Sun Anamorphic Adapter 16

anacrofiloteca

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That shot was not scope of course, if it had been then the out of focus part would have been vertically stretched producing a unique aesthetic.

Large diameter splits are expensive though, strange that a half lens can cost ten times more that a full lens :)

I haven't got around to actually using slipt diopters or simple diopters at all. I only did some tests so far. I like the look of split-field with wide-angle lenses better than with 50mm. Anamorphic is ok.

• 4 weeks later...

That's quite interesting. In my video I had some scenes stretched to 1.9x or 1.95x. Most are 2x. I'm pretty sure that 1.66x won't work for what I have shot. I'm gonna do some tests later.

Hi! I'm on the verge of buying one around these days and I was wondering what your workflow is. I have a GH2 as well and was planning on using my Helios 44-M and also a 50 and a 35mm I've got, but that depends on how much they'll vignette.

I liked "Riverside", and I was wondering if you cropped there? Because the aspect ratio is 2.66. I was planning on previewing the AR through my SmallHD DP4 monitor. But if 1.66x was the stretch of the Sun Anamorphic that'd be great to take advantage of the whole image without cropping. Although it doesn't seem like it looking at the bokeh.

Hi! I'm on the verge of buying one around these days and I was wondering what your workflow is. I have a GH2 as well and was planning on using my Helios 44-M and also a 50 and a 35mm I've got, but that depends on how much they'll vignette.

I liked "Riverside", and I was wondering if you cropped there? Because the aspect ratio is 2.66. I was planning on previewing the AR through my SmallHD DP4 monitor. But if 1.66x was the stretch of the Sun Anamorphic that'd be great to take advantage of the whole image without cropping. Although it doesn't seem like it looking at the bokeh.

Thanks. Yes, I did crop the footage. In my case the stretch was 2x or 1.9x. I decided to make the video 2.66 aspect ratio so I had to crop the left and right. 

Thanks. Yes, I did crop the footage. In my case the stretch was 2x or 1.9x. I decided to make the video 2.66 aspect ratio so I had to crop the left and right. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Resolution held up pretty well considering things! That's what worries me about cropping. But since I'd probably crop most of the time, do you think a 35mm would be useable by getting rid of vignetting on the sides? Thanks again!

I've n

Thanks for clearing that up. Resolution held up pretty well considering things! That's what worries me about cropping. But since I'd probably crop most of the time, do you think a 35mm would be useable by getting rid of vignetting on the sides? Thanks again!

I've never used the Sun with 35mm. Even with my 55mm it vignettes slightly. Not sure how much vignetting a 35mm would get on the GH2. My guess is it won't be usable for 2.35 or 2.66. 

• 5 weeks later...

I took apart my SUN again. Wiped down all the grease I could from the focus helicoid (it was very thin, almost liquid, so it went a bit everywhere but it still dampened the focus) and the barrel of the front glass group. Now the focus is much much lighter, I will not turn the whole anamorphic in the clamp when I try to focus. I still love the simple construction.

Last time I cleaned the rear glass from the inside and I was shocked that what I thought were air bubbles in the glass turned out to be grease from the lens barrel and the bubbles were formed in it.

This lens looked very good when I bought it. I can only image how many faults can there be on lenses that look bad on the outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one and I love it (although it is my first anamorphic). It's not particularly sharp but you can still get some nice images from this glass, and the flares are pretty beautiful. Here's a lil something i shot on mine the other day. It does suffer from slight vignetting on my 58mm, but only gets really bad when you stop down a bunch. It's acceptable and I got it dirt cheap so I'm happy.

https://vimeo.com/69722698

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Seems like every anamorphic lens has its own personality (one of the reasons that I love anamorphic). It didn't take me too much effort to get in focus comparing to my Sankor 16C. It's still not an easy job though, especially the crew is waiting and clock is ticking. 

I don't mean getting correct focus, I mean that great sharpness.My SUN can't get that sharp no mather how I try it :(

I disassembled it a few times and aligned the elements correctly for the best sharpness but it is still a bit hazy. I guess there was some mess on the inner lenses and I could not clean it off properly. Well... I still love the lens' character.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Just made an account simply to respond to this forum.

Im having similar problems to Gabor and was wondering if you could post a pic of your mounting solution Stanley? Also do you add post sharpness?

I was not only wondering about the sharpness of your lens but also how you are pulling focus so well. I'm using this for now, but from a Flickr picture I saw you can simply use a 40.5mm step ring.

At f22, the vignetting is apparent, but its pretty sharp, however now I'm unable to get any kind of shallowness.

00000MTSStill005.png

00000MTSStill004.png

(Stretch is not perfect.)

The step ring idea is not good. I personally only used it to check if the lens works at all. I didn't want to get a clamp made until it proved itself.

What taking lens are you using? If you use the taking lens wide open, the vignetting would disappear.

If you want to get the best focus, just for testing, you can to this:

Unattach the SUN, just have the taking lens by itself

Focus it precisely to your target

Attach the SUN without disturbing the focus on the taking lens

Now you just have to focus the SUN to get proper focus

This is only for critical focus testing. For actual use you have to guess the distance, set it on both lenses and then finetune it by eye.

As I mentioned, I haven't experienced too much difficulty when trying to focus and get sharpness. When I shoot I just guesstimate. It's like, the subject is around 3 meters away, focus the Helios 44M while the Sun is attached, focus the Sun, adjust Helios 44M, adjust Sun, then BOOM, it's sharp. It's just like that every time.

I've never tried to full focus or change focal points when filming. It's just not practical to do so manually to both lenses when the camera is recording.

Sometimes I add very subtle unsharp mask when finishing a video, but it depends.

Not sure what you meant by using a 40.5mm step ring.

Here is a picture of my setup. Hope this helps.

gallery_28446_43_50824.jpg