Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, kye said:

Too heavy, too expensive, and too large for how/where I shoot.

Komodo stripped to the bones would give you better AF, better image, better battery life than a GH5. No IBIS though. But neither does your BM camera.

5 hours ago, kaylee said:

what about ufos tho

They would continue to be unknown flying objects and a great campfire beer story.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not to mention competition is much more compelling. Z9 anyone?

This is the only competition to me that is intriguing but it would be nice to have more video focused tools for video. I'm no expert on N-Log but from initial testing from other people it looks like it may need updated to allow for more DR as it only allows maximum of 12 stops–that limits 4K footage at the moment. In 8K RAW we don't know the specifies on the bitrates yet. It would seem, based on some charts from Angelbird, that the RAW bitrates could be quite high. Hopefully they have more compressed options. 10:1 would be great.

I would love to see Nikon succeed in the video space. I honestly think they have to to stay relevant.

2 hours ago, Django said:

It was always a stopgap and now thinking of replacing it with R5C & maybe C70 down the line.

I'm looking to perhaps pick up an R5C as well. Will probably skip the C70 and wait for a FF, DGO, internal ND camera from Canon (or from another company!) if and when that comes. Seems like we are getting close.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
56 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Komodo stripped to the bones would give you better AF, better image, better battery life than a GH5. No IBIS though. But neither does your BM camera.

AF I can live without, but I rely heavily on IBIS for the situations I shoot in because I use unstabilised manual primes, often vintage.

The Komodo is absolutely a better image, no doubt.  I really wish it worked for how I shoot, despite being used-car prices, I'd be super interested.  I can't say I'm that enamoured with the cropping it does for higher frame rates though.

GH5 battery life is fine.

In a sense, I'm looking for:

• Colour science on the level of BM 2012 (sadly still limited to BM 2012 and pro-level cinema cameras)
  • The IBIS, practicality and reliability of GH5 2017
  • An EVF with decent focus-peaking
  • Prores downsampled from full sensor resolution

I wouldn't say no to dual-gain ISO either, but I get by with fast primes so it's not a deal breaker.

Essentially it's a GH5 with the colour science and codec from BM 2012.

guys theyre low key marketing this $4500 thing as a vlogging camera

its a frankenstein cam but i bet the mark iii will be p good 😎

1 hour ago, kye said:

I rely heavily on IBIS for the situations I shoot in because I use unstabilised manual primes, often vintage.

this is why i would want IBIS on a camera like this too

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

They would continue to be unknown flying objects and a great campfire beer story.

sorry i meant UAPs ☺️

I sincerely think both standpoints have their own merit and it's useless each side to take the other angle otherwise.

May business ethics play a role but not everyone cares about it, though. I believe past should count much more than people today are willing to. Take a look on the general elections in my native country last weekend... Scandal after scandal didn't take the political party in power away from a majority in the national Parliament.

4 hours ago, nathlas said:

Τhat was exactly the question back when 4k appeared with Red One .

I don't have an opinion either way on 8K...until I have to sacrifice battery life, camera ergonomics, and standard USB-C power options to get it; after all of that is taken away its no longer the camera for me.

On 2/2/2022 at 12:01 PM, MrSMW said:

Possibly the 'not every shot' is in regard to the final part where the camera is static on a tripod?

Otherwise, quite impressive actually if that's OIS only. Based on that, it would certainly be good enough for my needs.

I wouldn't walk with it, but hand held 'static' footage and maybe some very gentle push in/pull out...

Maybe it could be an S1H with a larger sensor...

Confirmed:

image.thumb.png.56a35135e7b1294c40e000fa6bd10dc6.png

To me, this is also another no-brainer to my book:

image.thumb.png.cadb034bcdfc4bdc61e1a6e28c2b9725.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, webrunner5 said:

Who the hell even has a 8k display to view it on, maybe a few in Japan but... But sure for visual effects why not. I really can't imagine any woman in the world wanting a closeup of them in 8k.

VR. Very important for VR when your eyeball is up against the scree, and moving your head automatically pans across a zoomed in crop of the image. 

17 hours ago, mercer said:

Good find @Emanuel that Augusto short film looks gorgeous. 

In fact, I praise Canon's efforts to give us this marvelous 2022 device, I'm sorry guys but I don't buy the customary negativism towards them this time ; ) Without mention the 5D series since the legendary and really re(D)volutionary Mark II and the M... let alone coupled to ML ;- )

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

In fact, I praise Canon's efforts to give us this marvelous 2022 device, I'm sorry guys but I don't buy the customary negativism towards them this time ; ) Without mention the 5D series since the legendary and really re(D)volutionary Mark II and the M... let alone coupled to ML ;- )

Yeah if I could justify this kind of purchase, or had any understanding of acquiring videography jobs, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Too

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Too bad they seem to have fucked it all up once again 🤭

007F3E8C-5817-4A96-A6A7-0EC10071436D.jpeg

Dunno, dunno... Is this actually bad?! Really?

Well, no idea about y'all fellows, but I've had a few cases where the manufacturers don't even admit any faulty unit, just to not mention any QC issues... go figure! : P

In a line, glad they did it : ) So I guess they've actually done it in the other way round to my book instead.

Comes to my mind... sorta when a teen ignores the beautiful curves of the new chick on the block just to avoid how to afford the high expenses for courting her... LOL ;- )

My next camera.

- EAG

42 minutes ago, PPNS said:

what if they'd shot it at like f/5.6 though, imagine how much better it would've looked. maybe they might have even missed focus less?

full frame video and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

Yeah, I like f/2.8-f/4 on FF. I'll shoot f/2 if there isn't a lot of movement to get some separation.

Weirdly, I'm really interested to see how the 3K raw S16 crop mode looks.