US Camera rental trends (LensRentals data)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like they might have released a new range of lenses....

https://ymcinema.com/2021/12/27/cinema-lenses-angenieux-ultra-compact-ultra-zooms-and-primes/

They're suggesting the EZ range is good for going handheld:
https://blog.angenieux.com/angénieux-ez-lenses-a-definite-choice-for-handheld

1-3.jpg

That seems to be a reasonable suggestion...  at least, moreso than with the Optimo range!

Womens-Cinema-Meet-1st-AC-Amanda-Wojtasz

• Administrators

Tokina had a tiny increase as well.

Otherwise it looks to me as if the release of so many Canon EOS R cameras and lenses in 20-21 did take business of nearly ALL the other brands.

Really like the look of those small Angenieux

Why are people so Canon obsessed?

Not obsessed, I think it has a lot to do with the network effect of EF lenses, which are compatible with all Canon and Blackmagic cameras. Many upgrade or rent R-bodies to use with their existing EF lenses. 

It’s just cheaper and easier using EF than investing in a different system such as e-mount, despite some gems there. EF is ubiquitous at rental houses in NY.

Red’s strategy (and success) with the Komodo can be attributed at least partially to the RF mount. I own the Komodo and the R5, and I can use the same lenses with the c300iii/c500ii we rent.

I like the Fx3/fx6 but they don’t fit.  

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Otherwise it looks to me as if the release of so many Canon EOS R cameras and lenses in 20-21 did take business of nearly ALL the other brands.

It's what people know / started with, I think. I know so many people who don't even consider trying out other brands. It's strange. 

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I missed Tokina having a small bump - also interesting.

The Angenieux EZ series is pretty interesting.  B&H have them listed for USD$14K each.  15-40mm T2 and 30-90mm T2 seem pretty on the money, and 4.7lb 2.2kg each is very reasonable.  Apparently this was shot on them..

A quick look through the B&H PL cinema zooms listing shows that Tokina have a bunch of price-competitive offerings, and also that the EZ zooms are faster and cheaper than the Zeiss CZ.2 series which are 28-80mm T2.9 and 70-200mm T2.9 at USD$22K and 15-30mm T2.9 at USD$26K.

I'd imagine they'll be very popular.  A set of these and a Komodo would be an impeccable image for a very modest price.

I wonder why the Canon 5D Mark IV is at number 2? Even for stills, the R5 and R6 are both better.

Nikon is not doing well, kind of as expected. It's sad to see. I still remember the days when Canon and Nikon were the most popular brands, but Sony and Panasonic were doing the right things again and again while Nikon waited and did nothing.

1 hour ago, aaa123jc said:

Nikon is not doing well, kind of as expected. It's sad to see. I still remember the days when Canon and Nikon were the most popular brands, but Sony and Panasonic were doing the right things again and again while Nikon waited and did nothing.

Do we know how they operate their business? You cant rent brand X if they don't have enough units of brand X, on purpose! 

3 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Do we know how they operate their business? You cant rent brand X if they don't have enough units of brand X, on purpose! 

IDK. Where I live, the rental houses don't even offer Nikon.

Nevertheless, if certain brand is popular and beloved, the retnal houses are going to buy tons of units of that brand because these products are profitable. At the end of the day, profit is what matters for most businesses.

• Administrators
On 1/2/2022 at 6:25 PM, aaa123jc said:

I wonder why the Canon 5D Mark IV is at number 2? Even for stills, the R5 and R6 are both better.

There's always a bit of inertia when it comes to user habits, not everybody likes to live on the cutting edge and will prefer to pick up something they're familiar with, tried and tested.

5D IV will soon drop off though, give it a couple of years.

20 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

If you already own a workhorse 5D IV and need a second one for like doing a wedding (backup or second shooter), it makes sense to rent the same as you have.

That makes sense.

One of the other charts showed that renting batteries is also a thing, so if you rent what you already have then it's not an issue...

image.png.4be63a479d70bed401c9e4c39ae5582b.png