Testing out my Olympus EM1 Mark II

dreamplayhouse

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Kewl! An exiting beautiful camera to look at and to hold in hands. Not so many official EM-1 MKII filmmakers around here.  I remember Oly had the best Jpeg colors in town with their Pen series. cheers

Thanks. For the price of $166 I figure it's a steal for video and will work just fine with electronic shutter.

4 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Definitely!

Did you shoot the video in 1080p or 4k?

Cinema 4K but I exported at 1080p.

I also enabled peaking but for whatever reason it did not show up when I shot video.

I'm still learning all this color grading/editing so what I do is I load the video from the camera into Resolve. Do all the grading, export at 1080p. Open in Premiere to edit and export again to H264. If this is all wrong, please let me know how to get best quality when exporting video from Resolve/Premiere.

6 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

$166

Wut?  You lucky bastard.  I need to hunt down something like this too.  And I thought I was sneaky getting an EM100III for $300 last year.  Your cam at least has an audio input for external recording.

1 hour ago, dreamplayhouse said:

export again to H264.

You could reverse the process by exporting an .xml and taking that into Resolve, but whatever works, I suppose.

2 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

I also enabled peaking but for whatever reason it did not show up when I shot video.

I'm still learning all this color grading/editing so what I do is I load the video from the camera into Resolve. Do all the grading, export at 1080p. Open in Premiere to edit and export again to H264. If this is all wrong, please let me know how to get best quality when exporting video from Resolve/Premiere.

Resolve has a video editor built in (well, two kinda!) so if you're not deeply attached to Premier then that's an option.

If you do want to still use Premier then make sure that when you go from one to the other that you use a very high quality codec like Prores HQ, otherwise you're effectively compressing the video twice, which will definitely degrade the image quality (well, three times actually, when you count YouTube compression!).

Depending on the type of project, you might consider doing the steps the other way around too, which is how most would do it.  ie, Edit the footage in Premier, then grade in Resolve.  In this way you're only doing a colour grade on the footage that makes it to the final edit.  This may or may not matter for your projects, but typically most project have the vast majority of footage not make it to the final edit, so you'd save yourself the time of grading footage that doesn't get used.

Great price on the camera BTW!  Olympus cameras are definitely under-rated.  I almost bought an Oly, but the 10-bit of the GH5 was just too tempting for what I shoot, but they make lovely images.

9 minutes ago, kye said:

Resolve has a video editor built in (well, two kinda!) so if you're not deeply attached to Premier then that's an option.

If you do want to still use Premier then make sure that when you go from one to the other that you use a very high quality codec like Prores HQ, otherwise you're effectively compressing the video twice, which will definitely degrade the image quality (well, three times actually, when you count YouTube compression!).

Depending on the type of project, you might consider doing the steps the other way around too, which is how most would do it.  ie, Edit the footage in Premier, then grade in Resolve.  In this way you're only doing a colour grade on the footage that makes it to the final edit.  This may or may not matter for your projects, but typically most project have the vast majority of footage not make it to the final edit, so you'd save yourself the time of grading footage that doesn't get used.

Great price on the camera BTW!  Olympus cameras are definitely under-rated.  I almost bought an Oly, but the 10-bit of the GH5 was just too tempting for what I shoot, but they make lovely images.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

On 1/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, dreamplayhouse said:

You have to set peaking to a custom button, once you do that you have to press it before you hit record for the peaking to work. Took me forever to figure out why peaking wouldn’t work with my vintage lenses. It’s in the movie menu under the customize buttons setting. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, CyclingBen said:

You have to set peaking to a custom button, once you do that you have to press it before you hit record for the peaking to work. Took me forever to figure out why peaking wouldn’t work with my vintage lenses. It’s in the movie menu under the customize buttons setting. 

pretty sure its the same on the e-m10 mark two as well. i vaguely remember spending some time on figuring it out. i suspect it would be the same across the Olympus range. 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, CyclingBen said:

Yes! thank you