Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Look at how this idiot is shooting though... There is literally an electronic EVF. Using that alone would make footage probably twice as smooth.

EVF with any IS lens would be totally fine. I've done it with my C70. The main issue is lack of EVF for stability on the C70.

It depends on how you're using the camera.  I love the EVF / IBIS combo for vintage lenses on my GH5 but shooting low angles doesn't lend itself to using the EVF and high angles would require dozens of radical leg extension surgeries to enable me to use the EVF!

22 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I agree, his form was horrid and not a good representation at all but Gordon Lang did a better test and it was still jittery. I feel like the digital IS tries too hard or the proper logic just isn't quite there yet kind of like using warp stabilizer but with the wrong settings. I am hoping it could be greatly improved with a FW update if they manage to achieve feature parity with IBIS using digital IS then that would be perfect.

I do need it to work without the EVF though, I never use the EVF for video, I shoot a lot of low angles and rarely shoulder height so I need it to be able to produce smooth footage handheld with just a cage and side handle like the S5 does. Plus I just hate using EVF's, the backscreen for video and OVF for photography is so much more natural to me.

In-camera Electronic IS is handicapped compared to EIS done in post, because the camera can't predict future motion so easily but NLEs can easily do so.

With RAW files there isn't really any advantage to using the in-camera EIS so in that situation you can do a better job in-post, which if you have time to do it will always be a better option.  Plus if you're recording in 8K (or as I call it, ridiculous-o-vision) you can process the living bejeebers out of it and it'll still look fine once you downsample to 4K and run it through the YT hammer-the-shit-out-of-it compression and processing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, kye said:

It depends on how you're using the camera.  I love the EVF / IBIS combo for vintage lenses on my GH5 but shooting low angles doesn't lend itself to using the EVF and high angles would require dozens of radical leg extension surgeries to enable me to use the EVF!

Yeah, but he's not even using the EVF when shooting at eye level... Amateur hour. He's doing the camera a disservice.

10 hours ago, Django said:

As much as I hate micro HDMI, it does work (especially with a cage offering lock support).

But I just don't think the R5C is going to be aimed at shooters with full crews ( focus pullers, directors etc ).

Most likely one-man run & gun that needs photo/video inside a single cam..

This is a great camera someone like me that operates quickly and with a small agile crew.  I can fit a R5C, R5, and EOSR all battery grips into one bag plus lenses and audio gear….break them out and attach to a lens and tripod super fast for multi camera/angle shoots.  R5C will be my new A camera.

R5,EOSR, and C100MK2

BA8D8533-EF7F-484B-B717-98968AD87EDC.jpeg

Yes and no, as wrote above, gimbal can replace it : ) they're not the same either but, the balance on the package from a well designed product can fill the bill.

No idea why they didn't add it though, cost-wise or just marketing strategy, probably.

Expect something else to let it outdated one of these days then ;- )

Continuous 4k120 with Audio is a game changer for us. The R5 shoots gorgeous footage with a few well known issues. But even with the limitations, we still prefer them over all our other cameras in the office (much love for our BMPCC6kPro and Ursa G2, but they too have their fair share of issues). Jumped to pre-order an R5C today.

Here's a sample of how we use the footage in the first few seconds of one of my recent videos. No need for IBIS, the EVF is critical (and why we didn't buy a C70 before this) and this one pretty much hit all my wishes outside of built-in NDs. 

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Yeah, but he's not even using the EVF when shooting at eye level... Amateur hour. He's doing the camera a disservice.

It would be amateur hour if he was making a film, sure, but he's a reviewer, so stress testing the camera is the name of the game.

A review where they put the camera on a tripod, put on a low-quality lens, and film a stationary low-DR scene would be of basically zero value to anyone.  The purpose of testing a camera is to push it to, and past, its limits, so that the viewers can see what those limits are and align them to their own needs.

One thing that I really think is missing from the camera tests is a stabilisation testing setup.  If someone built a rig that was mechanically controlled to vibrate the camera across a range of frequencies at a range of amplitudes, and that were repeatable and therefore comparable, and put a bunch of cameras and lenses on it, then we'd be able to see how the cameras / lenses compare and then we wouldn't be trying to work out if that person has steadier hands than we do, or if they've had lots of coffee that day, or if it was cold, or if they were walking on a smooth or uneven surface, or what their blood sugar is like, etc..  

