Stereo mic recommendations please (for in-camera ambient location/field recording)

Matt James Smith ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

The BP4029 looks really very nice (a cheaper alternative to the Sunken CMS-50 mentioned above) and if I was going all-in on sound-only field recording I'd definitely be looking closer. But for now it's a bit pricier than I'd like and it doesn't have a direct 3.5mm option. 

I'm starting to think my requirements limit me to to the Rode's - SVM Pro, X and NT4. 

BTW spl measurements are out of the question 😉 - I'm turning up to places I don't know and shooting on the spot. It's mostly external suburban/rural without heavy machinery or nearby vehicles etc so mid-range levels I assume.

Ahh, my bad, I just reread your original post...you want to add ambience via 3.5mm stereo mic to your XLR mics, got it! That so, I've enjoyed my RØDE VideoMicro and Audio-Technica Pro24-CM very much as ambient mics going back to my 5D MarkII/7D days though I was not a fan of either mic's shock mounts (the former is front heavy with the furry requiring delicate balance on the single lyre, and the latter allowed too much handling noise through, though if one could/would work with/around those limitations the mics both sounded and worked great for my needs at the time).

Since moving to Panasonic I am in love with their own DMW-MS2 mid-side mic for my S1's (I have one for each body plus a backup unit!), have you considered (or added to your list) Canon's own DM-E1 offering either directional shotgun or switchable 90° and 120° stereo fields (methinks with those abilities this might very well be a mid-side mic though they don't specifically state such)?

To me, mics are like shoes, ya gotta try a lot on to see which fit best! 😉 Keep us posted on your decision!

28 minutes ago, Jimmy G said:

Ahh, my bad, I just reread your original post...you want to add ambience via 3.5mm stereo mic to your XLR mics, got it! That so, I've enjoyed my RØDE VideoMicro and Audio-Technica Pro24-CM very much as ambient mics going back to my 5D MarkII/7D days though I was not a fan of either mic's shock mounts (the former is front heavy with the furry requiring delicate balance on the single lyre, and the latter allowed too much handling noise through, though if one could/would work with/around those limitations the mics both sounded and worked great for my needs at the time).

Since moving to Panasonic I am in love with their own DMW-MS2 mid-side mic for my S1's (I have one for each body plus a backup unit!), have you considered (or added to your list) Canon's own DM-E1 offering either directional shotgun or switchable 90° and 120° stereo fields (methinks with those abilities this might very well be a mid-side mic though they don't specifically state such)?

To me, mics are like shoes, ya gotta try a lot on to see which fit best! 😉 Keep us posted on your decision!

Have to admit I wrote off the Canon DM-E1 but will take a proper look. Will also look at the AT Pro24, which I probably just wrote off based on price.

I have the Rode Micro but its no good as like most 'proper' cinema cameras the C200 annoyingly doesn't offer plug-in power via 3.5mm. The Canon and AT do use batteries though I think.

I'm looking very closely at the AT8022 as an alternative to the Rode SVMX. I really like its wider soundstage (120 degrees vs 90 on the Rode). It doesn't quite match the SVMX in terms of SNR, DR or SPL, but I've never been one to care that much about spec sheets. 

What I don't like about the AT:

• No custom/obvious windfurrydeadkat thing available, though I'm sure with enough research Rycote will have something (but adding to the cost).
  • If I want to use it alongside my shotgun, I'll need to make room for a second suspension thingy on the rig - and the whole setup might start getting a bit overwhelmed with mics. I like that the SVMX is compact and self-contained with a built-in hotshoe mount.

But I do really like that wider soundstage of the AT - what I've heard is very 'enveloping', which is what I'm after.

58 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I was just about to say that I believe it has a battery option! I just wish there was more examples/quality reviews. If you decide to try it maybe you can do one? 🤔😉

This guy has several videos. If you skip towards the end of this video to the shots of the lake, you get a good feel for the wide soundstage of the mic.

