Looking at Sony ZV E10 as a hands-off b-cam for S1H. Any thoughts?

jgharding

Here's a first pass at matching up the ZV E10 and S1H, it's not perfect with the shirt and a slight tonal difference, but getting there, definitely will be close enough once I have it finalised, so I'm pretty happy. It didn't miss focus for the whole shoot. Which is more than can be said for me.

The rolling shutter is so bad though that if someone sways back and forth their head bends HAHAHA

But in general it's great, so if sony ever release a new APSC sensor cam with faster readout I'll likely upgrade to that. Or possible an A7S3 if I find I really start to enjoy the Sony more.

Untitled2_2.2.1.thumb.jpg.81ae61703bda2b3bf6c79f76e76fe3ed.jpg
Untitled_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.0105e4c92c4c5d1e91227f201fca75b2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good job @jgharding

I decided just a couple of days ago to bump up my ZV1 to gimbal duty for those occasions when I need reliable AF.

Matching it to the S1H and S5 will be even harder I suspect, but it’s currently my best and only option so…

I tried the S5 with small/light lens in the Crane M3 but it was pushing the limit really…not that I really know much (anything) about gimbals, but the ZV1 is a much better fit. And the results are always in focus which means I don’t wish to smash it to bits.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Is that Abbey Road mastering?

I very much enjoyed the Radiophonic Recordings one that you did recently so look forward to seeing this too if its on SOS at some point?

Yeah that's right! Upcoming videos on vinyl mastering and another little surprise one too! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed radiophonic, that was quite a long day that one 🤣

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Good job @jgharding

I decided just a couple of days ago to bump up my ZV1 to gimbal duty for those occasions when I need reliable AF.

Matching it to the S1H and S5 will be even harder I suspect, but it’s currently my best and only option so…

I tried the S5 with small/light lens in the Crane M3 but it was pushing the limit really…not that I really know much (anything) about gimbals, but the ZV1 is a much better fit. And the results are always in focus which means I don’t wish to smash it to bits.

Cheers, I was using the ZV E10 a bit on a Zhiyun Crane M3 on this day, I didn't quite get it yet, I'm a bit wobbly, but getting the hang of it. But yeah in order to use a manual focus cam on gimbal you need a wireless follow focus etc, takes forever to set up blah blah... this is way easier. You just get the shot!

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Good job @jgharding

Soooo... are you saying i should keep my Sony a6500 (Sony 8-bit aps-c, no HLG profile, but Cine 1 through Cine 4 as well as Slog-2 and all it's rainbow of skin tones glory) for using on a gimbal when I need autofocus???

I really dislike the colors out of sony, but worried that my E-M1 MK II isn't going to hold up in the low light of shooting weddings.

And, as you know, Panasonic autofocus... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh come on I hope you are not using a Sony A6500 as the holy grail of Sony color... I think the latest Sony colors are right at the top of the heap CS wise. Sure the older stuff was wonky, but I think the older A7s stuff was unique enough to be pretty good. I like mine yet.

I personally think Canon has gone backwards. Nikon, too contrasty and dark, Panny FF yeah good stuff.

13 hours ago, jgharding said:

Here's a first pass at matching up the ZV E10 and S1H, it's not perfect with the shirt and a slight tonal difference, but getting there, definitely will be close enough once I have it finalised, so I'm pretty happy. It didn't miss focus for the whole shoot. Which is more than can be said for me.

The rolling shutter is so bad though that if someone sways back and forth their head bends HAHAHA

But in general it's great, so if sony ever release a new APSC sensor cam with faster readout I'll likely upgrade to that. Or possible an A7S3 if I find I really start to enjoy the Sony more.

Untitled2_2.2.1.thumb.jpg.81ae61703bda2b3bf6c79f76e76fe3ed.jpg
Untitled_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.0105e4c92c4c5d1e91227f201fca75b2.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.  If someone notices then they're probably not paying attention to the subject matter.

I watched a YT video on colour matching different cameras and the guy said that the footage needs to look "like it comes from the same universe" which I thought made a lot of sense, as essentially as long as the colour differences aren't so obvious that they break the illusion then they won't be noticeable and so are fine.

Interesting that the top one has the greener mids (the shirt) and the more magenta shadows (the shadow on the wall) compared to the bottom one, when they've been matched on skintones and the wall colour.

How much colour work did you have to do for these shots? 

11 hours ago, jgharding said:

Yeah that's right! Upcoming videos on vinyl mastering and another little surprise one too! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed radiophonic, that was quite a long day that one 🤣

Cheers, I was using the ZV E10 a bit on a Zhiyun Crane M3 on this day, I didn't quite get it yet, I'm a bit wobbly, but getting the hang of it. But yeah in order to use a manual focus cam on gimbal you need a wireless follow focus etc, takes forever to set up blah blah... this is way easier. You just get the shot!

Identical to a T, except ZV1 for me.

If I’d waited a year, I would have gone for your slightly bigger sibling, but as my use case is so limited, I’ll stick with it for this year.

5 hours ago, kye said:

Interesting that the top one has the greener mids (the shirt) and the more magenta shadows (the shadow on the wall) compared to the bottom one, when they've been matched on skintones and the wall colour.

How much colour work did you have to do for these shots? 

Yeah the top is the sony, that's the side affect of matching for skin, as that there is a tiny tint in other areas, that is what I'll dial out with secondary

The S1H is just a coversion LUT of mine and a node before for tweaks. I think the sony match is done in about 5 nodes, could probably be condensed into fewer but I like to be able to switch each on and off

The first node in the Sony is my own LUT though, with a new cam the first thing I do is spend a couple of days making a match LUT for my main cam, it saves tons of future time

Basically you can just do as many nodes ad you like in resolve and export that as a 65-point LUT, and that becomes your match LUT, so you only do the work once.

ACES is another option, but I quite like doing things my own way tbh, using a combination of stock conversion LUTS and my own tweaks

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

There's a fella on YouTube who is pretty good with the ZV1 and possibly now ZV E10 and he reckons the HLG option is where it's at also and what I am currently using.

Yeah i reckon he is right, I spent a whole day doing dull tests to come to the same conclusion, the end result after pulling about in Resolve is essentially the same, except log had a slightly less saturated skin and you had to overexpose which is just a bit confusing, so now it's locked on HLG for me.