The new M1 Pro/Max cpu from Apple

ntblowz

The 32 core GPU seems like crazy, pack more shaders than Radeon 6800, 10 Core cpu it state 2x increase over 10 core i9, I m waiting for the Mac mini version with the same cpu after very good experience on editing 8K/4K with MBA M1..

If AMD can put 6800 on it's Ryzen cpu it could do the same will it..?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

M1 Max looks like a pretty impressive chip. If it handles 8K RedCODE RAW (perhaps even multiple streams) without problems that would be amazing. Apple really pushing ProRes hard into the consumer spaces with it on iPhone and in non-technical keynotes.

On a side note they also added a built-in ML tracker to Final Cut 10.6. It's not perfect but its pretty slick and easy to use.

1 hour ago, maxmizer said:

The bill is wrong ... if the price in the USA is 3000 dollar , in Europe in euros it will be 4000 euro ...

No, if you'll buy it locally for people also based in the States : ) Because in Europe the prices are outrageously higher, so you're pretty accurate : )) Without mention VAT where the State and politicians live from our own expenses 1/5 to 1/4 of our year, let alone the other taxes to eat from a third to three quarters of our income and labor :- (

2 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

With the exchange rate, import taxes and "Apple Brasil tax" here, the top M1 Max costs the same as an (big) SUV...

Here in Australia the top M1Max 16" is about two-thirds the price of the cheapest brand new car.

I deliberately bought an Intel MBP in 2020 because I didn't want to beta-test the new M1 and everyones first software releases for a new chipset, and now it looks like things are right on schedule for when I upgrade in ~2022/23 for the tech to be solid and the applications to be ironed out.

At that point the prices will have calmed down a little too.  I wonder how often they'll be upgrading the chipset..  ie when the M2 will be out.

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I just pre-ordered a 16 inch MacBook Pro. Question: what's the best, yet not extremely expensive, way to transfer old analog tapes to Prores on a MacBook Pro? I haven't had a Mac in 7 years and used to use a firewire device, but I no longer have it and, of course, computers don't use firewire anymore! 

What connectivity options are there from the tape player you're looking at?  Probably easier to start with the player and work downstream I'd imagine, as then it's just a case of buying an appropriate interface.

Also, it might be easier to have someone else do the transfer?  Analog tape machines really benefit from being high-end devices that are regularly maintained and aligned etc, which is what a (good) media facility should be able to offer.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I just pre-ordered a 16 inch MacBook Pro. Question: what's the best, yet not extremely expensive, way to transfer old analog tapes to Prores on a MacBook Pro? I haven't had a Mac in 7 years and used to use a firewire device, but I no longer have it and, of course, computers don't use firewire anymore! 

If you are wanting to capture from a firewire port you'll need 3 cables/adapters

From the camera you will need a 4pin to 9 pin Firewire adapter cable. (~ €8 )

That cable then plugs into an Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. (~ €35 )

You then plug that into an Apple Thundebolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter and finally into the Mac. ( ~ €50 )

If you are wanting to capture from an analogue output from a deck then you could use a BM Analogue To SDI Mini Converter ( ~ €180 ) and then the SDI into the BM UltraStudio Recorder 3G ( ~ €100) which will convert it into Thunderbolt 3 to the Mac. 

The software that BM provide for the UltraStudio Recorder 3G captures into a range of fornats including 12bit ProRes and the unit also has an HDMI Input so may find a use for you beyond the initial job of transferring your old material.

13 hours ago, kye said:

What connectivity options are there from the tape player you're looking at?  Probably easier to start with the player and work downstream I'd imagine, as then it's just a case of buying an appropriate interface.

Also, it might be easier to have someone else do the transfer?  Analog tape machines really benefit from being high-end devices that are regularly maintained and aligned etc, which is what a (good) media facility should be able to offer.

I have professional decks that I keep in tip top shape and I regularly need to work with older VHS and SVHS footage. 🙂

On 10/22/2021 at 6:48 AM, newfoundmass said:

I had your money!?! 🤣😂😅

This looks like exciting stuff. I got the latest iMac and I have to say that for a 4k fcpx WITHOUT transcoding anything (and mine only has 8gb of RAM), it works great. Screen is great too. Apple's going to clean up with these as they hit the market with chip shortages that Apple seems to control more than the competition, bitcoin graphic card madness, and lack of intelligence from Intel (or at least a competing product with the same ballpark of performance per watt ratio). It's a perfect storm.

I have a client that, no matter what I ask, will upload spanned mts files separately and not the entire folder, so I have to merge them myself instead of letting the editing program handle it. 

On Windows I used TSmuxer. It wasn't perfect but it did the job to seamlessly merge the files, though I'd have to sometimes run the process a couple times to get it right. I think there's a version for Mac but I was wondering if there was a better option? I don't mind paid software as long as it's not too expensive and will be able to merge them seamlessly. 

My new MacBook Pro arrives Wednesday so I'm just trying to be ready for when it arrives 🙂

If you looking at the new MacBooks and are deciding whether you need 16GB, 32GB or 64GB Ram,
here is an OSX RAM torture test to help with that question, just posted yesterday.

This answers my own question, for which M1 Pro Mac Mini I might get next year. I'll save the $400, thank you OSX!

I wonder how we can compare apples to oranges...

Or as you wish a $100,000 account to a $200,000 one!?? ;- )

RAM is NEVER too much as far as handling workflow for future proof if not for anything else... and you won't be able to upgrade the thing tomorrow. Moreover, acquisition is going faster than for post-production processing/work...

- EAG

Do you mean, how can we compare laptops to desktops?
Yes, we don’t know the details on next year’s Minis yet.

For those using a Mac in a professional environment, $400 RAM is minor expense.

But for us home videographers the Maxtech video is good news.
I am optimistic that the new Minis will be just as efficient with memory as the new laptops,
making 32GB much less necessary than expected. Watch the video.
This has been my experience, even in the i5 Intel Mini with 8GB instead of 16, which I have

been using for editing H265 4K60 10bit smoothly without transcoding since 2018,

thanks to its T2 chip acceleration (blind luck there, I knew nothing about editing 4K when I bought it!).