Hybrid Shooters - 1 body for both photo/video or 2 bodies?

SRV1981

Hybrid Shooting ...  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If you're a hybrid shooter ...

• It makes more sense to have 1 body that handles photos/videos equally well (cost, practice use, etc.)
    • It makes more sense to have 1 body for photos and 1 for video (get optimal video in 1 and good enough photos in another)
    • Other ... see my comment
  2. 2. If I were to get 1 body that to prioritize color/image in photo/video

• a7IV
    • R6
    • S1H
    • XT4
    • S5
    • Other - see comment
  3. 3. If i were to get 2 bodies ... my photo body would be

• EOS R
    • a7III
    • Other ... see comment
  4. 4. If i were to get 2 bodies ... my video body would be

• S1H
    • S5
    • BMPCC 6K
    • FX3
    • XT4
    • other ... see comment

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It depends on your needs...

Mine as primarily a hybrid wedding photographer are quality of image + reliability.

I actually need 3 bodies to do my job and I always stick to one brand for consistency.

I also have a requirement each camera can do the others job as 'insurance' should one go down.

Without taking lenses into the equation, but are just as much a part of the whole, I personally, right now, clean sheet of paper, would go:

1: Canon R5 stills, R6 video. Bodies are a bit plasticky, but otherwise, for hybrid weddings, I think I'd be hard pushed to beat this combo.

2: Fuji GFX50Sii stills, XT4 video. I came from Fuji and know their video is good, their AF good enough and the stills I think are still the best. Just.

3: Panasonic S1R stills, S1H video. Where I am right now and not unhappy. Bodies maybe a tad large/heavy, but nothing that really bothers me. Only real weak element is the less than stellar tracking AF.

4: Nikon Z7ii stills, Z6ii video. Great all-rounders though possibly the weakest video spec? Great image though.

5: Sony A7iv stills, A7Siii video. Just don't interest me but if I had to, these would be the sweet spot from Sony for me. Very sticky AF but other than that, beyond the YouTube hype, do they really offer more things to more people? I'm not sure...

I fundamentally disagree with the entire premise of having one body for stills and one for video.

Instead, I suggest you have two bodies, that are each good for both video and stills, and use complimentary lenses on them to give you better coverage.

This has the advantages of:

• having shared support and accessories, such as only having a single type of battery to charge, and all accessories will be compatible
  • having only one set of lenses required
  • each body can act as the backup for the other one, or if you want a backup to keep two bodies at all times (even after a failure) then you can have a single backup body, rather than requiring two
  • media is guaranteed to be interchangeable
  • colour science and post-processing is all interchangeable and compatible

There's a reason that stills shooters have two bodies with different lenses and why video shooters also often have two bodies, this combines those real-world factors.  Ultimately, who easy and fast and streamlined you work will make a much greater impact into how good your results are than having a stills camera with slightly better photo resolution and a video camera with slightly better codec or whatever.

27 minutes ago, kye said:

I fundamentally disagree with the entire premise of having one body for stills and one for video

As do I.

For anyone non-pro, then fair enough, but for work...

I like the capability of having one body that can do either job equally well and one of my three bodies (the S5), I do use that way, but the other two I dedicate to stills (S1R) and video (S1H), though each can do the others job almost as well.

I also could not do with mixing brands etc.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I actually need 3 bodies to do my job and I always stick to one brand for consistency.

Just curious..  what are the purposes of these three bodies?  ie, why do you need three?  Getting specific might help people understand - the devil is in the detail after all.

Depends on your needs and your Budget.

If you want a simple but powerful all-in-one solution, the a7iii or a7iv could be the right route. 

If you already have lenses of some manufacturer or mount, another brand could be the better choice.

If you want to film and take pictures at the same time, you´d need two bodies anyway.

For Photography, the models you picked are very capable, so you have to ask your self if you want full frame, or if an apsc-sensor fits your needs as well.

For Video, it´d ask you whether you need internal stabilisation and/or autofocus or not. I like the Blackmagic Cameras a lot, but they depend on you to do the focusing. They do offer great value for the money, great codecs and image quality, but you need to do your part as well. 

So if you´d like face- or eye-autofocus, another brand is probably the better choice.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

It depends on your needs...

Mine as primarily a hybrid wedding photographer are quality of image + reliability.

I also have a requirement each camera can do the others job as 'insurance' should one go down.

