Nikon Z9 internal RAW codec investigation - what are the details?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Is N-RAW = intoPIX TICO RAW?

What settings are in-camera?

What is available at launch in terms of ProRes RAW / bitrates / ProRes 422 flavours?

I have a look into it here but more info welcome in this thread from quality sources.

https://www.eoshd.com/raw-video/what-are-the-details-of-nikons-new-cinema-8k-4k-raw-codec-on-the-z9/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What is available at launch in terms of ProRes RAW / bitrates / ProRes 422 flavours?

It's my impression from the online reviews that only h264, h265 & ProRes 422 HQ will be available at launch:

8K/30p capture and 4K-from-8K, with ProRes 422 HQ option

8K/60p, 12-bit 8K N-Raw and 4K ProRes RAW to be added with f/w

it'll definitely be interesting to see what kind of bitrates and compression rates will be available!

I would like to believe Nikon gave Atomos a giant middle finger by just putting ProRes RAW and ProRes HQ internal into the camera. If they continue this with a future Z6 camera I could see Nikon making inroads into the video space among professionals...maybe not as a A cam but as B cam and personal cameras.

It certainly has me interested like never before in the future of the Z mount and Nikon cameras in general. I'm glad to see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Raw is cute, but I’m still completely hung up on any flavor I can’t use in Resolve… like, what’s the point of Raw outside of a good piece of color software? I can’t remember why, but I popped into FCPX for some reason the other day, and as far as I could tell, it doesn’t even let you set a custom project resolution 🤦🏻‍♂️

BMD baffles me. They either need to accept that they don’t want their codec to be the industry standard, and by extension, add support for ProRes Raw into Davinci… or they need to push/allow other manufacturers to put BMRaw in their cameras. Doing neither seems straight idiotic, but here we are.

• 2 weeks later...