Nikon Z9 / Firmware 2.0 Official Topic

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Gerald Undone says Nlog is only for preview and is not applied to the file.

Real RAW is linear if not it needs some sort of processing. RED RAW is linear, Canon RAW is linear and this one too. So the log setting is just for preview to better expose for post.

• Super Members

That is a hell of an update.

I bet you all 27 people who have managed to actually get hold of a Z9 will be thrilled.

I'm thinking of downloading this update as a precaution anyway on the off chance that, by the time I am able to get hold of a Z9, Nikon's circumnavigation of RED's patents has proven not to be quite as watertight as they must clearly believe it to be.

My fanciful idea of getting one in Japan in October looks to be completely doomed based on Yodobashi Camera's site.

1654184010_ScreenShot2022-04-14at20_40_36.png.d48a222ddbd226a598badb5ded226480.png

I was a bit skeptical regarding this camera, mainly the stills side, but if I had a pot of cash, a clean slate and you could actually buy one, for my kind of hybrid use, it’s where I’d plop my money.

But none of the above exists so I shall continue to sit on my empty pot and wait in hope that ole Pannyboy continues the S line with something thicc. Just not too thicc…

6 hours ago, gethin said:

just checked out this 8k raw footage: around 0:46 there is some false colour/moire on the balconies, centre of shot. 

I couldn't find it. However its always possible to get moire with 8k resolution. Modern lenses out resolve sensors, even at 100 megapixels. If you want zero occurrence of moire you have to stay in aperture range that diffraction happens, or simply use a softer lens.

9 hours ago, gethin said:

just checked out this 8k raw footage: around 0:46 there is some false colour/moire on the balconies, centre of shot.  

I dunno.  so much to love about this cam but eek If i'd paid $11K for a camera to find that I'd be grimacing

$11K?! You talking Australian dollars? Z9 is $5,499 USD.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:45 PM, Eric Calabros said:

The good news is NRAW is apparently not a linear raw. Bad news is it makes massive files.

ProRes RAW is line skipped in full frame, but native 5k is available with crop.

Data rates for ticoraw are pretty much similar to prores 422 with 12:1 compression

i.e 35min of 8k60p recording with 512 gb ssd

From Engadget

"N-RAW "records a vast amount of scene information, yet is a significantly smaller file size, allowing for much more recording time and [a] less intensive workflow," Nikon wrote in a press release. The files take up about half the space of equivalent ProRes RAW HQ files (ProRes RAW HQ 12-bit, 4K 24p video has a data rate of 80-140 MB/s). At the same time, they contain a large amount of detail and up to 68 billion colors, something that's very helpful for VFX, editing and color correction."

On 4/16/2022 at 11:54 PM, webrunner5 said:

From Engadget

"N-RAW "records a vast amount of scene information, yet is a significantly smaller file size, allowing for much more recording time and [a] less intensive workflow," Nikon wrote in a press release. The files take up about half the space of equivalent ProRes RAW HQ files (ProRes RAW HQ 12-bit, 4K 24p video has a data rate of 80-140 MB/s). At the same time, they contain a large amount of detail and up to 68 billion colors, something that's very helpful for VFX, editing and color correction."

sounds impressive, I want to see it in a 4-6k sensor rather than 8K.

6 hours ago, TrueIndigo said:

I've quickly gone through the Z9 PDF user manual but can't find it -- are there film ratio marking options available in the display? Considering the headline video specs of this camera, I'm surprised if Nikon still expects you to put masking tape across the rear screen for 2.39:1 guidelines in 2022.

It's called Grid Type in Z9 settings, there's one each for stills and video:

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z9/en/15_menu_guide_04_g11.html

I've been waiting on Nikon to stop being the sleeping giant I've believed it to be in the video department since the D750 release, and from the IQ I'm seeing from N-RAW we might just have a contender for best video image out of a mirrorless hybrid body. I hope this isn't hype, so I'm waiting for more videos to surface. Color fidelity is outstanding. Image is detailed (cinema body league rendering) without looking mirrorless "sharp". DR isn't lacking. Highlights look serviceable..