The end of EOSHD

Andrew Reid

Andrew, you do a great job with the site, and with anything that takes so much of one's time, effort and spirit, it is important to give yourself a little break, whenever you feel it's getting much.

I will suggest doing things that you havent done, not because you can't do them, but either you believed these things fo be very difficult, or you weren't sure how to pursue them. I was personally planning to run a traiathoin last year, despite never even having a run a marathon or half marathon in my life. I went out one day to test how much I can run, with absolutely zilch practice, and I ran about 7.5kms, with no prior preparation. I wasn't exhausted, but I didn't run more, cause I didn't wanna  become that guy who randomly dies, cause he decided to break some distance record, at his very first attempt. I am very comfortable at cycling even though I haven't done in over a decade, and my swimming is extremely slow and I had terrible buoyancy until, recently, when I discovered yoga. But, I see a lotta people with different physical handicaps, and extremely high level of mental power, and I realise, if I push myself, and be a little consistent, I should be able to pull it off.

2020 was all about about being broken down, by everything around.

2021, is about being crazy, and doing things you've never done before. Screw the formalities, just do things you want to, and care a fuck about anyone, including your self doubt, telling you, you can't.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The world is changing rapidly, old businesses are dying and new ones are being created every day.

This has hit many of us and we have hard decisions to make. But sometimes these decisions can be liberating once we get past the grieving stage.

In your case, you created something great, it gave you an income, influence, opportunities, friends...but maybe it has to change and evolve. Maybe it won't make you money, maybe it will, maybe it won't take up so much of your time, maybe it will become only a great forum where we can look for support.

But the heart of the matter is you. It sounds like you need a break, to do something else, get your passion back. Maybe your passion will lie somewhere else other than film making or maybe you just need an exciting project to kick start it all again. Only you will know and only if you listen to your heart.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

PS, if you are selling FF Lumix gear I might be interested! 😉

Hey Andrew,

Just wanted to take a second and send some good vibes your way. I know it's been a truly dark and shitty time and that often times it's unavoidable to get trapped in darker thoughts and moods, But I do know that this community is definitely a source of goodness and light (For as good as camera info can be) 

I've learned a ton off of threads and people here and have really enjoyed my time active on this forum. A lot of times it's easier to lurk than it is to log in and contribute, but there's still so many cool things to keep up with born out of this community. 

So much anamorphic knowledge, the nx1 hack, the AFX module and so many other things I wouldn't know about had it not been for this community. 

I love the discussions and speculations/conversations, but I also had a wonderful time with the $200 and under camera challenge. 

I know it's not easy to continue to find novelty and fulfillment in this world of endless revisions and new models, but I think we have a pretty good group of people active here to do that.

I hope you're in a position where you can take a weekend away and clear your head or something, even if it's just some place local. 

Also, I really appreciate you being open and sharing with us. Be well man!!

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yep, it's not EOSHD that's the problem it's me! I need to get my enthusiasm back. It's been a tough time.

Thanks for the comments guys, it is helping me figure things out a lot.

While true, it's been a tough time for all of us. I deal with depression, I have my whole life, but the last couple years, especially with the pandemic, has been brutal. I think most of us, to some extent, are feeling beaten down and exhausted. My enthusiasm and creativity certainly has taken a hit. So don't feel like you're the only one. I have faith you'll get your mojo back. 

Hey Andrew, just want to leave a comment of encouragement for whatever you decide to venture into! Your site found me in my college days as I was just about to graduate, looking for an affordable camera to make my own. Everyone was centered on the Canon line at my school; but your review of the Nikon D5200, caught my eye and I spent the next five years or so actively engaged in filmmaking/photography. (I now have a separate career but still keep a XT3 on hand for hobby)

I particularly have enjoyed your honesty in the way you present the subject at hand. While I realize nothing lasts forever, just wanted to let you know I’ve thoroughly enjoyed browsing near-daily thru EOS-HD, for the last 7-8 years! This site, along with the profiles that made content I love on my Sony A6500, will be a cherished memory of mine should you decide to pursue a new creative outlet. Whatever lights the creative spark again, wishing you all the best!

Some of those channels changed to just cover tech products (especially Apple stuff) after covid like max and everyday dad.. the last video the everyday dad talks about was the xt-4 over a year go. The M1 from apple really reignite the spark again on tech side.

I m thinking getting ipad mini just for ultra portable device that can also do backup now that it got usb-c port. I got mba m1 even though it is small and light on laptop standards but still over 1KG heaver than ipad mini.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:25 PM, Andrew Reid said:

The original purpose and spirit of picking up a small mirrorless camera and making films is still there today and we need to help one another on that mission.

