Panasonic GH4 - Slow-mo at 96fps and 4K rolling shutter test

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What's the quality of GH4 like at 1920x1080 at 50P or 60P? This 96fps doesn't look that great..

I would prefer to see controlled experiments showing the differences between 4096x2160 24p, 1920x1080 60p, 96 fps in different lighting conditions. For example direct sunlight with some action in the scene: skateboarding, etc. Maybe some reasonable moving of the camera, as compared to furious waving.. This could show effects of rolling shutter, dynamic range, line skipping..

What's the quality of GH4 like at 1920x1080 at 50P or 60P? This 96fps doesn't look that great..

I would prefer to see controlled experiments showing the differences between 4096x2160 24p, 1920x1080 60p, 96 fps in different lighting conditions. For example direct sunlight with some action in the scene: skateboarding, etc. Maybe some reasonable moving of the camera, as compared to furious waving.. This could show effects of rolling shutter, dynamic range, line skipping..

There is a drop when compared to its own GH4 footage not at 96fps but like many other postings here I would say in comparison to other 1080 cameras it actually looks amazing. Especially the closer shots (dancing into the sun, dog chewing) it's stunning. As for the other request, I suggest watching the video, and check out the recent posts on EOSHD with other tests. Perhaps I will need to wait for you to get the camera to see all the tests that you want to run.

• Administrators

Andrew great test, as always. How video AF works on GH4 with third party lenses? Is it possible to use speedboster and i.e. Sigma 18-35 (nikon mount) with video AF?

No, it's a passive mount adapter with no electronics. The AF in Nikon lenses is usually optimised for phase detect sensors and the GH4 uses contrast detect so even if it worked through a smart adapter, it probably would be a bit shit :)