Canon R3 Video Specs from leaked PDF

gt3rs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Doesn't sound like it can do RAW over HDMI anyway, so I don't think many people will be using the HDMI to record anyway though I still don't get why you'd use micro HDMI on such a beefy camera (other than Canon just doing Canon things.) 

Seems like the 6k is limited to RAW only. 

This will be way too expensive for my tastes, but it does seem like a very good camera for Canon users that need a true hybrid, assuming the image quality is good and rolling shutter isn't bad (no one can show the videos or pictures they recorded.) The stacked sensor should help with that though, I think. 

3 hours ago, Simon Young said:

If they don't miraculously fuck it up with 1dxiii/R6 levels of rolling shutter and overheating this is a day one purchase.

"The rolling shutter distortion is reduced to about 1/4th of that of the 1DX 3" 😅

If indeed this doesn't overheat this will be a no brainer purchase for me as well!

By the way, the pdf link is no longer working, can someone re-upload?

Just saw the dpreview first impressions.. the rolling shutter is apparently double that of the photo mode so I guess twice as low as 1DX3 instead of 1/4 which is still pretty good. Jordan reports that he took the camera from Chris who was shooting stills for an hour and got an overheat warning after 4 minutes of 4K120p?!? Wtf...

Well I guess according to that PDF on a "cold start":  no overheat in 4K30p HQ. 60mn limit in 4K60p HQ. 12 minutes in 4K120p. 25-60mn in 6K RAW. Of course on a "hot start" those measurements will vary. 

So bottom line is they've improved substantially since R5 but we can't really say "no overheating". 

Gordon Laing's video is the best. DPReview hardly told us anything.

He shows samples of log video (un-graded) in clog3 and shows detailed 400% zoom chart tests to show detail in all the modes versus R5. It does look like the R3 is landing solidly in-between the R5 and A1 as far as quality and specs go. No 30 min record limit. Gordon got 6 hours of record time off external power source, 2h 12m off of internal battery shooting in 4K25p. 

With the new data hot shoe, IBIS, and DIS the R3 is shaping up to be a pretty capable video camera with plenty of room for R1 to flex.

Also, setting white balance is now like all the other cameras. No more taking a picture and loading the white balance. Please bring this to R5!

It's important to distinguish rolling shutter in photo mode (assisted by DRAM), and in video mode (direct ADC IO)

In photo mode, R3 has a electronic shutter flash sync speed of 1/180s at 14bit, indicating a sensor readout speed higher than that. (A1 e-flash sync is 1/200s and sensor readout 1/250s at 14bit). This aligns with the official claim that the rolling shutter is about 1/4 of 1DX III (1/60s at 14bit).

In video mode, the full sensor has a readout speed of 1/50s at 12bit, this enables a 16:9 crop of 6K at 60fps.

Hard to judge from YouTube video but from Gordon's video my feeling in term of sharpness:

R3 4k 25 = R5 4k 25 HQ
R5 8K 25 > R3 4k 25
R3 4k 25 > R5 4k 25
R3 4k 100 > R5 4k 100

Unfortunately no test for 4k 60 and no 6k RAW vs 8k RAW although I bet the R3 4k 60 > R5 and R5 8k RAW > R3.

Rolling shutter seems like the R5 and A1 for video. Ready to bet for around 14ms for <= 60p

Apparently there is no CLog only CLog3. 100 and 120 fps only conformed so no audio (why why why this is my biggest complain on the R5)

Finally they got rid of this silly 30min limit.....

I think I prefer to have 2 R5 than 1 R3..... maybe best would be to have 1 R5 and 1 R3 but $$$$

Pretty cool release, I haven't seen a detailed spec chart yet but curious if they stuck with 4:2:2 10bit for video or if you can drop down to 4:2:0 10bit, also I assume it will support dual slot recording for the modes that will support the SD card's lower data rate throughput, and without dual gain ISO it remains to be seen if this is as clean at 4000ISO as the Panasonic S series bodies.

Also, it has the accessory hotshoe so it will work with the Tascam XLR adapter so another plus. 4K120FPS is great as well, I've started wishing I had that in the Panasonic S5. 

Fortunately for my wallet, I don't need any of the high speed photography features that this offers so I will sit this one out. I will admit, with every release Canon gets closer to my dream camera but its still not quite there yet. The shutter sync speed is disappointing, it does not have an integrated wireless flash controller like the S5, no dual gain ISO like the S5, and no word on if it will support a WFM to assist with exposing CLOG or CLOG3.

The rumored release of the R5c next year might interest me but what it would take to get me to switch back to Canon for video or buy a MILC Canon body for photography keeps growing. For me the perfect camera would be:

• Canon's AF capabilities
  • Dual gain ISO or at least as clean as the S5 at 4000ISO
  • XLR adapter for run and gun XLR audio
  • Flash sync speed 1/320s or higher
  • Integrated wireless flash trigger (at least 4 channels)
  • WFM for exposing LOG
  • Monitoring LUT for shooting LOG
  • False Color LUT in camera
  • Backwards compatibility with EF mount
  • 4:2:0 10bit H.265 codec
  • Up to 4K120FPS
  • Dual slot video recording
  • Dual slots with both slots the same memory card type (SD preferred)
  • At least 30min with no overheating at 4K60FPS
  • At least 24MP