Without taking lenses into the equation, but are just as much a part of the whole, I personally, right now, clean sheet of paper, would go:

1: Canon R5 stills, R6 video. Bodies are a bit plasticky, but otherwise, for hybrid weddings, I think I'd be hard pushed to beat this combo.

2: Fuji GFX50Sii stills, XT4 video. I came from Fuji and know their video is good, their AF good enough and the stills I think are still the best. Just.

3: Panasonic S1R stills, S1H video. Where I am right now and not unhappy. Bodies maybe a tad large/heavy, but nothing that really bothers me. Only real weak element is the less than stellar tracking AF.

4: Nikon Z7ii stills, Z6ii video. Great all-rounders though possibly the weakest video spec? Great image though.

5: Sony A7iv stills, A7Siii video. Just don't interest me but if I had to, these would be the sweet spot from Sony for me. Very sticky AF but other than that, beyond the YouTube hype, do they really offer more things to more people? I'm not sure...

1 hour ago, kye said:

I fundamentally disagree with the entire premise of having one body for stills and one for video.

Instead, I suggest you have two bodies, that are each good for both video and stills, and use complimentary lenses on them to give you better coverage.

This has the advantages of:

• having shared support and accessories, such as only having a single type of battery to charge, and all accessories will be compatible
  • having only one set of lenses required
  • each body can act as the backup for the other one, or if you want a backup to keep two bodies at all times (even after a failure) then you can have a single backup body, rather than requiring two
  • media is guaranteed to be interchangeable
  • colour science and post-processing is all interchangeable and compatible

There's a reason that stills shooters have two bodies with different lenses and why video shooters also often have two bodies, this combines those real-world factors.  Ultimately, who easy and fast and streamlined you work will make a much greater impact into how good your results are than having a stills camera with slightly better photo resolution and a video camera with slightly better codec or whatever.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Depends on your needs and your Budget.

If you want a simple but powerful all-in-one solution, the a7iii or a7iv could be the right route. 

If you already have lenses of some manufacturer or mount, another brand could be the better choice.

If you want to film and take pictures at the same time, you´d need two bodies anyway.

For Photography, the models you picked are very capable, so you have to ask your self if you want full frame, or if an apsc-sensor fits your needs as well.

For Video, it´d ask you whether you need internal stabilisation and/or autofocus or not. I like the Blackmagic Cameras a lot, but they depend on you to do the focusing. They do offer great value for the money, great codecs and image quality, but you need to do your part as well. 

So if you´d like face- or eye-autofocus, another brand is probably the better choice.

I am creating:

• Videos for athletes 
    • instructional - on a field, a track, and weight room
    • performances - on a track (indoor/outdoor) 
  • Videos for HS students
    • how to read complex texts, writing strategies, organization, etc. 
  • Videos for Family
    • family parties, baby showers, birthday parties, holidays, trips 
  • Videos for Travel
    • my trips and experiences (mostly cinematic w/ music)

• Photos for athletes
    • training and performance (indoor track/outdoor track) 
  • Photos for Family
    • family parties, baby showers, birthday parties, holidays, trips 
  • Photos for Travel 
    •  my trips and experiences
  • Photos for Friends
    • their babies, portraits, family photos, etc.

I've had a Fuji XT3 - LOVED the color but the ISO performance and autofocus made it not a good fit.  I'd be standing next to another person who had a Canon/Sony and they'd have the ISO/autofocus and get shots I missed (we even swapped bodies to try and they couldn't get a good shot or they would and the grain would look ugly at higher ISO or shutter speeds) so I decided to follow the next body.

Then I went to Sony A7III - LOVED that autofocus, liked the ISO performance compared to Fuji BUT it took too much work to get the color I wanted (love the fuji/canon colors bar none).  I am not a pro/paid hybrid shooter and may at some point learn to color grade but the reality is even then it will consume time that I really don't have so SOOC and/or minor tweeks like a drop-in LUT with a few curve moves for the whole video and done - not grading and matching 100s of clips.

Now ...

1. Canon R6 with adapter for EF lenses - this is my top move currently ... I can't think of a single body that will give me the ability to get the colors, ISO, and AF qualities I seek.  20mp is perfect for what I need and low enough to give me great to excellent ISO performance/low light performance.  I do like the colors from Panasonics S1H/S5 but the AF seems like a dealbreaker?
  2.  I could go with a Panasonic S1H/S5 for video on my documentary/narrative and get a significantly cheaper body for photos, but which body would be relatively cheap and have great ISO/AF?  Would they be able to share lenses?  If the Panasonics had AF equal to Sony/Canon then it may make it a closer choice with the R6

so that is my dilemma - go with the R6 or find 2 bodies ...

