Canon officially discontinue entire DSLR range, 1D X Mark III to cease production

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

SDIM0002-scaled.jpg

The optical viewfinder and EF mount is officially dead.

An opportunity for Pentax to take over a niche market?

In an interview with the Japanese press (https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/economy/20211228-OYT1T50000/), CEO Fujio Mitarai says the 1D X Mark III will be the final Canon DSLR in production, and when it ceases production that'll be it. There will be no future 5D after the current Mark IV and no new 7D.

This news just 2 years ago would have been unthinkable.

Full blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-officially-discontinue-entire-dslr-range-1d-x-mark-iii-to-cease-production/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In fact, the statement in the (translated) article is:

"Canon's SLR flagship model is known as the "EOS-1" series, the first of which appeared in 1989. The latest model "EOS-1D X Mark 3" released in 2020 will be the last model in fact."

He is talking about flagship DSLRs. Maybe they could release some midrange models (the Rebels still are VERY sought after here). even some kind of 5Dish model. But probably they will just keep selling the current models until there is no more demand.

I still buy lenses for my S1H in EF mount, due to the resale value! It's useful as it prevents you getting stuck in one system, kind of a universal mount that you adapt to (if you don't mind bad or non-existent autofocus). EF will be missed...

Still, I guess they've just had to embrace the reality of the future...

I remember you posted a long while back about Canon not making much profit, or maybe a loss from their camera division, I wonder if that's another reason? People simply aren't buying their cameras in great quantities?

Plus i guess the ongoing chip shortage leads tech businesses to focus on profitable lines, where the R&D input leads to greater profit...

It was a long time coming though. I think the future looks distinctly Sony shaped, they just sell so so many of their cameras. I really hope Panasonic keep going in the current vein as the S1H just has absolutely everything, except autofocus. Plus that it'd be near perfect.

• Administrators

Hey JG good to see you back. I think it's RIP DSLRs because they are taking sales away from EOS R lenses, as people like us already do, a lot of people still buy EF because we can use them on all the new mirrorless systems.

So if they nuke the entire line-up and EF mount cameras, they bait everyone into switching systems.

Some thoughts on that:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/eoshd-outlives-the-canon-dslr/

A lot of money in pros switching and having to rebuild their entire EF mount lenses in R mount.

It may however backfire on Canon as some will see it as an opportunity to dump Canon DSLRs and take their EF lenses with them to Sony, Nikon or Panasonic.

Funny enough, I was browsing for some steals and found a 5D2 for 350EU. It is a very pretty camera to hold and to look at. Just love the robust and no nonsense body and design. BUT, I do not own any EF lenses for photography nor sufficient glas in Nikon mount besides my Tokina 28-70 2.6 and a Vivitatr 35mm 1.9.  No chance to adapt FD glas, which I have a handful fun and nice lenses for. There is a fascination coming from these big robust full frame DSLRs. I can imagine snapping a 5D2 or 5d3 sometime soon.

When a friend of mine dped for a musicvideo he had a 5d2 on set for bts photos. That camera gave me great pleasure to hold in the hand and the satisfying sound of the mirror really made it click to me. My S1 does not resonat to me like that at all. Hardly do photography with it at all. Video as B- or Ccam only so for due to lack of rigging and batteries.

Nikon will make out like bandits then. There are pro photographers who will never switch away from a reflex finder. My father is a landscape and wildlife photographer, he switched a couple years ago from Canon to Nikon, and has never looked back. For some, these two brands are basically the only two they’d even consider, specifically because of full pro full frame reflex models, and one of the two just end-of-life’d all their reflex bodies. 

I’d love to see Oly step into that second slot, or even better, Fuji GFX. Sony and Panasonic will never, it’s just not their style. 

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

A lot of money in pros switching and having to rebuild their entire EF mount lenses in R mount.

I knew a professional photographer (think Sports Illustrated covers) who switched from Nikon to Canon back when Canon F-1 was their top of the line camera.  He said he could only afford the switch because Canon sponsored him.  He also did a USA television commercial for Canon.

