Chinese Focal Reducer does not fit BMPCC, otherwise, good!

maxotics

I bought a Chinese Focal Reducer on eBay for $96.  Shipped here to U.S. in one week. Tried it with with a Nikon 24mm 2.8D.  Unfortunately, the focal reducer does not "lock" into the BMPCC, just turns enough to stay on gingerly.  Mounts onto a Panasonic GF3 fine.  Wrote the seller, waiting for response.

UPDATE: see below, it can be fixed.  You would need a dremel, some flat sanding disks.  Naturally, would be best if you get one that works perfectly.

HOW IF FIXED IT HERE :http://maxotics.com/?p=296

Upshot BEFORE YOU BUY ANY FOCAL REDUCER ASK IF IT SPECIFICALLY MOUNTS ONTO YOUR CAMERA.

Optically, it seems good.  Here are some DNGs.  I started with f4 because that was what Andy wanted :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13097257/FocalReducer.zip

Here's some rough footage.  I show how the adapter doesn't mount onto camera at end.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281242768029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It also doesn't fully mount the Nikon 28D, though enough that I can live with it.  Doesn't click into place.  Since lens is D, not G, I am a bit more forgiving.  

You can see a wide grooved ring on the adapter that does something to the Nikon lens.  You can see oil in the section where it moves close to the silver release button.  So the adapter has some build issues there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camdiox-Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-Canon-EOS-EF-mount-lens-to-Micro-4-3-Adapter-/251456982191?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item3a8c010caf

this one works.  fits without issues, and has good optical quality on the pocket. - which is easier to deliver on due to the smaller sensor than m4/3.

re. the ones that are not fitting - try adjusting the optic itself - its designed to allow back and fourth movement for infinity tweeking in the factory. or for adjustment to allow infinity for lenses that may have shifted over time and no longer acheive infinity.  It could be that yours has been wound too far back in the factory and may still obtain infinity when wound forward a bit.

Hi Richg101, My focal reducer looks exactly like the one in your link.  My feeling is it is, and it is either a bit off, or the BMPCC. 

I tried screwing out the lens, but it makes no difference.  However, I see that I can remove the Nikon mount part, then the lens, so could then file down the flanges a bit without worrying about the lens.  So will try that next.  And thanks for the tips!

UPDATE

THAT WORKED!  I unscrewed the Nikon mount part from the MFT mount.  I then unscrewed the lens and took it out.  With a dremel I sanded a bit off the underside of all 3 flanges.  It now seems to fit perfectly.

As I mentioned before, the Nikon 24mm 2.8D, does not fit on until clicking into place, but enough that I don't worry about it.

Anyway, THANKS richg101, your ideas got me to the fix!!!

Awesome:)  just to inform you, it is worth applying some blue thread lock to the screws you removed from the nikon flange.  You'll find that any thread lock applied in the factory is now broken, and will want replacing.  I almost lost a Hasselblad 110mm f2 due to loose screws on an adaptor!  

Just to confirm, the version i am confirming doesnt have issues with mounting is the EF to M4/3 version, not the Nikon version.

In which case, ordering the EF version will allow you to fit nikon lenses via a ring adaptor.

Ha, I think you and I are the only ones sweating speedboosted m42.  You ordered the m42 to Nex? are you planning to adapt from nex to m43?  I don't see a m42 to m43 on RJ's site.

Yeah, I think we might just be.

No this one...M42 to m43 (had to google to find it again - strange).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-M42-reducer-speed-booster-turbo-adapter-to-m4-3-GF5-GF6-GX1-EM5-EM1-BM-PC-/360827529560

• 3 weeks later...

I got a RJ MFT to M42 focal reducer for my BMCC, it doesn't seem to fit. I cannot even get all 3 bayonette's to go fully into the mount. It looks like the MFT mount is a tiny bit to large in diameter or something so I can only get 2 of the metal flanges into the mount at the same time. Any one else get this and have any issues? I see some dremel tool work in my future...