3 hours ago, kye said:

Just curious..  what are the purposes of these three bodies?  ie, why do you need three?  Getting specific might help people understand - the devil is in the detail after all.

1x static video on tripod (ceremony, speeches, entrances & exits)

1x roving video on monopod or handheld

1x roving stills handheld

Simples 🙂

4 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

I've had a Fuji XT3 - LOVED the color but the ISO performance and autofocus made it not a good fit... 

Now ...

1. Canon R6 with adapter for EF lenses - this is my top move currently ...

Have you checked to make sure that an R6 with adapted EF lenses is going to give you the AF performance you want?

It doesn't sound like you have any Sony lenses, but otherwise I would suggest just get an a7 IV when it comes out (or get a used a7 III, although I guess the MK IV has some additional AF tracking abilities in video.

Yeah, I know, Sony colors, but the new a7 IV has the s.cinetoine profile everyone seems to love (not for me, but others love it) and the picture profiles on Sony cameras are EXTREMELY flexible (as Andrew can testify with his various EOSHD color profiles).

On the other hand, if the R6 with adapted lenses will give you the AF performance you need, then just get that (unless it has a time limit that you can't deal with... I don't know if it does or doesn't).

23 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Have you checked to make sure that an R6 with adapted EF lenses is going to give you the AF performance you want?

It doesn't sound like you have any Sony lenses, but otherwise I would suggest just get an a7 IV when it comes out (or get a used a7 III, although I guess the MK IV has some additional AF tracking abilities in video.

Yeah, I know, Sony colors, but the new a7 IV has the s.cinetoine profile everyone seems to love (not for me, but others love it) and the picture profiles on Sony cameras are EXTREMELY flexible (as Andrew can testify with his various EOSHD color profiles).

On the other hand, if the R6 with adapted lenses will give you the AF performance you need, then just get that (unless it has a time limit that you can't deal with... I don't know if it does or doesn't).

I am actually selling my A7III - I do not like the SOOC color.  I am not a pro and don't get paid for this.  I don't have the time to color grade much - especially video.  The Fuji/Panasonic/Canon colors are what draws my eye and I am most concerned with my opinion when producing as opposed to someone who does this for a living and cares about pleasing clients.  

I was not impressed with the image on the A7IV compared to the aforementioned camera systems regarding color/image - though I do acknowledge it does look "good" just not as desirable as, say, Canon colors/image for me (Clog3 images seem superior to Cinetone for *me*).

I don't know, personally, if the R6 and EF adapters work but this video shows it does: EF lenses adapted

The images that got me to R6: Video 1, Video 2

Again - shooting for passion/fun (documentary interviews, sports indoor/outdoor, travel/family holidays)

Since you're shooting sports I'd lean with either R6 or A7IV. They're imo the top hybrids at their respective price point.

Both units are great choices. I went with R6 as I'm more invested in Canon (EF) glass and all my DSLR flash accessories work with it. 

That said I'm also a Sony (FS7) owner and the A7IV will be purchased as a sidekick. I like having a hybrid and dedicated cine cam that match and share the same mount. 

One thing that sucks on the R6 is no custom video modes. That one is a real bitch for me as I'm often changing frame rates and such. The A7IV with it's independent stills/video/S&Q settings via the sub-dial is the way forward. Also the new flash system, the focus breathing elimination etc.. it all adds up to a great hybrid experience. And with the 33MP, honestly I4d say the A7IV is the new hybrid king. 

As for color science... yes Canon skin-tones are still second to none and Clog3 grades superbly. The R6 IQ also has a real nice mojo to it, it's oversampled but not too much and you can turn noise reduction off. As usual with Canon video has this sort of organic look I love. 

Sony has made great progress. It appears they've tweaked the color science again on A7IV since last generation. S-cinetone which is Venice based look is great for when you don't wanna shoot in log. It's a MUCH better non-log profile than any Canon standard profile. 10-bit ALL-I Slog3 is also super solid. Noise reduction though always seems to be an issue.

2 minutes ago, Django said:

Since you're shooting sports I'd lean with either R6 or A7IV. They're imo the top hybrids at their respective price point.

