have different needs to what they think I do (or should have) I have now realised that I basically shoot in extreme situations.  I shoot in caves, out of light aircraft, while walking/running, through glass, in high DR situations, in nasty weather and at crazy long focal lengths (>800mm FF equivalent).  The fact that I do these things as part of home videos is irrelevant, and as soon as you say that, people just instantly think I should use a potato and be happy about it.

I'd suggest you stop talking about "pro" and start using the phrase "extreme".  It's true, after all, most pros shoot in situations where the world revolves around the camera, rather than the camera needing to fit into the world, and let alone like us where the camera needs to be able to survive a world that is actively hostile to both good images as well as equipment failure.

There are some pro people who shoot in extreme situations as well. But yeah do your thing. It seems like the GH5 is still unmatched for true run and gun shooting.

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

There are some pro people who shoot in extreme situations as well. But yeah do your thing. It seems like the GH5 is still unmatched for true run and gun shooting.

Yeah, I know there are but it seems to be the exception.  I frequently find that discussions with "pros" assume you'll be able to operate fully manually, that you can have a rig the size of a fridge (or truck) if you need it, that light can be provided / modified to suit the composition, and that normal camera accessories will all be fine (up to the point where it makes the operator resemble a Borg drone).  Any mention of situations where the speed of working is a factor or there are any limitations that might impact what you can do seem to be considered an exception.  Those situations do seem to be handled pretty well when they come up, so I'm not suggesting a limitation on their behalf, merely assumptions around what is considered normal.

I laughed pretty hard when the guy below mentioned that he had to work "incredibly fast" (6:25) to get a few random shots of his GF sitting on a train, or to get someone in focus on an escalator (essentially it's a stationary portrait when both of you are moving at the same speed).

If he found that filming a subject who was motionless and would respond to direction to be "incredibly fast" then we've basically run out of words!  "Extreme" seems suitable language to indicate to people that they should set aside their normal mode of thinking.

The GH5 is still a really great offering at the intersection of the various considerations needed for working in highly unpredictable and fast-moving situations, despite showing its age in a number of ways (DR, colour, codecs, low-light).
I'm not going to be in the market for a GH5 replacement until I start travelling again after COVID is actually gone (rather than the current wishful thinking that's going on in the PR departments of most governments), but I'm considering the GH6 and also the FP as potential replacements.

The GH6 would keep the strengths of the GH5 but doesn't completely bridge the gap between the GH5 and current FF cameras in terms of low-light, DR, and perhaps colour (jury is still out on that one I think).  The FP would limit me to OIS lenses (and likely less stabilisation compared to the GH5 with IBIS on unstabilised primes) but I think (when combined with a BM Video Assist to get BRAW and its sensible bitrates) it would buy me considerably better codec, DR, colour, and perhaps low-light too, so it might be a sacrifice worth making.  I've also done a bunch of work during COVID around my editing process and style and have changed my requirements a bit because of that.

Neither of these options is anywhere near the price of something like the R5C, which is competing in another league (8K RAW, DPAF, etc).  I must admit that if I was willing to invest significantly more into a camera system, and was chasing something with PDAF then the R5C would be a contender, along with things like the FX3.

12 hours ago, gt3rs said:
10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Ahh come on real men can carry 5 or 6 V Mount batteries at a time. One is not going to kill you. Sounds like you want a Barbie Cam. 😁

Barbie cameras are available.

Barbie cameras that shoot 8κ not many 

Sony A1 (that someone could compare with) is 50% higher in price and shoots obviously in lower bitrate and with inferior capabilities in video image.

59 minutes ago, nathlas said:

Barbie cameras are available.

Barbie cameras that shoot 8κ not many 

Sony A1 (that someone could compare with) is 50% higher in price and shoots obviously in lower bitrate and with inferior capabilities in video image.

Again Canon user and very happy but the Z9 has 8k RAW 60 with no external power supply for 1000$ more. A 400$ battery grip would solve easily this issue. 

As I said I would like to swap one of my R5 for a R5c mostly for the 60p in 8k RAW (I mostly shoot right now 8k RAW 24-30p but for sport/action would be great to have 60p) and unlimited 4k 120 with audio (on R5 is the mode that mostly overheats and is with no audio). Lack of IBIS is a bit of a concern but I would still have an R5. But the external battery is really a no go.

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

...R5... mostly overheats...

Speaking of which... Apparently the "Delkin Black" CF Express Type B cards are capable of recording 8K for 30 min. without overheating??? 

https://www.canonrumors.com/new-delkin-cfexpress-card-to-launch-thursday-it-will-be-the-fastest-card-for-the-canon-eos-r5-yet/

I don't know how 4K/120p performs... but any volunteers on this forum that is willing to do so... let us know.