Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, gt3rs said:

From the official spec it was always clear that 8K 50/60 works with internal battery only without AF and IS, with external power AF IS works as normal including EF lenses.

If I recall correctly that Gordon got it working on internal battery 8k 50p (not 60) with AF and IS but it was a pre release camera. This could even be lens dependent as I can imagine that you need less power for a 35 1.8 IS than for a 400 2.8 IS lens or could be that the final firmware simply does not allow it anymore as it may not be reliable. 

It's a pretty simple thing for a camera to monitor the current draw and then enable / disable things based on that info, but Canon typically favours reliability (in their cinema camera lineup!) over features, so they might have disabled it to be cautious.

Human psychology views losing something as a much more traumatic event than not getting it in the first place.  A common sales tactic is to hand the product to the person because then if they don't buy it they have to hand it back.  From this perspective it would be a nicer experience for users to not expect a feature and not get it than to think they're getting it and then not get it, so if it did IS for some lenses and not others, the person who plugged in an IS lens and it worked would then curse every time they plugged in any other lens and it didn't work.

2 hours ago, cookietub said:

QUESTION: When the camera is in standby, is there power to the lens? Can you adjust the aperture in standby? Does the lens only go dead when you hit record?

It goes dead when i select 8k50p, but in other modes the lens functions, so you can preset the lens before switching to 8k50p.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Yup, seems human limits have been reached... Not many some other uses in the media businesses and multiple extra gates open from there at the acquisition side though :- )

VRVRVRVR.  I can't tell you what a difference there is, even between 4K and 6K. And 8K is still significantly below what the eye can resolve, especially when you are panning across the image frame with the screen pressed against your eyeball. 

1 hour ago, HurtinMinorKey said:

VRVRVRVR.  I can't tell you what a difference there is, even between 4K and 6K. And 8K is still significantly below what the eye can resolve, especially when you are panning across the image frame with the screen pressed against your eyeball. 

Having experienced some VR events (some are paid too) the 4k feels like really low res, the 5.7k is the absolute minimum for those type of stuff and 8k+ is definitely what VR need.

13 hours ago, cookietub said:

Thanks! Have you shot any raw 8K 50/60P? I would like to know how it handles in post.

Na haven't shoot 8k, but did try 5.9k50p raw lt and even m1 max with 32gpu/64gb ram is slideshow on latest premiere, the cpu is running 100% too. On fcx and da vinci it is smooth though, but fcx don't have wb/iso adjustment.

41 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Having experienced some VR events (some are paid too) the 4k feels like really low res, the 5.7k is the absolute minimum for those type of stuff and 8k+ is definitely what VR need.

Correct : ) The lack of a simple word ("with") put the meaning of my post upside down. There are human limits for good old 2D content though :- )

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Yes, at some point delivery bit rate formats become an issue at higher resolutions.  I've seen 100Mbps 4K 180VR that looks very good, and at the same time 6K 180 VR at 30Mbps that looks like crap.  FPS is a big deal too. I'm going to a lot of testing between 120fps 4K and 8K 60fps. There aren't many 120fps VR videos out there, and I think it could look really sweet (with a sufficient bit rate), especially in scenes with a lot of action.  I can't wait for my R5C, until then my Canon 5.2mm fisheye VR lens is a glorified paper weight.  I think I was one of the first pre-orders, so hopefully any day now. 

I will admit it has a super clean look to it and the color science looks nice. 8k is super clean, but that is sort of the problem, can you make it filmic, cinematic?? It doesn't have a Cine mojo to it that I see. I guess 8k is going to be hard to have that ability. Perfect for Doc work and VR stuff, I am sure. To be honest other than the 8k it looks a lot like a Panasonic S1 output wise.

Don't get me wrong if I could afford one, I would probably buy one as I am not going for a Netflix look or making a blockbuster movie. But I would like a bit of OG BMPCC look to it at times.