Both units are great choices. I went with R6 as I'm more invested in Canon (EF) glass and all my DSLR flash accessories work with it. 

That said I'm also a Sony (FS7) owner and the A7IV will be purchased as a sidekick. I like having a hybrid and dedicated cine cam that match and share the same mount. 

One thing that sucks on the R6 is no custom video modes. That one is a real bitch for me as I'm often changing frame rates and such. The A7IV with it's independent stills/video/S&Q settings via the sub-dial is the way forward. Also the new flash system, the focus breathing elimination etc.. it all adds up to a great hybrid experience. And with the 33MP, honestly I4d say the A7IV is the new hybrid king. 

Yes based on functionality for pros/prosumers, and "on-paper" stats I think you make a good argument.  At the end of the day when I'm watching content and see green/yellow shift in color my brain is like "this looks like shit" regardless of DR, resolve, or how easy it was for the creator to make that product - i'm looking at an image and my brain is calculating how much I like that image and huge component of which is determined by the color production.  

When I show random family/friends video the two things they *only* comment are are color and resolve/sharpness.  

I am producing these things for me 1st (image wise) and instructional/emotional products for my athletes, parents, and my personal family/friends.  That, for me, means that the work needed on Sony to get the color (1/2 the color/resolve equation I am arguing) takes too much knowledge and time.  So even if I could learn how to color correct videos over a few months the time it would take to do it is a non-starter for me.  

I am in control of making videos ... I have no deadlines, I have no one with whom I rely on being paid for this content - I am the customer - if that makes sense?

That excludes Sony - for me, for now - Canon is 1 as I would get great color, ISO, and AF with good enough resolve/sharpness, Panasonic is 2 though the AF means i'd need a 2nd camera for photo definitely and maybe I could focus manually on video, and maybe Fuji 3rd - though their ISO performance/Weak AF rule them out.

Based on that - any flaws in my personal situation?

13 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Yes based on functionality for pros/prosumers, and "on-paper" stats I think you make a good argument.  At the end of the day when I'm watching content and see green/yellow shift in color my brain is like "this looks like shit" regardless of DR, resolve, or how easy it was for the creator to make that product - i'm looking at an image and my brain is calculating how much I like that image and huge component of which is determined by the color production.  

When I show random family/friends video the two things they *only* comment are are color and resolve/sharpness.  

I am producing these things for me 1st (image wise) and instructional/emotional products for my athletes, parents, and my personal family/friends.  That, for me, means that the work needed on Sony to get the color (1/2 the color/resolve equation I am arguing) takes too much knowledge and time.  So even if I could learn how to color correct videos over a few months the time it would take to do it is a non-starter for me.  

I am in control of making videos ... I have no deadlines, I have no one with whom I rely on being paid for this content - I am the customer - if that makes sense?

That excludes Sony - for me, for now - Canon is 1 as I would get great color, ISO, and AF with good enough resolve/sharpness, Panasonic is 2 though the AF means i'd need a 2nd camera for photo definitely and maybe I could focus manually on video, and maybe Fuji 3rd - though their ISO performance/Weak AF rule them out.

While I still think you are making way too much of an issue over the sony colors, I guess that the R6 would be a a great fit for your needs.

Don't get me wrong: I do agree that canon colors are (subjectively) better than Sony cameras for most of the situations you are going to use it in.

I just don't think it will take you "a few months" to learn to color correct videos. 

And even with an R6 you ARE going to have to learn how to color correct videos. What will you do when an athlete is standing on a green field that is kicking up a ton of green tinted light on to their face? Or when they are standing on a red track and a bunch of red is kicked up on to their face? Canon's great color science won't save you then.

So if the AF on the R6 works as well with EF lenses as the Fro video you linked to suggests, then I wouldn't hesitate to get an R6 and use it for both stills and video. I think that is going to be your best option, and I think you wont lose any sleep over doing that.

As it is now, it is pretty hard to buy a BAD camera (unless you decide you want to buy Panasonic for that wonderful DFD autofocus... and this is coming from someone who owns two Panny bodies, an S1 and an S5).

1 minute ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

While I still think you are making way too much of an issue over the sony colors, I guess that the R6 would be a a great fit for your needs.

Don't get me wrong: I do agree that canon colors are (subjectively) better than Sony cameras for most of the situations you are going to use it in.

I just don't think it will take you "a few months" to learn to color correct videos. 