There you go. With the amazing knowledge you have now aquired with AV tech, lenses, digital imaging, cinema, you must embrace making movies, that is you responsibility. Remember good directors normally make it on the long run, hence it's not late, only the beginning. The fact that Tech is now mature and accesible is an opportunity, and your vast knowledge a huge asset, plus you already have a community of trufull followers. It's the Indian not the bow. Looking forward to see your work. Reserving the pop corn. Peace.

I was only here for three years because I didn't really know the site before.  I am guilty as charged for posting frivolous stuff on the forums.  If I am honest I think this was insecurity that I didn't have the skillset of the other users.

This has been a unique site led by the finest host.  How does one quantify that ?  Because it is the most stone-cold honest of all by a long mile.  Thus any "brash" or "rude" qualities have always seemed entirely in context to me.  In that spirit, I must say End of EOSHD vid is one of the finest presentations of all time, evoking a range of emotion, from a certain perhaps unintentional humour to mostly the feeling of tremendous sadness.

I don't want to get political or peddle my own corner, but the Lockdowns have been very tough, and horrible to see what is happening to others.  I risk yet another frivolous post, but Andrew I truly hope you stay and extend my very best wishes to you if you choose otherwise.

🙂 ❤️

Hey Andrew, 

Just saw your video, and wanted to reach out and say I hear you mate. I get it. Completely. 

You helped give me the courage and insight years ago, way back in 2010, right?, to bust out and make a feature with a GH2 Lumix/Lomo. Total creative explosion that was, making Mandorla. You led the revolutionary charge, Commander. 

And one of the best times I’ve had shooting was the day we shot our anamorphic Lumix/Lomos in good ol’ Buxton!

Hang in there, mate. You’ll suss this out. And everybody here will stick with you, whatever you decide!

Keep us posted. Looking forward to a pint on the otherwise of this abyss!!

Onward!

Roberto 

Mandorla... I remember that:

https://www.eoshd.com/creative-filmmaking/shooting-a-feature-with-the-panasonic-gh2-and-lomo-anamorphic-lenses/

Andrew doesn't need to make anything else to be the inspiration his pioneer work as influencer before many others has been for so many other people as much as Jonas Mekas I had the pleasure to personally meet was for previous generations and still is.

I even think Andrew must be careful because he has a legacy to defend and this must be preserved.

EAG :- )

17 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Mandorla... I remember that:

https://www.eoshd.com/creative-filmmaking/shooting-a-feature-with-the-panasonic-gh2-and-lomo-anamorphic-lenses/

Andrew doesn't need to make anything else to be the inspiration his pioneer work as influencer before many others has been for so many other people as much as Jonas Mekas I had the pleasure to personally meet was for previous generations and still is.

I even think Andrew must be careful because he has a legacy to defend and this must be preserved.

EAG :- )

Holy shit, this still looks great.

2 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Holy shit, this still looks great.

Exactly what I said (-still) when I saw our first test with the GH2/Lomo in the streets of Lyon with Alice, our lovely and sharp First AD:

And the final trailer was representative of the film:

Again, THANKS TO ANDREW and everyone in the EOSHD community who inspired us to take the leap with the GH2/Lomo... and supported us as we tried out Driftwood hacks... and finished the film!!

A grand total of two technologies have been relevant for the MILC/DSLR budget community in the last 7-8 years, the main audience of this blog:

• Canon's DPAF (originally seen in the 70D)
  • Panasonic's affordable 4K in a relatively large sensor (GH4)

After that every new advancement has been absolutely minuscule since 99.9% of today's output with consumer-grade gear goes to YouTube, social media and maybe Vimeo.

What does any of that have to do with this blog?

There's a HUGE audience that would be well-served with older tech reviews and opinionated pieces emphasizing retro-affordable gear in 2022 and beyond. That's the new frontier, Andrew: prosumers who want to go beyong their cell-phone but can't spend 10K+ on lenses and a cutting-edge camera body for a 1% increase in output quality.

I haven't even mentioned older videocameras. Huge market there for newcomers.

My comment won't be as long ar as deeply insightful as the others, but 2 words- HELL NO, don't stop. You've given us honest analysis over many years (though I don't post a lot, my first one was 2013) and I definitely would like to see more honest opinions. 

Take a rest, but come back after this whole worldwide pandemic takes a back seat. The other things that you mentioned doing can be done hand in hand with the continuation of this website in a all new improved format.

Anyways, take care of both your mental and physical health and come back stronger. Best