Sun Anamorphic Adapter 16

anacrofiloteca

Hi. I got a Sun anamorphic Adapter 16. It works prety fine on a GH2 + G Vario 14-140mm and with the summilux DG 25mm + teleconverter. Wath i really wonder is the compression that i should take in post, cause it doesnt say if is 2x/1.5x/etc. I didnt find the info on web, i just took a look in the Wiki, and it either say wich compression this lens has:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Anamorphic_Lenses

Does anybody know more about this lens? Any kind of advise will be recibed great. Regards.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 10 months later...

I got a Sun Anamorphic Adaptor 16 a few days ago. I find that the stretch varies. When focused to infinity you need 2x stretch but when using close focus (around the minimum focusing distance of 1.5m or 5feet) you need to apply lower stretch, about 1.66x seems to be fine. I am currently mounting the SUN by its filter thread via step-down rings on my Helios 44M or on my Jupiter-9. Both seem to produce the same stretch results, so I don't think it is the taking lens' fault.

For me it is hard to focus, I need to set the SUN by guessing the target distance and using the scale to set it and then I have to focus the taking lens by eye. I'm slowly getting used to it, so I guess it can be learned.

Well, it was the only anamorphic I could afford.

Even the huge, heavy Lomo projection anamorphics are more expensive than this (the Sun was about $100). If I use my Helios-44M at F4 the image is actually pretty sharp and the vignetting is not very bad, but apparent, the sides can be cropped. If I use my Jupiter-9 it gives decent sharpness from F4 too. I did some close up test, 2 pictures, one without the Sun and one with the Sun and there was no major degradation in the focused areas. My only concern is setting proper focus.

Compared to other anamorphics the Sun might be worse but I don't know, it looks OK to me, I wanted the artistic effect of it, not pristine image quality. I'm still waiting for my friend to machine a clamp for holding the anamorphic lens properly. It will surely be easier to focus with the lens held tight.

I've seen your video before I decided to buy the Sun. I liked its character.

Yes I had to desaturate magenta because CA was very apparent at the edges of the image. I shot some very high contrast landscapes in the snow so this was probably the worst case scenario. I'll post a screengrab for others who might be interested in this glass.

It's definitely got character, I like it. I wouldn't attempt to shoot a feature with it or anything, but I'd certainly like dicking around with it for experimental pieces. I've got a Proskar Ischico and Keiham which are a little better than the Sun but not by much. f4 and above realistically required, and works just about out to 35mm on my GH2.

I'd recommend cropping horizontally to 2.66 rather than 3.56. Although 3.56 looks nice, it's a little to severe playing back on predominantly 16:9 screens. It just loses too much vertically.

Lovely location by the way. Very jealous.

• 3 weeks later...

I disassembled my Sun because it looked like the front lens group that moves when focusing was loose and it rotated slightly when I turned the focus ring and the whole image went out of focus because the back and front glass were not aligned. I had to tighten 2 screws and the rotation problem disappeared. While at it I tested the vignetting without the front housing and it was better, than with it so basically it gets in the way. It is needed for focusing, but I will ask my friend to either make the front hole wider or make a custom front part with a 58mm filter thread on it. I think that would be the best.

8644377097_588e9973bf.jpg8644377115_d0ecfd0d05.jpg

Without the front (worst case scenario: Helios-44M @ f16):

8644377799_46f09457ca.jpg

With the front (worst case scenario: Helios-44M @ f16):

8645475340_2408a2892b.jpg

I got my SUN last month and have been shooting some tests. I feel it's so much easier to focus and sharper than my Sankor 16C. Interesting enough that I also disassembled it because of the red line, which I think is for the center alignment reference, isn't centered. But I didn't find a way to fix that. Actually I don't need the line because I usually use a flashlight pointing to the lens to make sure horizontal flare is even.

The red line is not in the center on mine either.

What I also did was rotating the focus scale to the correct position, just had to loosen the 3 screws and rotate it.

My friend will take a look at the housing today. I hope he says that the new, modified front is possible. I will post pictures of the mods if ther will be any.