So, I think pro photographers will wait until it is absolutely necessary to switch. 

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It may however backfire on Canon as some will see it as an opportunity to dump Canon DSLRs and take their EF lenses with them to Sony, Nikon or Panasonic.

Yeah that's pretty much what I've done! I now have Panasonic and Sony bodies and the relevant adapters. Though I had to get some E-mount native for optimum autofocus, but I've not really been tempted to join Canon R.

Canon said nearly 2 years ago that new EF lens designs are unlikely to be coming to the market.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/our-focus-is-on-rf-says-canon-no-new-ef-lenses-unless-market-demands-it

Of course it makes sense that they will try and fill out the RF lens range as soon as possible. There is something to be said for the versatility of the EF lenses but the new lenses do tend to be optically better (compare the 50mm F1.2 EF to RF). I was glad to see the return of the aperture ring on some Sony lenses and I think the control ring on the RF lenses can be useful.

Having a larger range of RF lenses will encourage more users to switch whilst others will be more than happy to just use an adapter.

I'm kinda surprised Pentax isn't more popular among optical viewfinder reflex diehards. Seems like they have excellent lenses and feature rich cameras that do just about anything. The K-1 is legendary among Pentax users and Pentax has a 645 medium format line they could revive and compete against FujiFilm GFX system with a fairly extensive lens lineup from 33mm to 400mm (FF 21mm to 312).

I wonder who else will join the medium format party? Fujifilm is really making inroads among landscape photographers with  GFX line.

I think an open-letter video letter for Canon must be created, asking them not to do this. 

With DSLR I can frame shot with camera switched off (in sleep mode). This for me is great advantage, when taking landscape, cityscape shots. 

Mirrorless needs to be waked up each time. 

Andrew said Fuji are mirrorless, - yes, but Fuji have optical VF cameras!

On 1/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, Superka said:

I think an open-letter video letter for Canon must be created, asking them not to do this. 

With DSLR I can frame shot with camera switched off (in sleep mode). This for me is great advantage, when taking landscape, cityscape shots. 

Mirrorless needs to be waked up each time. 

Andrew said Fuji are mirrorless, - yes, but Fuji have optical VF cameras!

I think you might have some difficulty getting them to turn around their corporate policy on that basis.  But you can give it a go.  You just have to find the other seven people around the world that feel strongly about that particular facility.

21 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

I think you might have some difficulty getting them to turn around their corporate policy on that basis.  But you can give it a go.  You just have to find the other seven people around the world that feel strongly about that particular facility.

I'm not so sure...  it's a good way to ensure the camera doesn't catch fire and burn your face while composing the shot 🙂 

It can't be viable for Canon to have two mounts to cater to. Clearly the future is RF. And hence at some point they have to kill off EF. Personally I have an R6 but no L series RF glass. I find them too expensive and plasticky. I like vintage glass on modern sensors anyways and some EF designs are really starting to feel "vintage"! The RF lens range is also still pretty incomplete. Still not a 35mm L series lens which is insane imo (the 35mm F1.4 L EF II still being my all-time favorite).

As for DSLR yeah they will be missed. I still have my 5D classic. Do love optical viewfinder and all-over ergonomics and reliability. My R6 feels like a toy in comparison and single point AF on the joystick feels cumbersome. It's like something got lost in translation with the jump to mirrorless. If I were a sport/action shooter no doubt I'd cling on to any 1DX vs mirrorless.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:40 PM, Mmmbeats said:

Now I know Canon will continue developing DSLR, so no worries. They were talking about flagship DSLR only, which I don't care about.

Canon will continue to make some newer EF lenses as long as there's demand, especially with holes in the RF lineup. I've had backorders come through in the past two months.

By the way, the 35mm 1.4 II is the finest EF lens ever...like a Zeiss Otus 35mm w/ AF. I'll be sad when the RF replacement comes, because I do prefer the aesthetics of EF lenses. Better finish, less prone to scuffing, and a nicer ergonomic design. The RF lenses feel like girthy unwashed street bangers in hand.