12 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

Yes this is what's making me consider the lower end (& cheaper) Rode Stereo vm Pro. Like you say once it's in the mix and just ambient with visuals, quality may not be a huge issue. I do however want to shoot some extended ambient-sound only scenes, with fairly static/ uneventful visuals, that will be shown in a cinema space. The footage will be 4K RAW derived so I'd like the audio quality to not be obviously incongruent. But ultimate quality is definitely not vital. I'm just trying to find the sweet spot and I'm not sure about the RSVm Pro - the X sounds significantly bettering online tests to me. I get what you're saying about EQ etc but there's no question the X is a big step uo n quality from what I've heard.

I'm leaning toward the Stereo VMP for now just for convenience and availability. I have the MKE 600 shotgun for more directional stuff and don't want to rig another large mic. I'm also shooting smaller cameras than you - mostly the a7sIII. The X does look next level for these smaller on cam mics though. The other options will need another shock mount and larger cables LOL! Damn supply chain issues....

Cheers

Chris

7 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm leaning toward the Stereo VMP for now just for convenience and availability. I have the MKE 600 shotgun for more directional stuff and don't want to rig another large mic. I'm also shooting smaller cameras than you - mostly the a7sIII. The X does look next level for these smaller on cam mics though. The other options will need another shock mount and larger cables LOL! Damn supply chain issues....

Cheers

Chris

Exactly the same - I have the mke 600 as my main mic and really don’t need to add another big mic to the rig. 

The AT8022 looks really nice - if I knew I just wanted a stereo mic to swap out with the 600 sometimes I’d go for it.

Thanks for this thread - exactly what I am grappling with at the moment.

Right now I use a Sanken radio mic / Sennheiser setup for the mono voice (moving around freely outdoors) and a spaced pair of DPA mics mounted on the camera on a bar. All mixed in the field via a Juiced link 4-channel mixer mounted below the camera. I can easily use it all hand held and have great freedom moving around which is what I need (having separate devices, trailing leads etc would make life so much harder and in the end, worse footage as a result). The setup works very nicely and gets a wide ambience and nice focused vocal which is what I want ... but phasing issues occur especially when I get closer to the Sanken mic and it can compromise things in a way that annoys.

I need to solve this rather unpredictable problem and the most obvious thing is to replace the A/B DPA pair with an XY mic, so the info on this thread is invaluable. From what I have read, the SVMX or AT8022 look like the best bet. The Sanken CMS-50 looks lovely but the price is way above anything else and too much for me but maybe the BP4025 is also in the running here.

Do let us know how you get on with the SVMX.

8 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

Just grabbed a used SVMX on eBay. It’s in pretty rough shape cosmetically but I got a decent price (£290) and doubt I’ll ever be looking to sell it on so as long as it works perfectly I’m happy. 

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Nice! I have a Sennheiser G3 wireless handheld/lav system I don't use very much, was thinking about listing on Fleabay. This may be the route I go as well and just flip the G3 into the SVMX. 

Cheers

Chris

7 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Thanks for this thread - exactly what I am grappling with at the moment.

Right now I use a Sanken radio mic / Sennheiser setup for the mono voice (moving around freely outdoors) and a spaced pair of DPA mics mounted on the camera on a bar. All mixed in the field via a Juiced link 4-channel mixer mounted below the camera. I can easily use it all hand held and have great freedom moving around which is what I need (having separate devices, trailing leads etc would make life so much harder and in the end, worse footage as a result). The setup works very nicely and gets a wide ambience and nice focused vocal which is what I want ... but phasing issues occur especially when I get closer to the Sanken mic and it can compromise things in a way that annoys.

I need to solve this rather unpredictable problem and the most obvious thing is to replace the A/B DPA pair with an XY mic, so the info on this thread is invaluable. From what I have read, the SVMX or AT8022 look like the best bet. The Sanken CMS-50 looks lovely but the price is way above anything else and too much for me but maybe the BP4025 is also in the running here.

Do let us know how you get on with the SVMX.

I realise that in fact an X/Y stereo mic could actually exacerbate this problem rather then solve it. The solution I need is actually something like the Zoom H5 or H6 and synch in post.