Some really lovely cinematography

Tim Sewell

Another one hot off the presses...

Less flickering in this one, but still some.

Watching this video shows how with LED proliferation almost all lights flicker to some degree.

It's probably not a huge concern as not many productions need to shoot slow-motion, in public, at night.  Those that do are likely high-budget action features that can afford to use VFX to correct these things in post.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Some nice images does not make a cinematographer (or DP).

Nice videography.....sure.

true. 

Still you have to admire someone, who's actually out there giving it a go, and consistently i might add. 

We should Probably ask @Andrew Reid about  hosting another competition. You know, New year, new sever, new competition.  In the interests of incentivizing a few people and maybe getting a few of us off our asses, i'm prepared to offer up a bottle of australia's finest ( well i presume it's Australia's finest, as i don't drink the stuff. Which is why its currently sitting there unopened. ). 

rum.thumb.jpg.06635c98b9bc70a07ef2bc63dfb6a316.jpg

Its not a new camera i know, However if you were to win i'm sure it would make you feel all nice and warm and maybe fuzzy inside depending on how quick you drink it 😉

May as well base the project off this thread, i propose we do a series of locked of shots on a city at night, which can include a sunset or sunrise. How hard can it be ? 🤔

The last competition had an element of cost involved to keep things fairly even. As noted in another thread, a bunch of us have cameras that don't get much use. This time around lets showcase our cameras and portray your city in cinematography awesomeness.  Oh and make sure you have some fun as thats important too.

Like kye and others stated. To pick the vista, to find the perspective after having gone distances literally takes effort and skill, framing the shot with the right lens, to chose the perspective, all that is done very well. The result is stunning images indeed. I like the notion of a challenge.

By the way, asfaik, all people involved in the last challenge did not want to receive anything after the votes were published, because, after a all, some of the used cameras still cost up to 200usd. We all did not want to do this to our mates in the end.:) I like the idea of offering something to the winner, which we chose by ourselves, if we participate as well. I also like the challenge and joy we can have without a contest and vote, just to do it and share it. I feel inspired to see Berlin through open eyes. Which camera do I choose:) I think this time I would love the luxury of a camera bettering an 8bit photo camera from 2014.:)

On 1/7/2022 at 10:30 PM, A_Urquhart said:

Some nice images does not make a cinematographer (or DP).

Nice videography.....sure.

I don’t think anyone ever said that... I would have to say this is cinematography, though. She’s using a particular vintage lens, camera, filtration, image processing, and shooting at particular time of day and weather conditions all to get that look.

Everyone acting like this is super easy. You’re all literally sleeping and she’s out shooting. 🤷🏼‍♂️

“Oh I could do this for sure. It’s not that good. Nice video.” Weird.

47 minutes ago, mercer said:

Technically, I don't think anybody on this forum would be considered a cinematographer or DP.

I consider myself to becoming one. I have a lot of respect for the footage and its DP above. As a gaffer I have been an integral part contributing my lights to different DPs cinematography over the last couple of years. We all work hard for the art and dont get paid well often in the microcosm outside the general tv industry. But recognizing the average quality some well paid people produce, I won' t hesitate anymore to call myself becoming a cinematographer. By heart, effort and work ethic. 😊 And regarding framing, lensing and feeling and seeing I would consider you the same:) @mercer
I hope to get to post more in the future and to enjoy the effects of exchange and inspiration. Well all could do more of that and remember what it takes to produce material like the og post shares.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

I consider myself to becoming one. I have a lot of respect for the footage and its DP above.

I should have been more clear with my comment. I meant, in Hollywood standards and the rules of the ASC. I'm barely a competent camera operator and that woman is way more talented than I am.

We're all striving to be better at the craft and she deserves and earned the same respect anyone on this forum would ask for.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I should have been more clear with my comment. I meant, in Hollywood standards and the rules of the ASC. I'm barely a competent camera operator and that woman is way more talented than I am.

We're all striving to be better at the craft and she deserves and earned the same respect anyone on this forum would ask for.

I wouldnt second the assumption of lesser talent at all. It's lack of opportunity and collaboration. In the end Eoshd could develop a bit more into a collab space with meaningful feedback and exercises and experiments plus curated discussions. So how about for all the contributors of this thread, to try to give a meaningful vista a glowy gloomy painterly look, just one framing. Should be possible to attempt.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

And at its core... cinematography is about making pretty images.

