Sony a7iv OVERHEATING AND PROBLEMS

NiniBuba

Ran some more tests. Took a lot but I finally got mine to overheat. I filled a 128gb card shooting SI at 4k60p which was 27 minutes, no issues. Then I switched to 24p which filled another card in 1hr 8 min, no issues. Then I did a simultaneous recording, 4k60p XAVC S - so it recorded 1hr 20 min to both cards, no issues. So my conclusion is after 7 straight hours of recording - only stopping to swap batteries and delete those long ass takes - my camera has zero issues with the screen out. 

So then I put the screen into the body and did the simultaneous 4k60p recording again. It shut down after 27 minutes recording to both cards. I flipped the camera off and then right back on and hit record and got over 14 minutes more recording before it shut down - again recording to both cards. This was after all the previous recording and the camera was already pretty warm.

I never shoot with the screen flat against the body. I'm 6'2" and never have the camera at eye level, so the screen is always flipped out so I can see it. Over 7 hours works for me, the a7IV is a keeper. A few more shots of the camera in action.

Cheers

Chris

39E87020-6A93-4C5E-B8AE-2BE8B0F7D021.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Ran some more tests. Took a lot but I finally got mine to overheat. I filled a 128gb card shooting SI at 4k60p which was 27 minutes, no issues. Then I switched to 24p which filled another card in 1hr 8 min, no issues. Then I did a simultaneous recording, 4k60p XAVC S - so it recorded 1hr 20 min to both cards, no issues. So my conclusion is after 7 straight hours of recording - only stopping to swap batteries and delete those long ass takes - my camera has zero issues with the screen out. 

So then I put the screen into the body and did the simultaneous 4k60p recording again. It shut down after 27 minutes recording to both cards. I flipped the camera off and then right back on and hit record and got over 14 minutes more recording before it shut down - again recording to both cards. This was after all the previous recording and the camera was already pretty warm.

I never shoot with the screen flat against the body. I'm 6'2" and never have the camera at eye level, so the screen is always flipped out so I can see it. Over 7 hours works for me, the a7IV is a keeper. A few more shots of the camera in action.

Cheers

Chris

Good to hear it is working well.

Wonder if the majority of issues are caused by problematic batteries???

15 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Cheers

Chris

I'd suggest that maybe it suddenly overheated when someone said something wildly offensive, but I don't see any shots of Jeremy Clarkson, so maybe the theory doesn't hold.....

😆😆😆

a7IV overheating test pt. 2
Did another run test without airplane mode since someone asked the question on FB - had the LCD out and today I plugged a mic in just to try and create more heat. I ran the battery dead and shot 1hr and 50min of 10-bit 422 XAVC S 4k60p. The battery crapped out about 30 seconds after I took the pic. No temp warning and the camera was warm, but wasn't that hot, same for the battery. Below is what I've managed without an overheating shutdown - AF-c and the camera pointed at the TV to get faces/eyes, Steadyshot on, auto ISO that was changing with the different light on the TV, airplane mode, LCD out, temp set to high, prograde 128gb v90's:
-- Over 7 hours of XAVC S 4k60p 10-bit 422 only stopping to swap batteries and delete the file after filling my 128gb card at 1hr 20min
-- Multiple dual recording of XAVC SI at 60p and 24p until cards were full or the battery died
-- Simultaneous dual recording of 10-bit 422 4k60p XAVC S until both cards were full
-- 27min of dual recording with the LCD against the body and it shut down, then another 14 min after immediately restarting - these two runs were after doing all of the above all day yesterday, that's about 9 hours of non-stop recording with no issues, then the shut down
Today's test was the same as above, just airplane off. I can't get mine to overheat unless the LCD is against the body, but I don't shoot that way and knowing it won't overheat with it out - I will not hesitate using this in a professional environment alongside my a7sIII. The a7IV is a winner for me.

