5DIII and D800 out of stock: what should I get instead?

bellsbells

Hi all, I'm going to be shooting a documentary starting mid-May and had planned to get the 5DIII to shoot it. Then I found out about the D800 which seemed perfect for me since I already have several Nikon manual lenses from my FM2 days. But unfortunately both cameras are absolutely unattainable within the next month. So given that I don't want to invest in a piece of equipment as "old" as the Mark II, what are my other options? The documentary is about an artist, BTW, and it will be mostly interviews with him and shots of him working in his studio.

Should I consider the GH2? That model, too, is quite old—over 2 years—and they are probably going to release an update soon. I'm really lost and could use some help! Thanks in advance for your advice!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thank you—I had a look at the FS100 which is a little more than I have to spend, but I must say I also feel intimidated by it—as opposed to a DSLR which is familiar territory for me (I've been shooting SLRs since I was 16 years old), it's a whole new ball game to go into pro video equipment. I mean, is it realistic for a novice to pick up a camera like the FS100 and shoot a movie?

I would like to add that I have read great things about the GH2, which costs a fraction of the Canon and Nikons. Any thoughts on that?

• Administrators
I recommend the GH2 and spending the money left over between the price of the GH2 and the price of a 5D Mark III on VERY GOOD GLASS.

Get stuff like the Contax Zeiss 85mm F1.4 which can also be used on the FS100 and 5D3 if you jump to S35 or full frame in future. The Voigtlander 25mm F0.95 is highly recommended (but bear in mind that you can only use it on Micro Four Thirds cameras).

Thank you! I'm delighted to hear that the GH2 is a good alternative, because it is SO much cheaper and will allow me to invest in some sweet glass, plus I can use my Nikkors and my Leica Summicron-C 40/2.

But ultimately my question is: will I regret not having a full frame sensor if I go for the GH2? If, against all odds, my film is ever projected onto a large movie screen, can the GH2's image hold up compared to the Mark III or the D800? It's hard having to make this decision knowing so little about the differences in video quality between these models....