Panasonic GH4 - Slow-mo at 96fps and 4K rolling shutter test

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

All tests based on pre-production model

Here we come to some areas which aren't perfect on the GH4, but which nevertheless are both a step forward from the GH3. I like what Panasonic have started here with 96fps slow-mo. This is the first consumer camera to deviate from the video standard of 60p to give us a genuinely useful creative tool which sets the ball rolling for improvements in future models.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew, there are some really nice shots in you 96fps test! You're right too - it works well on faces, moving objects, shallow DoF stuff.

I wonder if its possible for Panasonic to make it resolve a better image via firmware? Regardless, what I found funny was the 96fps out of the GH4 is still sharper than the video my Canon DSLR 60D and 7D produce, ha!

Also, is there any way you can get your hands on a Odyssey7Q? I'd really love to see 10-bit out of the GH4 - I'm hoping to use the GH4's 1080P 10-bit @ 60FPS to inter-cut with my Blackmagic Pocket.

Really loved the 96fps test, Andrew, keep up the good work! And thanks again for all your hard work!

• Administrators

The Odyssey 7Q doesn't have a 4K HDMI input and you don't need it to record 10bit out of the GH4. I'll try the 10bit 1080p to my Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle and see what it looks like.

Atomos Shogun will be necessary for the 10bit 4K, or the YAGH box with Odyssey 7Q via HD SDI.

The Odyssey 7Q doesn't have a 4K HDMI input and you don't need it to record 10bit out of the GH4. I'll try the 10bit 1080p to my Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle and see what it looks like.

Atomos Shogun will be necessary for the 10bit 4K, or the YAGH box with Odyssey 7Q via HD SDI.

Ahhh, I see! I've got my heart set on the Shogun anyways :) I only suggested the Odyssey because the Shogun isn't out yet :)

First of I want to thank you Andrew for testing the camera in various ways and sharing your results with us, much appreciated!

This camera has really caught my attention and it feels like nothing can really compare at even a fairly close price point at this moment.

My concern though is that I come from Canon with a couple of L-series lenses that I really don't want to give up. I've been searching around to see if there's any news from Metabones on their EF-MFT speed booster but it seems like they've been quiet for a while. Anyone know the latest updates here?

Has anyone worked with using any other passive adapter/speed boosters for EF, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry0nuJrXhpg, on an L-series lens? I understand that the aperture needs to be set in advanced on another camera, so if let's say I'm using my 24-70mm f/2.8, leaving the aperture wide opened, and moving the lens over to the passive adapter/speed booster, my work around for controlling exposure would be to use shutter speeds greater than what's equal to the angle of 180 degrees right? Am I risking to damage the lenses by using them on a passive mount?

How would you rate this as a solution in anticipation of Metabones finally releasing an active EF-MFT speed booster?

Thanks!

• Administrators

First of I want to thank you Andrew for testing the camera in various ways and sharing your results with us, much appreciated!

This camera has really caught my attention and it feels like nothing can really compare at even a fairly close price point at this moment.

My concern though is that I come from Canon with a couple of L-series lenses that I really don't want to give up. I've been searching around to see if there's any news from Metabones on their EF-MFT speed booster but it seems like they've been quiet for a while. Anyone know the latest updates here?

Has anyone worked with using any other passive adapter/speed boosters for EF, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry0nuJrXhpg, on an L-series lens? I understand that the aperture needs to be set in advanced on another camera, so if let's say I'm using my 24-70mm f/2.8, leaving the aperture wide opened, and moving the lens over to the passive adapter/speed booster, my work around for controlling exposure would be to use shutter speeds greater than what's equal to the angle of 180 degrees right? Am I risking to damage the lenses by using them on a passive mount?

How would you rate this as a solution in anticipation of Metabones finally releasing an active EF-MFT speed booster?

Thanks!

I think I will give one of these a go. Problem is some EF glass like the 85mm F1.2L needs active mount even to focus and of course IS needs an active mount too.

For shooting wide open on the others, I'll consider it but I'm not sure the optics will be up to Caldwell (metabones) standard on it?