Chris

15DA11ED-0D9B-45D2-9E11-A05D1FF38FAB.jpeg

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

a7IV overheating test pt. 2
Did another run test without airplane mode since someone asked the question on FB - had the LCD out and today I plugged a mic in just to try and create more heat. I ran the battery dead and shot 1hr and 50min of 10-bit 422 XAVC S 4k60p. The battery crapped out about 30 seconds after I took the pic. No temp warning and the camera was warm, but wasn't that hot, same for the battery. Below is what I've managed without an overheating shutdown - AF-c and the camera pointed at the TV to get faces/eyes, Steadyshot on, auto ISO that was changing with the different light on the TV, airplane mode, LCD out, temp set to high, prograde 128gb v90's:
-- Over 7 hours of XAVC S 4k60p 10-bit 422 only stopping to swap batteries and delete the file after filling my 128gb card at 1hr 20min
-- Multiple dual recording of XAVC SI at 60p and 24p until cards were full or the battery died
-- Simultaneous dual recording of 10-bit 422 4k60p XAVC S until both cards were full
-- 27min of dual recording with the LCD against the body and it shut down, then another 14 min after immediately restarting - these two runs were after doing all of the above all day yesterday, that's about 9 hours of non-stop recording with no issues, then the shut down
Today's test was the same as above, just airplane off. I can't get mine to overheat unless the LCD is against the body, but I don't shoot that way and knowing it won't overheat with it out - I will not hesitate using this in a professional environment alongside my a7sIII. The a7IV is a winner for me.

Chris

15DA11ED-0D9B-45D2-9E11-A05D1FF38FAB.jpeg

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working out for you.

Had a pretty rough day with my S1 today so I am definitely envious of Sony autofocusing (pretty hard to focus the S1 when one's glasses keep fogging up due to wearing a mask).

45 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So what's the overall gist of it so far then - experiences are all so differently. One guy had it go 2 hours in 4K/60p and the other had it go 15 minutes in the menus!

Is it far worse in USB power mode?

Seems to be a few duds, there will be sample variance, even if everything is within spec. The only way I've been able to get mine to overheat is with the LCD against the body, but that was after recording all day without issue. But we know that's where the camera gets the hottest, its always been that way with Sony. Someone of FM said theirs overheated after just 2 min shooting 4k60p sitting on a desk in a cool Canadian basement shooting XAVC S 10-bit 422. I'm testing in 77 or 78f-ish temps, not exactly hot, but I'm easily surpassing Sony's claimed room temp record times. I used the same 422 bitrate option to fill card after card with no issues - even when recording to both cards simultaneously. *shrug*

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone here attempted using the HDMI output on their a7iv? I bought one to use both for photo and for video, and for video I was planning on using my ninja v that I use with my a7siii. When I plugged into the ninja the camera immediately overheated, within 15 min. No recording, just sitting idle outputting hdmi. I've tested with every resolution, frame rate, af setting, and no change. Even with 1080p it heats up quickly, and even with auto-shutoff set to high. If I don't hit record internally it will last over an hour outputting, but if I record a single minute of footage it immediately overheats. This is my second a7iv body, I exchanged for a new one because of this exact issue, and the new one is identical. And this is middle of winter. If I ever try to use it during the summer or in a warmer room it will be unusable even for just external output. 

As an update, I did manage to record a full 128gb card with 60fps no overheating, weird.

I tried the HDMI output for you, set to 4K 24fps 100mbps, dual card rec (IBIS and AF on, shading comp off) to Shogun 7. 

Weirdly the Atomos screen showed 4K 60fps input... and the HDMI record trigger does not work. Poked around on google and someone said do not use auto settings for HDMI. I changed it to 4K out and Shogun accepted 24p signal.  HDMI record trigger still not working though,

HDMI input cut out intermittedly with a 1080p cable, replaced it with 8K cable and it was fine.

Anyhoo, recorded for 1.5hr total without issue (several short restarts with settings changes) then I cut the test short.

🤷‍♂️ 

Maybe point a fan at the camera? I thought I would get rid of one A7SIII when this came in but I don't think I will. This poor A7IV has only been subject to tests and not even used yet!

I'm assuming you know you're supposed to flip the screen out etc?