Sony A7 IV

Django

1 hour ago, Django said:

Interesting, well looks like even the mighty S1H has got some pretty glaring limitations..

At 6K 3:2 mode the S1H has a whopping 29.7ms of RS. Barely usable outside of locked shots.

Anamorphic shooting aside then, it is certainly possible to compare (16:9) IQ:

S1H has 5.9K. A7IV has oversampled 4K from 7K.

In 16:9 4K/5.9K RS averages at 24ms. That's about what the A7IV does.

10-bit is 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2. Win for the A7IV.

4K60p is cropped on both.

Sony has latest-gen PDAF with tracking vs contrast AF.

Sony has SLog3 & S-Cinetone profile. Not sure about the Panasonic.

Anything else concerning IQ?

I prefer to get 5,9K and 6K open gate than 4k oversampled to 7k. Furthermore, I don't know about the A7IV but the A7III and A7SIII have massive noise reduction, I think the A7IV will have the same. The IBIS on Sony is almost useless, it depend if you use your camera for run and gun, but the S5/S1/S1H are miles ahead for stabilization. About LOG, Panasonic has VLOG, DR and colors are top-notch

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Always a compromise and personal choice in the end. As most of you know I'm primarily a Canon shooter when it comes to hybrid cameras. L series glass and flash system for photography is what keeps me locked in + the DPAF, color science and skin tones for video. My workhorse for video however is a FS7 and this A7IV will probably make a nice b-cam / FF side kick. I tend to choose systems based on native lenses and hence Panny and L-mount is a no-go. Horses for courses.

I put a preorder in for one. I have a lot invested in Sony glass.  I'll be using this for a lot of photography jobs but it will make a great second camera for my Siii. The rolling shutter sucks but I know that going into it. Being able to match the cameras will really help out compared to previous Sony models. A huge selling point is my underwater housing will also fit the 7IV along with the Siii. 

Cameras are incredible these days. So many great choices for someone and with rental houses it makes it ever easier to test what you need. 

I am happy that the 4k/60 is cropped. Maybe we will see less "cinematic" videos shooting all slow-mo of a women walking in a city or run down area. 

Now the wait begins. Fingers crossed that the late December shipping date is accurate! 

33 minutes ago, DFason said:

I am happy that the 4k/60 is cropped. Maybe we will see less "cinematic" videos shooting all slow-mo of a women walking in a city or run down area. 

Lol.. the 4K60 crop really isn't that bad.. but if anything I'd be tempted to say Super35 is more cinematic than FF!

Personally I think it would have been nice if we also had windowed 4K120p (even if x2 crop). 

Now the wait begins. Fingers crossed that the late December shipping date is accurate! 

That will depend on chip supply. Better to get in early though if you don't want a PS5 situation!

This is going to sound like a 180 degrees turn, but I was forgetting one feature the s1h has that no Sony (outside of fs, fx line) has, c4k! That is the sweet spot the panny reaches, 10bit, 4:2:2 all intra in 3840x2160 AND  4096x2160 internal recording. 
That is the combo that matches prores or dnxhr and can be considered the standard for quality video. And the reason I didn’t include the S1 and S5 is because they don’t offer the intra option Internally.

Not everyone needs c4k but excluding it is classic Sony.

2 hours ago, Django said:

Lol.. the 4K60 crop really isn't that bad.. but if anything I'd be tempted to say Super35 is more cinematic than FF!

Personally I think it would have been nice if we also had windowed 4K120p (even if x2 crop). 

That will depend on chip supply. Better to get in early though if you don't want a PS5 situation!

Oh I know. I am all for the crop for the work I do too. But some of those YTers will literally not buy it for that reason alone. I extra crop on 120 would have been great but understand why Sony wont. 

Oh yea. I put the preorder in at 12:01. We shall see! 

I really like that they included intra on the RIV. I really like the codec on my M1. 

1 hour ago, elgabogomez said:

This is going to sound like a 180 degrees turn, but I was forgetting one feature the s1h has that no Sony (outside of fs, fx line) has, c4k! That is the sweet spot the panny reaches, 10bit, 4:2:2 all intra in 3840x2160 AND  4096x2160 internal recording. 
That is the combo that matches prores or dnxhr and can be considered the standard for quality video. And the reason I didn’t include the S1 and S5 is because they don’t offer the intra option Internally.

Not everyone needs c4k but excluding it is classic Sony.

True, but in that case Canon (R5/R3) wins hand-down:

R5_Movie_Options.png

DCI or UHD 8K / 4K. RAW or 10-bit 4:2:2 ALL-I / IPB. Everything internal.

I’m not getting anywhere close to a canon r5 for the overheating issue, the dynamic range is not that good other than in 8k raw and I’m not ready for an 8k workflow. The r3 is really interesting… but is 6k dollars and at that point, you can be thinking Komodo or fx6 for very real benefits (red raw, global shutter… vari nd, real video camera)

If I was starting with a clean sheet, for my specific needs, Sony would still only be my 5th choice behind:

Canon (never thought I’d say that)

Fuji (I miss Fuji, especially for stills)

L Mount (where I currently am and no regrets as such)

Nikon (I could easily shoot the 6/7 system)

Sony (doesn’t tick as many boxes as the others above)

But for some, many even, I’m sure the IV and Sony in general is good for them.