And even with an R6 you ARE going to have to learn how to color correct videos. What will you do when an athlete is standing on a green field that is kicking up a ton of green tinted light on to their face? Or when they are standing on a red track and a bunch of red is kicked up on to their face? Canon's great color science won't save you then.

So if the AF on the R6 works as well with EF lenses as the Fro video you linked to suggests, then I wouldn't hesitate to get an R6 and use it for both stills and video. I think that is going to be your best option, and I think you wont lose any sleep over doing that.

As it is now, it is pretty hard to buy a BAD camera (unless you decide you want to buy Panasonic for that wonderful DFD autofocus... and this is coming from someone who owns two Panny bodies, an S1 and an S5).

Thanks Mark!  I am curious on a few comments you wrote:

• It does make sense I should learn to do some CC - and I will be using FCP - any good videos/free tutors online you suggest?
  • I'm thinking a Sigma or used Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 as well as a 24 f/1.8 used
    • any big issue going 3rd party to save a few bucks? 
  • The commnet on the Panny bodies - are you saying their AF is trash as I understand it?  The S1/S5 color does seem to rival Canon and I could see myself going there but the Canon AF makes it a must have for photo/video especially for a smuck amateur like myself lol
  • Oh! I've been asking folks but having gotten much response - any places you suggest getting used bodies/lenses?  BH? MBP? KEH? all are reputable?

30 minutes ago, Django said:

...the focus breathing elimination...

While I agree with everything else you mentioned, I hate the focus breathing solution they came up with.

Ture, the field of view stays (pretty much) the same.

But you can still see objects in the frame enlarging and shrinking as focus is racked back and forth.

It was pretty noticeable in Jason Vong's video on the a7 IV where his girlfriend / spouse was standing with a bridge in the background, and while racking focus, you could see the pillars of the bridge getting bigger and smaller. 

Maybe others won't be bugged by it. Guess I have many pet peeves...

14 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Thanks Mark!  I am curious on a few comments you wrote:

• It does make sense I should learn to do some CC - and I will be using FCP - any good videos/free tutors online you suggest?
  • I'm thinking a Sigma or used Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 as well as a 24 f/1.8 used
    • any big issue going 3rd party to save a few bucks? 
  • The commnet on the Panny bodies - are you saying their AF is trash as I understand it?  The S1/S5 color does seem to rival Canon and I could see myself going there but the Canon AF makes it a must have for photo/video especially for a smuck amateur like myself lol
  • Oh! I've been asking folks but having gotten much response - any places you suggest getting used bodies/lenses?  BH? MBP? KEH? all are reputable?

1) and I will be using FCP - any good videos/free tutors online you suggest?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about FCP.

Lynda.com is good, and while it normally has a monthly subscription, many libraries have a free plan for library members. If you have a library card, check with your library and see if they have a free plan for members.

I have found that Lynda.com has very systemic programs where you learn step-by-step on how to use software. 

2) any big issue going 3rd party to save a few bucks?

Unfortunately, i can't say for sure, as I only have one Canon lens (EF 16-35 f/4 L) and while it is a great lens, I use it on my Panasonic S1 and S5 bodies.

My concern would be though that maybe SOME EF lenses won't give you the same great AF performance on an R6 as the (very expensive) RF lenses would.

3) The comment on the Panny bodies - are you saying their AF is trash as I understand it?

It's not trash, but if I needed to rely on continuous autofocus, then I would either use my Sony a6500 or my Olympus E-M1 MK II (or any Canon or Sony body made in the last several years, if I owned one). 

Panasonic AF just can't keep up with that of Canon or Sony.

And I have had occasions where the Panny autofocus basically decided that it wanted to focus on the background instead of on the subject talking for no apparent reason. 

4) any places you suggest getting used bodies/lenses?  BH? MBP? KEH? all are reputable?

They are all reputable, as you noted.

I will say that I didn't like the shipping options with MBP. I bought two SMALL lenses for my m43 Olympus E-M1 MK II and they shipped them in a BIG box (12 X12 X12 inches) that was full of packing paper / foam peanuts. And it took about 10-days to arrive in California because they took about four days before they actually shipped it out, and because the only option they had that was less than $35 for shipping was FedEx ground (which takes a week from East Coast to West Coast)

If they had packed it sensibly they could have sent it via priority mail for about $15.