"In electronic shutter mode for stills, the GH4 can silently shoot 16MP raw shots which is great – but of course these also use a rolling shutter so are prone to the related artefacts like skew."

Is this mode better than the GH3 though? I was hoping it would be considering they are both shooting from the same-ish 16 megapixel sensor, only the GH4 uses the 50% faster readout. 

• Administrators

"In electronic shutter mode for stills, the GH4 can silently shoot 16MP raw shots which is great – but of course these also use a rolling shutter so are prone to the related artefacts like skew."

Is this mode better than the GH3 though? I was hoping it would be considering they are both shooting from the same-ish 16 megapixel sensor, only the GH4 uses the 50% faster readout. 

The GH3 doesn't have a full 16MP raw output on the electronic shutter.

So much better.

Since GX7 and GM1 Panasonic have had the full pixel readout for stills without mechanical shutter.

I think I will give one of these a go. Problem is some EF glass like the 85mm F1.2L needs active mount even to focus and of course IS needs an active mount too.

For shooting wide open on the others, I'll consider it but I'm not sure the optics will be up to Caldwell (metabones) standard on it?

Yeah, good thing the lenses I have don't need the active mount for focusing, but of course IS will be a loss.

My concern is that the IQ won't hold up as well, and that it will be very evident in 4K, but looking at the tests I think it's at least a worthy work around for the moment. I hope Metabones are bound to release something in time since they've announced they're working on it for quite some time now.

• Administrators

Only thing missing from the GH4 is Log mode.  I thought I initially read that there were controls to curve the highlights and shadows, or did I read that wrong?

There is the Olympus OM-D style curve adjustment in-camera yes. Haven't tried it yet on the GH4 but you're not wrong, it's there.

Hey Andrew...I'm a relative newbie to your site but I wanted to say thanks for all the great tests and info you provide. I've been following the GH4 development for a while and your site has definitely been great in helping me make more informed decisions on camera choices.

I had a couple questions...I noticed the Shogun recorder also records to cinema DNG. Is that something the GH4 can take advantage of and would that be a better option for grading in this case? Also, it lists the Shogun recording 4k at 3840x2160...does that mean it can't take advantage of the GH4's slightly higher cinema 4k resolution?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

The GH3 doesn't have a full 16MP raw output on the electronic shutter.

So much better.

Since GX7 and GM1 Panasonic have had the full pixel readout for stills without mechanical shutter.

Did you test maximum exposure time for an electronic shutter still? It was 1 second with the gh3. To have long exposure possible electronically would be a big deal for timelapse people. I've asked a few places and it seems nobody has looked into this yet.

Thanks.

Although the video i only at 720 on vimeo, this 1080p 96fps slo-mo on the GH4 still doesn't look as soft as the 5d3 internal 1080p footage.

When you do your next test, please do 5d3 internal recording codec as well as the RAW, not only are we comparing visual quality and "cinematic look". but we should be considering work flow and turn around time.

I have a 5d3 with RAW hack that can record continuous at 24p and its super sharp.. but I can't use it on almost anything when it comes to justifying the extra work involved to actually use it(Space, workflow, extra cards, etc). So most of my work I have to use the internal codec which looks terrible compared to the RAW and just looks sad compared to the GH4 4k footage. 

RAW on 5d3 is a great innovation, don't get me wrong, but for the people that have to run and gun, or have fast turn around time... its really hard to justify using it.

My main shooting is Steadicam work for a full day of Run and gun, Full Frame on the 5d3 is Hell most of the time too(luckly most of it is out doors and i can stop down), The internal codec almost never looks good when "everything" is in focus, Its more like "everything is soft" compared to the FS700 i'm matching up with.

/rant

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews and firmware 1.0 stuff. :-)

Hey, I'm new here too, thanks for all those great infos on the GH4, can we a have a comparision with a blackmagic pocket too?
I'm looking forward a good cinematic look and I'm a little afraid with the gh4 despite all those good things you think about it.

Keep up the good work!