FS700 Footage

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=shijan link=topic=654.msg4840#msg4840 date=1335643035]
same story as usual - aliasing, noise, low dynamic range and compression :)
[/quote]

Yup. The high fps looked cool, but their was nothing stunning about the footage.  All the regular fps stuff looked like handicam.

[/quote]
@shijan @FilmMan Excuse me ? you all seems to me like some hollywood professional philmmaking crew judging 8000euro camera just like that. I guess my either must have been working with these camera for a week at last. What are you comparing the noise and aliasing with ? 5Diii I expect :D. Don't be so harsh and quick judging on something that progresive and full of inventions from Sony, who are really doing something for the normal consumer market.

[quote author=MichalGajdos link=topic=654.msg4844#msg4844 date=1335649841]
[/quote]
@shijan @FilmMan Excuse me ? you all seems to me like some hollywood professional philmmaking crew judging 8000euro camera just like that. I guess my either must have been working with these camera for a week at last. What are you comparing the noise and aliasing with ? 5Diii I expect :D. Don't be so harsh and quick judging on something that progresive and full of inventions from Sony, who are really doing something for the normal consumer market.
[/quote]
Just look at Blackmagic Cinema camera footage and you understand why we are so bored (Sony F3 and Red Epic/Scarlett Canon C300 have same dynamic range but expencive, Si-2K maybe too, Arri Alexa has even more but it is out budget even for more production studios). Maybe here also can be added ikonscop DII with black and white sensor but it needs more tests to see. There are also other more expensive cameras like Panavision Genesis or Sony F65 but there is almost no info about them for masses.
Everything else as for me its a tv cameras, digital cameras, scientific but not a cinema cameras.
Its cool to see hi-speed framerates but what sense of them if the quality is so shitty? Im personally not a prouction studio and even not a filmmaker i believe, i do videoart and contemporary art, but i just want normal quality for my works, same as produces my 35mm film photo camera.

Michal,

I said, "I'm starting to like the BM more."  If you read some of my prior posts, you'd see that I'm supportive of companies bringing "more" to the market - ie, Kineraw, Sony, BM, etc.  So what's the issue? 

The aesthetics of BM appears to shine. 

I agree with you all. Only that, all of a sudden, average video quality like from a brave Sony camcorder (and one with DoF-choices too), is called [i]shitty[/i], makes my heart bleed for all those, who recently sacrified a vacation or continue to drive a shitty car to be able to afford such a shitty camcorder. I feel pity for myself  :'(

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=654.msg4858#msg4858 date=1335686720]
The FS700 video shown on the first post did'nt have great DR :o
[/quote]

Let me try to sort things out:

● There are no devices to show us 4k images.
● The FS700 doesn't have 4k resolution yet and won't have it ever. All con- and prosumer resolution values are fraud.
● The 320p size on YouTube and the 1080p size don't have different quality. They have different size. Same with 4k. Full stop.
● The bigger the size the more poor image quality becomes apparent.
● [u]True[/u] 1080p allows for a relative size big enough to show the shortcomings of 8-bit. 8-bit suffices for 720p.
● Blooms boxer film above we judge in 8-bit. 8-bit allows to reproduce a maximum of five stops.
● You can achieve the same result on an 8-bit monitor from an 8-bit-source as from a 12-bit-source for 720p.
● You do so by levering extreme contrasts with lights and shadows before the lens. You shoot flat. You grade.
● HDR looks interesting (i.e. if developed out of a series of differently exposed photos into one tone-remapped 8-bit), but:
● A 12-bit image with perhaps 13 stops, watched on a 12-bit monitor would not look like HDR, it would resemble the 8-bit on 8-bit - as long as you don't get closer and see the falling tomatoes not as red puddles ...

Comment.

[quote author=Axel link=topic=654.msg4859#msg4859 date=1335689687]
● The 320p size on YouTube and the 1080p size don't have different quality. They have different size. Same with 4k. Full stop.
[/quote]
So it is the same shit just bigger?
4K does have at least one advantage, you can crop. This helps hand held shot and crop to 1080p for stability.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=654.msg4860#msg4860 date=1335690926]
[quote author=Axel link=topic=654.msg4859#msg4859 date=1335689687]
[/quote]
So it is the same shit just bigger?
4K does have at least one advantage, you can crop. This helps hand held shot and crop to 1080p for stability.
[/quote]

To export a raw signal for Sony is the easiest thing to do. It's not done out of generosity. It spares them the need to process the shit properly so that it fits into the 1080p frame it was originally designed for (and, judging by the demos we saw so far, didn't reach. Please, sit closer to your monitor. Try to "sit in row five", like cineasts do, let the monitor's edges frame your field of vision). You want to use the bigger image for downscaling? You see that the internal downscaling in the camera doesn't work too well, and now they let [i]you[/i] do all the work. Downscaling as well as upscaling means interpolation, and measured by the only reliable resolution measuring method - a test chart - upscaling and downscaling by the same factor makes an upsettingly little difference.

Once the expensive external recording device for 4k is out, we'll see what's left of the resolution. And of the quality.

would be interesting if some hacking FPS manipulation profiles can be done with this cam similar to Panasonic's HPX line.  some cine lens tests are a must see.  I must admit the image stabilization still reacts nicely at high FPS seen on the speed boat shots.  not a fan of the nex glass but they obviously have to market it.  would like to have seen some zeiss vario zoomage.

[quote author=daomay link=topic=654.msg4857#msg4857 date=1335686616]
http://vimeo.com/39453069

What about this video which is shot with (FS100) people that know how to use it quiet well.

I think the FS700 will be very popular among Indie film maker.
[/quote]

Same can be done with any other camera or $500 DSLR. This footage shows to us lighting, lenses, filters, movie looks filters in post. Also it shows same low dynamic range of camera.