The new Matrix trailer

Matins 2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Definitely a "look" to fit how movies are made today.

Do I like it... not really - but I'm more interested in the storyline and the direction that (atleast) one of the original creators will take this movie. Its definitely hitting the right notes with regards to my nostalgic preferences.

But... its always been about the storylines for me. Get past the glitz and glamour, get past the CGI, get past the colouring, get past the editorial choices and cuts, get past the BGM or musical choices -> hit an original storyline and I'm in.... I don't want a regurgitated storyline just because its supposed to be nostalgic - I would rather watch the original series for that.

6 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Oh by the way - they went from that green look to a golden/brown look - that could be part of the storyline right??? What iteration of the Matrix is this??? 22 years from the last movie - how can the matrix remain the same? Its evolving to match how we see the world??? I'm not saying that they should look like every other movie - but from green to what other color would the world look more real? Red, pink, purple, blue? 

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

Definitely a "look" to fit how movies are made today.

Do I like it... not really - but I'm more interested in the storyline and the direction that (atleast) one of the original creators will take this movie. Its definitely hitting the right notes with regards to my nostalgic preferences.

But... its always been about the storylines for me. Get past the glitz and glamour, get past the CGI, get past the colouring, get past the editorial choices and cuts, get past the BGM or musical choices -> hit an original storyline and I'm in.... I don't want a regurgitated storyline just because its supposed to be nostalgic - I would rather watch the original series for that.

Might as well read a book...

29 minutes ago, Matins 2 said:

Might as well read a book...

Done that too... in fact - most books (not all) translated to movies or tv series do pretty well...

Besides, it takes great talent to translate a book into a movie. 

Also, there is a reason why platforms like audible is working.... people just too lazy to read a book.

It definitely had a more modern look than the originals. I think the OG Matrix is one of the best action movies of all time. 

I was very entertained by the trailer, hopefully the movie is as good. I'd assume that, since its being made by Lana Wachowski, it'll be decent and not just homage/reboot drivel. 

12 hours ago, Matins 2 said:

What were they thinking? Is this a parody? What's your take on it?

4.png

i did get a giggle out of this image...  everyone caught up in their own little virtual world. Without a clue whats actually going on. Art imitating life or what ? 🤔

i'm lucky, i'm heading away from civilization for three weeks. Otherwise i'd be hard pressed to keep my pants on, "metaphorically speaking of course 😳"  However i'll be back in time to see it at the local cinema.  With a large popcorn and frozen coke and a little red pill. I'm just praying, its not some kind of rehash/remake, fleece the public kinda sequel.

I think {hope} we're seeing some clever marketing here. Much of the trailer footage shows a sort of hyper-realistic video gamey aesthetic... perhaps because it is a video game of sorts. Maybe it is the next iteration of the matrix after Neo reached the source and saved Zion. Similar to how the Matrix color tone was green and the real world was blueish in the trilogy, perhaps the matrix is ultra bright, colorful, and contrasty in this movie??

58 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

I think {hope} we're seeing some clever marketing here. Much of the trailer footage shows a sort of hyper-realistic video gamey aesthetic... perhaps because it is a video game of sorts. Maybe it is the next iteration of the matrix after Neo reached the source and saved Zion. Similar to how the Matrix color tone was green and the real world was blueish in the trilogy, perhaps the matrix is ultra bright, colorful, and contrasty in this movie??

It looks absolutely terrible. But it was totally to be expected.

2 hours ago, Matins 2 said:

It looks absolutely terrible. But it was totally to be expected.

That's what I'm saying though. Is this terrible new aesthetic a sort of meta take on the film industry right now? The machines have formed a poorly-shot green screen,  ultra punchy color hellscape for humans to live within which mirrors the state of much of cinema now.

Or is this just an ugly movie. Lol.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:50 AM, leslie said:

i did get a giggle out of this image...  everyone caught up in their own little virtual world. Without a clue whats actually going on. Art imitating life or what ? 🤔

i'm lucky, i'm heading away from civilization for three weeks. Otherwise i'd be hard pressed to keep my pants on, "metaphorically speaking of course 😳"  However i'll be back in time to see it at the local cinema.  With a large popcorn and frozen coke and a little red pill. I'm just praying, its not some kind of rehash/remake, fleece the public kinda sequel.

They could do a whole movie about this subject. An analog man lost in an increasingly digitized world. And I would definitely watch it. Not this nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed overall at how the trailer came off. But maybe there will indeed be some clever, impactful plot to enjoy.

ALSO please tell me someone else noticed that the ENTIRE first 20 seconds (and not just the brief shot of exterior of some house) are in CG not filmed for real? That whole section with Neil Patrick Harris - look at the (lack of) realism of certain parts of his skin, his clothes, the extra saturation in the colours too. Lacking the subtlely of color in real shots or something. Keanu's hair (closest to forehead), the macro-like shot where his fingers anxiously twitch against some fabric, plus the very clearly post-production 'candid' camera shake effect on that part doesn't help either. Why make a scene like that purely in CG? plot significance.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from the cinema. Film itself aside. What the hell, one of the ugliest uncinematic shot with a phone looking film I have seen in the cinema! Reminded me Hobbits (which looked actually good in 24p) 48fps experience, but this was 24frames and still looked like a cheap tv show.
Usually when trailers don't look that great, the films end up looking good in cinemas but this somehow looked worse. Difference was staggering when there were shots from the old trilogy thrown in, why are the filmakers/Wachowski ok with this?

22 minutes ago, Fatalfury said:

Just came back from the cinema. Film itself aside. What the hell, one of the ugliest uncinematic shot with a phone looking film I have seen in the cinema! Reminded me Hobbits (which looked actually good in 24p) 48fps experience, but this was 24frames and still looked like a cheap tv show.
Usually when trailers don't look that great, the films end up looking good in cinemas but this somehow looked worse. Difference was staggering when there were shots from the old trilogy thrown in, why are the filmakers/Wachowski ok with this?

I feared that looking at the trailer, no “filmic look “ or not looking like the originals… In the end of revolutions, the matrix turns into a highly colored popping world, maybe they are trying to convey that look?

33 minutes ago, elgabogomez said:

I feared that looking at the trailer, no “filmic look “ or not looking like the originals… In the end of revolutions, the matrix turns into a highly colored popping world, maybe they are trying to convey that look?

Bringing a different look/colorful isn't a problem as an idea, and in a way this is what they probably were meaning to do.
But did it have to look soapy/cheap and uncinematic, the image h made action feel completely weightless (bad editing didn't help), stupid blur effect also ruined it a bit.  

On 12/22/2021 at 10:07 PM, Fatalfury said:

You know a movie you watch once and never again ... thats the one! I swear the old ones were millions times better than the new movie.

Story line was awfull am devastated 😢