Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, independent said:

Hmm, pro monitoring tools (false color, WF) are ostensibly absent in the leaked specs...not good.

They should be featured considering the R5C is a c-line cinema camera that needs to fit within a pro workflow. One of the dealbreakers of the Sony FX-3

it's not the full spec sheet, as the feature list was cut off. I'd be surprised if they didn't have these items when they are going out of their way to add "Expanded interface for professional needs". 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, HurtinMinorKey said:

it's not the full spec sheet, as the feature list was cut off. I'd be surprised if they didn't have these items when they are going out of their way to add "Expanded interface for professional needs". 

I am hoping that's what that means as well....pro tools but with Canon who knows....all I want is a WFM and monitoring LUT capabilities for CLOG3 is that too much to ask?

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Mmmh 8k 60p apparently only with external power source whatever it means....

What in the actually fuck. That is the cripple hammer right here. Unless you can have a battery grip and then do it. More detailed pictures on Canon Rumors. What the hell is that port on the top right of the picture.? Could this be the external power plug for 8K60p?

r5c1.jpg

47 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

What in the actually fuck. That is the cripple hammer right here. Unless you can have a battery grip and then do it. More detailed pictures on Canon Rumors. What the hell is that port on the top right of the picture.? Could this be the external power plug for 8K60p?

r5c1.jpg

I don't think this is a deal breaker IF the camera can be powered off of USB-C. The power draw is probably so great it almost makes sense. If it needs a full AC power supply though that would be a bummer but still not a complete deal breaker for me since I would probably never shoot 8K60.

43 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

I think Canon also removed the IBIS on the R5C. I would actually like that but for some it would definitely fall under the cripple hammer category.

Don't even breathe such a thing....now THAT would be a complete deal breaker for me and was the #1 reason that I lost interest in the C70. I absolutely need IBIS for the type of handheld shooting that I do and I hate the jittery look of C70 handheld footage. I am almost certain Canon would not make such an egregious error.

58 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

r5c1.jpg

I think is the timecode terminal

9 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I don't think this is a deal breaker IF the camera can be powered off of USB-C. The power draw is probably so great it almost makes sense. If it needs a full AC power supply though that would be a bummer but still not a complete deal breaker for me since I would probably never shoot 8K60.

Don't even breathe such a thing....now THAT would be a complete deal breaker for me and was the #1 reason that I lost interest in the C70. I absolutely need IBIS for the type of handheld shooting that I do and I hate the jittery look of C70 handheld footage. I am almost certain Canon would not make such an egregious error.

Hate to say I told you so - no IBIS. Which makes me happy. No sensor floating around making the camera less robust, no nauseating wobble when on the wide side and now they can mount the heatsink closer to the sensor.

This take suggests that it's a professional stills camera with a cinema camera basically thrown in for free.

That's one way to look at it.  The other way is that Canon have been half-crippling and selling their hybrid stills/cinema cameras as only stills cameras and the market has finally pushed them to stop doing it.  Of course, we know the potential of the hardware was always there because of Magic Lantern, but wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to the GH6.  Panasonics ethos seems to be "give the customer the most functionality from the hardware that they're paying for" and Canons ethos seems to be "give the customer the least functionality from the hardware that they'll still pay for".

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

omfg

OMFG is right.

I'd say "what the f* did I just watch" but I only made it to 2:27s.  I haven't seen acting that bad in a looooong time.

Then I thought, "did Canon give a pre-production model to some random influencers and this is what they posted?".  Nope.  CanonUSA official YT channel.

*facepalm*

It's been confirmed that it has micro-HDMI and no IBIS (see video below).

I shoot more photos than video, and therefore it's not a good replacement for my R5. Even though it makes sense to remove IBIS for heat management, it means it cannot replace my R5 and I won't pre-order it. For the second point, the micro-HDMI is currently broken on my R5, which just demonstrates what an odd (read bad) decision it was to not go for full-sized HDMI on the R5c.

Source:

20 minutes ago, kye said:

OMFG is right.

I'd say "what the f* did I just watch" but I only made it to 2:27s.  I haven't seen acting that bad in a looooong time.

Then I thought, "did Canon give a pre-production model to some random influencers and this is what they posted?".  Nope.  CanonUSA official YT channel.

*facepalm*

Worst intro video ever, it is so bad and completely useless.

A weird camera - Surely photographers will use the R5 that's smaller, lighter and has IBIS. Filmmakers will use the C70 that has NDs, XLR, Full HDMI and Clog2 

If it's designed for Photographers that occasionally shoot a bit of video surely the R5 is way more than they need. I really don't see a market for this camera. Although I have the same thoughts about the FX3 and people seem to use that. 

11 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

A weird camera - Surely photographers will use the R5 that's smaller, lighter and has IBIS. Filmmakers will use the C70 that has NDs, XLR, Full HDMI and Clog2 

If it's designed for Photographers that occasionally shoot a bit of video surely the R5 is way more than they need. I really don't see a market for this camera. Although I have the same thoughts about the FX3 and people seem to use that. 

The R5c is a perfect match to the 5.2mm VR lens, especially since this lens doesn't support IBIS.

I've got the 5.2mm on preorder since it was released, and is one of the reasons why I was looking forward to this announcement. However, with the current shortcomings, I would want to find out how the the 5.2 mm lens works on my R5 before making any more decisions.

Apparently 8k 50p is possible on internal battery, 8k 60p needs external power.

Seems that AF works in 8k 50 and 60.

Also 4k 60p is oversampled so sharper than the R5. Not sure about 120p

It has dual iso.

Finally it has all the C line assists like WF, false color, etc…

Price around 600$ more than R5.