There are also Roberts camera (technically used photo pro https://usedphotopro.com )and midwest photo exchange (they have a small inventory but good customer service) https://mpex.com/shop-used-gear

For expensive items, I sometimes and willing to spend a bit more if they have a longer return policy / warranty on used gear.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

If you're not familiar with grading the R6 advantage for video diminishes greatly imo. R6 only does 10-bit 4:2:2 in Clog/Clog3. So you'll be limited to 8-bit footage with the standard profiles which may or may not be to your suiting. 

This is where A7IV wins with 10-bit non-log S-Cinetone profile for great SOOC results.

Just some food for thought as your mind seems set on the Canon.

59 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

1) and I will be using FCP - any good videos/free tutors online you suggest?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about FCP.

Lynda.com is good, and while it normally has a monthly subscription, many libraries have a free plan for library members. If you have a library card, check with your library and see if they have a free plan for members.

I have found that Lynda.com has very systemic programs where you learn step-by-step on how to use software. 

2) any big issue going 3rd party to save a few bucks?

Unfortunately, i can't say for sure, as I only have one Canon lens (EF 16-35 f/4 L) and while it is a great lens, I use it on my Panasonic S1 and S5 bodies.

My concern would be though that maybe SOME EF lenses won't give you the same great AF performance on an R6 as the (very expensive) RF lenses would.

3) The comment on the Panny bodies - are you saying their AF is trash as I understand it?

It's not trash, but if I needed to rely on continuous autofocus, then I would either use my Sony a6500 or my Olympus E-M1 MK II (or any Canon or Sony body made in the last several years, if I owned one). 

Panasonic AF just can't keep up with that of Canon or Sony.

And I have had occasions where the Panny autofocus basically decided that it wanted to focus on the background instead of on the subject talking for no apparent reason. 

4) any places you suggest getting used bodies/lenses?  BH? MBP? KEH? all are reputable?

They are all reputable, as you noted.

I will say that I didn't like the shipping options with MBP. I bought two SMALL lenses for my m43 Olympus E-M1 MK II and they shipped them in a BIG box (12 X12 X12 inches) that was full of packing paper / foam peanuts. And it took about 10-days to arrive in California because they took about four days before they actually shipped it out, and because the only option they had that was less than $35 for shipping was FedEx ground (which takes a week from East Coast to West Coast)

If they had packed it sensibly they could have sent it via priority mail for about $15.

There are also Roberts camera (technically used photo pro https://usedphotopro.com )and midwest photo exchange (they have a small inventory but good customer service) https://mpex.com/shop-used-gear

For expensive items, I sometimes and willing to spend a bit more if they have a longer return policy / warranty on used gear.

Hope this helps.

Thanks it does help!

28 minutes ago, Django said:

If you're not familiar with grading the R6 advantage for video diminishes greatly imo. R6 only does 10-bit 4:2:2 in Clog/Clog3. So you'll be limited to 8-bit footage with the standard profiles which may or may not be to your suiting. 

This is where A7IV wins with 10-bit non-log S-Cinetone profile for great SOOC results.

Just some food for thought as your mind seems set on the Canon.

My mind is only made up because I've yet to see Sony rival Canon's color/image to my eyes ... if it did I'd have no problem because brand loyalty is a non-issue for me, personally.  Are you aware of any videos comparing this?  It seems you are right that if I want to use Clog3 i'll have to learn a bit of colorgrading but it seems that dropping a rec709 lut and doing some minor grading is something I should be able to pickup - that does seem like a different process than me saying I am not sure i'd want to learn or spend time trying to get skintones/colors of a Sony file as close as I can to a Canon and still fall short with a bit of disappointment.  Am I correct?

17 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Thanks it does help!

My mind is only made up because I've yet to see Sony rival Canon's color/image to my eyes ... if it did I'd have no problem because brand loyalty is a non-issue for me, personally.  Are you aware of any videos comparing this?  It seems you are right that if I want to use Clog3 i'll have to learn a bit of colorgrading but it seems that dropping a rec709 lut and doing some minor grading is something I should be able to pickup - that does seem like a different process than me saying I am not sure i'd want to learn or spend time trying to get skintones/colors of a Sony file as close as I can to a Canon and still fall short with a bit of disappointment.  Am I correct?

The gap is closing imo. Especially in daylight conditions. It's in mixed lighting Sony white balance infamously struggles, not a big problem to fix in post though.

Video comp? Quick google search pulled this one out: