• I prefer to buy refurbished
    • see my comment
  2. 2. When buying lenses...

• I prefer to buy new
    • I prefer to buy used
    • I prefer to buy refurbished
    • see my comment

46 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

One benefit of refurbished cameras over even NEW cameras is that they have had someone from the offical repair center go over the cameras thoroughly.

When a new camera comes off the production line, they are going to give it a quick diagnostic test, maybe take a few frames with it, and that's about it.

When you buy refurbished, it means someone has really taken the time to look into the camera. (At leas more so than when it rolled off the assembly line.)

This is a really good point. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

When you buy refurbished, it means someone has really taken the time to look into the camera. (At leas more so than when it rolled off the assembly line.)

Excellent point - going to buy a refurbished R6 today!

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I think Sigma has a good warranty / service on used lenses.

I'm going to check into Sigma/Tamron EF mount to see if they have refurbished lenses (i.e. 70-200 f/2.8) to save a few hundred over Canon glass. 

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

If I remember correctly, that Tamron lens is supposed to be pretty darn good, at least when used on DSLR bodies, and at least for photos. I have absolutely no idea how well it would work as a video lens. 

I have no idea how well it will do on an adapter mounted to an R6. Probably pretty well.

As for MBP, I think their prices are competitive, but I don't like their shipping options. They don't shoot priority mail, so you either get very slow free shipping or very expensive faster shipping.

I just did a quick google search of Tamron's warranty and they don't cover lenses that were bought used or "open box," so you should probably think about whether an extended warranty from one of the sellers is available at a reasonable cost:

https://www.tamron-usa.com/support/warranty_statement.pdf

Hope this helps.

BTW: If you DO go for the 70-200 lens, I would definitely look at something in the 35mm range to compliment it (despite 35mm not being my favorite focal length).

I mean, ideally you would have a 16-35 zoom, a 24-70 zoom, and a 70-200 zoom. But then again, we are living in the real world.

I don't know how much a good 35mm f/1.8 would cost.

I know Canon does have an EF 40mm f/2.8 STM which could work and would probably be a good video lens and sells used in the $120 area, if you could live with the f/2.8 aperture and the slightly narrower field of view (compared to 35mm).

Personally, I probably wouldn't go with the 50mm f/1.8 because it is just a bit too close to the 70mm on the 70-200mm lens.

Hope this helps.

Generally, lenses with an STM motor are optimized for video shooting, so the might be slightly slower than other lenses, but the focus is smoother, and I believe they are quieter. I don't know which RF mount lenses have STM motors though. 

I guess the only way to really know for sure though is to see if anyone has experience using that particular lens for video.

15 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Generally, lenses with an STM motor are optimized for video shooting, so the might be slightly slower than other lenses, but the focus is smoother, and I believe they are quieter. I don't know which RF mount lenses have STM motors though. 

I guess the only way to really know for sure though is to see if anyone has experience using that particular lens for video.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-35mm-1-8-Macro-Lens/dp/B07H4SFG4G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rf+35+1.8&qid=1635473609&sr=8-1