Technically, I don't think anybody on this forum would be considered a cinematographer or DP.

I think she did a nice job with a camera that isn't known for its lowlight capabilities.

Right, but the word cinematographer or DP is really just a fancy name for a camera person. Saying it is “nice videography” sounds like an effort was made to sound condensing.

All labels aside. Great camera work. Some of those shots could easily be throw into a feature. 

I think the Komodo does well with the color depth. It reminds me of the richness nighttime scenes have with 35mm. The A7 Sony stuff didn’t look as good to me.

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Right, but the word cinematographer or DP is really just a fancy name for a camera person. Saying it is “nice videography” sounds like an effort was made to sound condensing.

All labels aside. Great camera work. Some of those shots could easily be throw into a feature. 

I think the Komodo does well with the color depth. It reminds me of the richness nighttime scenes have with 35mm. The A7 Sony stuff didn’t look as good to me.

Agreed. That video alone could get her a job shooting 2nd Unit on a feature.

The Komodo looks amazing and for only the double the price of the A7...

I love the promo film Jason Momoa shot with his...

And this one looks pretty good too... check out the highlights in her hair...

Even though, I don't refer exactly to the cinematography department but, why so much lovely pictures (at times)? If the content is repeatedly a continuous never ending déjà-vu of more the same, ad nauseam, to almost invariably make an intelligent guy or gal sleep?

Blockbusters aka Hollywood barely get success to be beyond than a wider audience they need to be up. And this means to shorten the diversity of time and space the cinema is to be able to be understood by as many as possible. Seems a contradiction but it is rather the opposite ; ) This difficulty leads to nowhere or anything really valuable and... new. (EAG :- )

19 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I've flip-flopped on what cinematographer vs videographer really means and what is implied.

It used to not only imply professional vs amateur, but also large set vs one-person, scripted vs unscripted, and big slow ILC vs handycam.  There was basically no overlap between the two genres except for high-end documentary work.

Now, with ILC 4K cameras and professional quality lighting, sound, and grip being affordable for basically everyone, and many productions destined for the cinema and TV being shot guerrilla style with partial / no script, available lighting only, and other "video" aspects, the old definitions no longer really apply.

BUT, I believe new differentiators have emerged:

• Videography seems to be about recording events with the maximum technical fidelity to reality.  This means the highest resolution cameras and lenses.  
    In order to lend some interest to what is optically dull-as-dishwater there is increasing demand for shallow-DoF (and the associated AF requirements lest someone actually move while being on camera), ARRI-level colour science, and other 'props'.  These are required in order to compete in the technical arms race being fought between manufacturers, the public, and videographers.
  • Cinematography seems to be about recording images with the maximum emotional fidelity to the narrative.
    This means filming the minimum resolution (2K for cinemas or 4K if the studio demands it or more if the VFX people demand it) and tempering the harsh camera outputs with vintage lenses, diffusion, and all manner of devices to soften the appearance of what the camera is pointing at.  Lenses with heavy distortions are also used.

I think the videography market today is similar to the stills photography market from a decade (or two) ago, where the majority of the industry were complaining about it being a race-to-the-bottom and yet there were high-end photographers writing guest-blog-entries every other week saying that you can charge more when you stop focusing on the technical and focus on the artistic side of the equation and then people will hire you for the emotional content of your images instead of the megapixels in your camera.

So despite me literally being a dad who makes home videos (in the way that dads have been waving around a camcorder since they were first introduced) I find myself identifying solely with the cinematography camp, and basically not with the videography camp at all.

I think that this re-arrangement is one of the creations of the DSLR revolution, which was bound to end up with different disciplines 

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Don't underestimate yourselves guys, the most part of hollywood stuff is plainly garbage (EAG :- )

I think that mostly the problem with Hollywood is the studios, who green-light poor but predictable scripts.  The rest of the production I think is ham-strung from that point on.  The cinematographers and directors might be the best in the business, but if they're not given latitude by the studio and producer to really push things then the results will be dull.

The studio system in Hollywood is a factory production line designed for maximum throughput and minimisation of risk.  That's why all sitcoms look the same:

Why action movies are imminently forgettable:

etc.

It's only when someone is famous enough to specify full creative control that the entire production isn't operating with one (or both) of its creative hands tied behind its back.