C500

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
For $30,000?  Dynamic range can't even beat a Red Scarlet?  And what happens in 6 months when the Dragon upgrades get installed?

Uh oh. 

And we are still a year away from a C500 launch.  I think Arri, Red, Sony can rest easy - Canon just doesn't get it.  They "want" to play in the high end but this isn't going about it right.

What is with Canon and making sensors that HAVE HORRIBLE dynamic range vs their competition.  4 years after the release of the MK2, the MK3 gains almost NO dynamic range increase for video or stills:

http://tiny.cc/gtzadw

[b]"This means that the manufacturer has made very little progress since the appearance of the 1Ds Mark III and the 1D Mark IV."[/b]

http://tiny.cc/pvzadw (horrible Canon Mk3 photo results)

Something is wrong with Canon.  Users are not asking for slightly rehashed versions of old cameras with an INCREASED price.

Thanks for the update.

Hi Sara,
I posted the DR number of 12 for the C500 as a comparison to BM.  The BM will have at least 13 stops.  Maybe BM will end up with 14 to 15???
  I got in touch with BM yesterday and they have been working their tales off.  In a few weeks there should be some raw footage available.  They don't want to release footage prematurely as they want to show the best product at the time.  People are very judgemental, me included, so I can understand their situation with this new product. 

[quote author=FilmMan link=topic=635.msg4689#msg4689 date=1335372468]
Hi Sara,
I posted the DR number of 12 for the C500 as a comparison to BM.  The BM will have at least 13 stops.  Maybe BM will end up with 14 to 15???
  I got in touch with BM yesterday and they have been working their tales off.  In a few weeks there should be some raw footage available.  They don't want to release footage prematurely as they want to show the best product at the time.  People are very judgemental, me included, so I can understand their situation with this new product.
[/quote]

The more the better - but even if they are able to come close to the 13 they claim it will be incredible for the $3000 asking price.

As for Jeff Cronenweth - I actually liked the Dragon Tattoo though parts looked a little video-y and DR was limited at times. 

[quote author=cameraboy link=topic=635.msg4735#msg4735 date=1335431641]
i like Jeff Cronenweth style low key and lot of scenes light with practical lights...
but his best work is Fight Club ...he is not DP who can work with digital ...he and David Fincher should back to shoot with on film...
[/quote]

I think he's awesome, and clearly Fight Club looks the best. But the social Network looked good too.  I think the choice of camera has been more of Fincher's choice, because he likes to shoot 100 takes of everything. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff is dying to go back to film.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=HurtinMinorKey link=topic=635.msg4742#msg4742 date=1335455132]
[quote author=cameraboy link=topic=635.msg4735#msg4735 date=1335431641]
i like Jeff Cronenweth style low key and lot of scenes light with practical lights...
but his best work is Fight Club ...he is not DP who can work with digital ...he and David Fincher should back to shoot with on film...
[/quote]

I think he's awesome, and clearly Fight Club looks the best. But the social Network looked good too.  I think the choice of camera has been more of Fincher's choice, because he likes to shoot 100 takes of everything. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff is dying to go back to film.
[/quote]

Are you sure?

«[i]I miss shooting film, but I don't miss not sleeping at night. I like going to sleep knowing I have a job in the morning rather than calling the lab at 5 and asking, "Is there an image there?" I think we're in the infancy stage of it. So a lot's going to change.[/i]»

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/24/showbiz/movies/qa-jeff-cronenweth-oscar/index.html

;-)

I think the difference from canon and the other competitors like red and arri is that canon makes/designs their own censor. Red and Arri get their sensors form other companies. this probably lets them stay leaner and shop around and push companies to do specific tweaks to there sensors. where canon I think it trying to make one sensor to rule them all.
As video taxes a cmos chip in a different way than stills.

• Administrators
[quote author=HurtinMinorKey link=topic=635.msg5195#msg5195 date=1336694107]
[quote author=dustatron link=topic=635.msg5194#msg5194 date=1336693673]
As video taxes a cmos chip in a different way than stills.
[/quote]

Please elaborate.
[/quote]

Faster readout, more heat generated (makes for more noise), demands of video on CMOS design such as a rolling shutter which is fast enough (to avoid crazy jello) rather than a mechanical shutter, in-line A/D converters to allow fast readout of digital data to the image processor.