Just bought a new camera for 2022 - the small but mighty GX85

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Could be a fun lens for low profile filming. Manual focussing via cam, interested to see how that feels like. The cinematographer above put that lens to great use.

The 12-32 is certainly a cute little lens and a very affordable way to get a wide lens for the GX85. I’m not aware of any way to manual focus in camera, I only used S-AF with that one. One of the reasons why I don’t use it much these days. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:27 AM, PannySVHS said:

Pansonic should bring out a GX Ten with 10bit. A true 10bit pocket cam in a GX85 body with decent battery life and IBIS. Please give it an optional 1.4 crop for Super 16 lenses.

I understand that h265 can do 12-bit and ALL-I, so why not give us a 12-bit ALL-I mode with V-Log?  I mean, if we're talking about what can be done vs what a commercial company would actually do...

11 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Heck, great image, this guy got out of his GX85! Great montage and camerawork as well. He shot with the native 25mm 1.7 and the pancake zoom 12-32. I heard good things about both lenses.

The 25mm doesn't get nearly the love that it deserves. It's affordable, lightweight, and think is very good optically for a lens you can find for $100-120 used. 

HELP!

Does anyone know how to change the Exposure Mode (eg, aperture priority, manual, shutter priority) in a custom mode on the GX85?

I cannot find it in the menus anywhere, can't assign it to a button, nada.  I know that you can change the mode dial to M or S etc and then save that config to a custom slot, but this would overwrite all the settings in that slot with the default ones and I've got existing profiles that have custom buttons and the CineD profile selected and who knows what else - when I got the camera I went through every option and set them all how I like it and then saved and forgot about what I changed.

I really don't want to have to create the profile from scratch again!

@BTM_Pix @projectwoofer @PannySVHS 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:02 PM, PannySVHS said:

Heck, great image, this guy got out of his GX85! Great montage and camerawork as well. He shot with the native 25mm 1.7 and the pancake zoom 12-32. I heard good things about both lenses.

Dang, this looks great! Maybe I need to get another Panasonic... S5?

It kinda reminded me of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

8 hours ago, kye said:

HELP!

Does anyone know how to change the Exposure Mode (eg, aperture priority, manual, shutter priority) in a custom mode on the GX85?

I cannot find it in the menus anywhere, can't assign it to a button, nada.  I know that you can change the mode dial to M or S etc and then save that config to a custom slot, but this would overwrite all the settings in that slot with the default ones and I've got existing profiles that have custom buttons and the CineD profile selected and who knows what else - when I got the camera I went through every option and set them all how I like it and then saved and forgot about what I changed.

I really don't want to have to create the profile from scratch again!

@BTM_Pix @projectwoofer @PannySVHS 

Quick menu?

• Super Members
9 hours ago, kye said:

MENU>>VIDEO CAMERA ICON>>PAGE 2>>EXPOSURE MODE

When you've changed it, then go to the first Wrench menu (with the C next to it) and overwrite it in Cust.Set Mem. in the same slot if you want to make it permanent.

44 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

MENU>>VIDEO CAMERA ICON>>PAGE 2>>EXPOSURE MODE

When you've changed it, then go to the first Wrench menu (with the C next to it) and overwrite it in Cust.Set Mem. in the same slot if you want to make it permanent.

It's there but greyed out.  (I think I must have scanned for it by ignoring all the grey options lol)

Any ideas?

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, kye said:

It's there but greyed out.  (I think I must have scanned for it by ignoring all the grey options lol)

Any ideas?

I'm guessing that you originated the C settings whilst in one of the PASM modes then?

When you do this, then upon recall of the C setting you are locked into the exposure mode with which it was originated, hence why the option is greyed out.

It is only when you originate the C setting whilst in Movie Mode, that you are then free to change the exposure mode after you recall the C setting.

28 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm guessing that you originated the C settings whilst in one of the PASM modes then?

When you do this, then upon recall of the C setting you are locked into the exposure mode with which it was originated, hence why the option is greyed out.

It is only when you originate the C setting whilst in Movie Mode, that you are then free to change the exposure mode after you recall the C setting.

Thanks...  and...  ah, crap.

That's exactly what I did!

Looks like I'll have to start again with a config from movie mode, and try to remember what I had set.  On the plus side, I haven't used this camera all that much, or the GH5 for that matter, so I'll have very little button memory to stuff up!

On 7/13/2022 at 6:03 AM, mercer said:

Dang, this looks great! Maybe I need to get another Panasonic... S5?

It kinda reminded me of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I think the formfactor is awesome. EVF not up to the S1 or maybe even GH5, as they say. But G7, G6 was good enough already, as I say. Micro HDMI like the GX85.:)

That name is pretty tricky to speak. What would a picnic at hanging bock be? 😄

On 7/13/2022 at 11:04 AM, kye said:

Thanks...  and...  ah, crap.

That's exactly what I did!

Looks like I'll have to start again with a config from movie mode, and try to remember what I had set.  On the plus side, I haven't used this camera all that much, or the GH5 for that matter, so I'll have very little button memory to stuff up!

Also remember that if you initiate video recording, with the mode dial in any photo mode it ignores the exposure settings and records in 'full auto' exposure. You can force shutter priority in this situation by using the 'flicker reduction' setting in the menus to force 1/50, 1/60, 1/100 or 1/120 shutter speed, but that's all.  I assume (but don't know for sure) this situation carries over into any custom presets derived/generated from photo mode. To get full exposure control for video you have to use 'creative movie' mode on the dial.

Only exception to the above is '4k photo' mode, which records 4k video but uses the current photo exposure settings (as it's regarded as a photo mode).

As an aside, my Olympus E-M1 ii does basically the same thing, except that it doesn't have the same 'flicker reduction' workaround, so you have to switch to 'movie' mode to get shutter priority for video (which is annoying when switching between video and stills frequently).

18 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Also remember that if you initiate video recording, with the mode dial in any photo mode it ignores the exposure settings and records in 'full auto' exposure. You can force shutter priority in this situation by using the 'flicker reduction' setting in the menus to force 1/50, 1/60, 1/100 or 1/120 shutter speed, but that's all.  I assume (but don't know for sure) this situation carries over into any custom presets derived/generated from photo mode. To get full exposure control for video you have to use 'creative movie' mode on the dial.

Only exception to the above is '4k photo' mode, which records 4k video but uses the current photo exposure settings (as it's regarded as a photo mode).

As an aside, my Olympus E-M1 ii does basically the same thing, except that it doesn't have the same 'flicker reduction' workaround, so you have to switch to 'movie' mode to get shutter priority for video (which is annoying when switching between video and stills frequently).

Thanks!  That's really interesting - I wouldn't have run into that yet as my current Custom modes are all based on P mode and I normally use it with manual lenses and thus have control over the aperture and focus with the camera being auto-SS and auto-ISO.