DJI Pro Cinema Camera Announcement 20 October

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

The more companies that get into the market the better. 

With that said, I'm not sure who this camera is for. 

I'm in a number of FB camera groups across a few different camera brands/models, and every one of them gets a post every week about which gimbal camera X fits on, and which lenses will balance.  FB group posts typically last about that length before they're buried, so I suspect that this conversation is continuously being had, probably for every camera, probably in every language, around the world.

For contrast, I don't think I can recall a single thread about sliders, cranes, easy-rigs, or dollys in those groups.  Gimbals, for whatever reason, are a big deal.

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And an ergonomic awkward disaster deal breaker for other people. 

Yeah, it doesn't look particularly ergonomic!

33 minutes ago, Xavier Plagaro Mussard said:

At least if just have to stabilize the sensor + lens, and the electronic body makes weight. It will probably work great for hand held, not so well on a drone.

Aren't their drones (the big ones at least) completely modular?  You can buy the X3 and X5 and X5R separately, right?

So, maybe this thing might be compatible in some way that isn't obvious?

If they could make it so that as a wedding photographer or adventure photographer or event photographer you could buy all your equipment from DJI, that would be a pretty sweet kind of lock-in.  In this new world where every brand wants you to get locked into their eco-system, DJI are the natural choice to go first.  Much more likely than Canon or Panasonic or Blackmagic are to release a drone...  

DJI have been in the camera business for a long time already, and already make cameras and lenses.  This includes:

• the X5S which is an interchangeable MFT camera which shoot 5.2K 12-bit RAW CinemaDNG and Prores internally
  • the X7 which is a S35 sensor and shoots 6K CinemaDNG and claims 14 stops of DR
  • the Z30 which is a 1/2.8" with fixed lens with a 30x optical zoom

These are not specs to be dismissed, and if they go all-out then there's no reason they couldn't make an impressive camera, and with a 30X zoom drone camera already released then maybe it could also have stabilisation that no-one could touch.

2 hours ago, kye said:

I'm in a number of FB camera groups across a few different camera brands/models, and every one of them gets a post every week about which gimbal camera X fits on, and which lenses will balance.  FB group posts typically last about that length before they're buried, so I suspect that this conversation is continuously being had, probably for every camera, probably in every language, around the world.

For contrast, I don't think I can recall a single thread about sliders, cranes, easy-rigs, or dollys in those groups.  Gimbals, for whatever reason, are a big deal.

Yeah, I'm just not sure that there's a market for a fixed lens (I think it's fixed lens?) cinema camera. It's just a very strange camera. 

13 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, I'm just not sure that there's a market for a fixed lens (I think it's fixed lens?) cinema camera. It's just a very strange camera. 

I don't think it looks like a fixed lens...

image.png.d2fbac27bb2be308b9996f604bcac61e.png

That looks to me like a 24mm focal length, in fact, it looks like the 24mm in this set...

1510310758_IMG_899550.jpg

image.png.2a4f39487fc6936e4d1731cedd2087ea.png

Which is here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1373413-REG/dji_cp_bx_00000039_01_zenmuse_x7_part_14.html

Certainly, they have lots of other ILC cameras, so it's not a new thing for them.

• Super Members

The only common mount that is shallower than the DJI DL mount is the Nikon Z mount so there is the potential for there to be adapters for pretty much any other lens type.

In the four years since it was introduced, though, I'm not sure there actually have been any?

For this type of camera, I could certainly see the advantage of there only being four specific lenses (or more when this actually launches) as the firmware can incorporate preset balances for the gimbal to make lens changes quick and painless.

How much an advantage the actual lenses themselves are versus a broader choice of focal lengths and speeds etc is less than certain.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The only common mount that is shallower than the DJI DL mount is the Nikon Z mount so there is the potential for there to be adapters for pretty much any other lens type.

In the four years since it was introduced, though, I'm not sure there actually have been any?

For this type of camera, I could certainly see the advantage of there only being four specific lenses (or more when this actually launches) as the firmware can incorporate preset balances for the gimbal to make lens changes quick and painless.

How much an advantage the actual lenses themselves are versus a broader choice of focal lengths and speeds etc is less than certain.

Laowa made a 9mm f/2.8 ZERO-D Lens for that mount, but I couldn't find any adapters.  These were drone lenses up until this camera so adapter-related shenanigans makes a lot less sense when your camera is a mile away and you're pretty much only filming landscapes. 

This page has some MTF charts that show the lens performance.  Buyer beware as they're from the manufacturer, but they seem reasonable and making a S35 f2.8 prime isn't a major challenge if you're a huge Chinese camera company these days.

https://www.dji.com/au/zenmuse-x7 (you have to scroll down to the lenses)

Making a S35 cinema camera without support for existing lenses (even just a single other format like EF) would be product suicide, so I can't imagine them not doing that.  If they went the way that Canon did with the C70 and provided an offical speed booster then it could adapt to any EF mount FF lens then that would be a pretty good way to provide that flexibility.  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that it's probably not going to have PL support.  I know.  I'm making big calls today!