4 hours ago, Superka said:

For me the Photo-off-Video switch is the only really bad thing. When filming my kids I often want to take picture and that must be immidiatly.

I don't care about IBIS

Depending on the shutter angle you use, you could just record RAW and do a screen grab.  Even compressed 4K stills can be high quality, enough for printing magazine size anyway, so that's an option worth considering.  It also means you don't have to be Henri Cartier Bresson on the shutter button.

14 hours ago, herein2020 said:

How can you run and gun without IBIS? I went full circle, used to use monopods like a crutch, then discovered gimbals and tried to use them for everything, then re-discovered hand held with IBIS and now I shoot 90% of my video work for events, promo videos, etc. handheld.

Sort of the same...but slightly different...

I went from tripod  (various predecessors) to freestanding monopod (XT3) to handheld (S5 and S1H) because for my needs, the speed/flexibility of IBIS is key.

I have however just treated my S5 to a Crane 3 gimbal to give it a bit more flexibility. It's now going to be living on a tripod (with the gimbal and everything locked), but I've mounted it on a QR plate so it can go into gimbal mode whenever required and takes around 10 seconds to unlock, switch on etc.

I am opposed (for my needs) to:

Monopods/tripods if and where possible.

Gimbals. (I've tried twice before and hated it, but this new Crane 3 for the first time is small and light enough I can justify it for the 5% of the day I will actually use it and for under 400 euros, brings something of value to the table).

External rigging of monitors/recorders. 

External battery packs. OK, I have one welded to my tripod for such times any camera is on a tripod, but otherwise...

Surely, ALL Canon had to do here was add a fan to the back of the R5, maybe charge 500 extra and job done?

Otherwise I don't understand. Any of it...

Please please please Panasonic bring PDAF to your next line of S1/S5/Swhatever cameras and/or Fuji, just get the XH2 right and one of you will get my money next time round/possibly 2023.

But the R5C, - it WILL and DOES have appeal to some people, but they are very few people which means Canon either really are stupid, or they really are playing a very stupid game. Either way, I can't give them any of my money, so that is a fail on their part.

And for those that are interested, total handheld weight = 1809 grams (basically a smidge under 4lbs) including; gimbal, S5 body including battery & card, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, VND.

My tripod for it weighs just under 1kg so the whole lot combined is well under 3kg. Crazy light for the capability...

But I digress 😜

12 hours ago, BenEricson said:

There's this kind of clay look, similar to the processing the iPhone does. I own the C70 and I notice this too. This is great for a lot of applications, but even with "8k raw" this is still the same image since the C300 Mkii. It is not leaps and bounds better.

this is the elephant in the room.

wheres my 5d3 raw color? "clay" is right, skintones seem flat with no depth or translucency

Personally, its too much camera for me, but if someone gifted this to me.... I wouldn't say no....

If you check out Kai's video where he tests O.I.S + E.I.S... it isn't half bad.... in my opinion.

The only thing is that Video. Off. Picture. switch.... what were they thinking.... again Kai shows that there is a lag too.... this is that thing where if you want to shoot candid moments that 8 second lag between that switch over.... you're just going to miss everything.🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

We use the r6 and r5 as b cams for video at work. If you’d shot with them for any amount of time you know the ibis is not up to the task for professional work. The amount of times we got back to see weird warps on our footage is simply too high to trust it.

Especially on focal length from 24mm and wider

15 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I just don't think the Canon Cinema cameras are there in terms of skin tone, color depth, and dynamic range. Don't get me wrong, it looks great... But they're kind of cheating the skin tones. There's this kind of clay look, similar to the processing the iPhone does. I own the C70 and I notice this too. This is great for a lot of applications, but even with "8k raw" this is still the same image since the C300 Mkii. It is not leaps and bounds better.

Are you noticing this look from the RAW as well?

If not, it's rather odd and indicates perhaps excessive NR perhaps?  If it is in the RAW then that's even more strange and I really would know where that would be coming from...

I agree with Ben but I guess kye is also right when claims there's no actually need for ultra high-definition race, except for reframing and/or large format printing IMO : )

I believe frame rate will be the next trend for upcoming camera generations, what else? ; ) Low light, HDR look like to follow the resolution mantra :- )