Shoot Film Stills?

mercer

21 hours ago, mercer said:

Great work, Tim. Some of your shots seem familiar. Do you have a Canonet QL17 Giii and have posted some of your shots on Flickr?

I love the idea of processing my own film, but I don't have the space to do it. Have you ever used the Cafenol processing?

Thanks - I especially appreciate your words as I really like the stuff of yours that I've seen over the years. 

I have posted some film shots on Flickr, but my Canonet is the 19 (the cheap one!). 

I haven't tried Cafenol. It's somewhere on my list. But you mustn't feel you need loads of space to process. Even when I was doing colour as well I could pretty much fit the whole kit into the small plastic storage box I used as a tempering bath! 

Took up about 1/20 of the space my video kit occupies (much to my wife's chagrin). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/27/2021 at 1:10 AM, Anaconda_ said:

I went the other way, and started shooting stereo photos a couple years ago. So a 36 roll gets 18 stereo sets. I quickly learned I need to ask the developer not to cut the negatives, because they camera rolls the film at an odd length between shots. Unfortunately, they cut a few frames in half... but luckily, I had the other angle, so now those ones are just nice, stand-alone pictures.

I then process the negative at home, with a slide scanner, a touch of colour adjustments and then pairing and aligning the correct images. Quite a bit of work, but it's also simple and becomes something of a routine after 2 or 3.

I use a trusty use a Stereo Realist, it's a rangefinder camera, and surprisingly quick to use once you get used to it. It's also reasonably small, so when I first got it, I took it with me for many shoots for some lovely stereo behind the scenes snaps. Happy to share a couple, but you might need some equipment to get the stereo effect. either a stereo viewer, (those VR headsets you can put your phone in work very well) or try the ol' cross your eyes and stare through the frame - which can get a little exhausting after a while.

EDIT: It's a shame stereo-photography never really took off with digital. There's only a handful of models that do it well enough to be worth the time, and they're few and far between on the second hand market. Recently I've been looking at beam splitters, but even those are hard to come by. They are available for phones, but I don't think there's enough usable resolution (on mine at least) to have a good image once you've cut it in half.

I’ve been waiting years for a good Stereo 3D DSLR or mirrorless.

My grandfather gave me this Zeiss pocket viewer for 35mm transparencies from the 1960’s:

32418161_pocketviewer.jpg.410420d5c62de8287f76ab3efca85ae4.jpg

So I started shooting stereo pairs in the 1970’s, static scenes with one camera.
The results with Kodachrome & Ektachrome in this viewer are amazing!

It also works well with slides in plastic pages on a light box:

1508543490_lightbox.jpg.9ef048c7d3a059eabd2338b93a6b412b.jpg

I often shoot 3D pairs on the Fuji X-T3, static scenes, hand-held or on a slider.

I use StereoPhoto Maker (free, Windows) to automatically align the left & right shots,
and save to a stereo file.

Many video projectors will display 3D MPO stills with glasses,
and my Sony works passably well on a big 10 ft wide screen.

But it’s still not as good as 35mm slides in my Zeiss viewer!

On 8/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, Tim Sewell said:

I use a Nikon 35mm film scanner that was the most expensive item out of all the stuff I acquired for the 'project'.

I apologize for my lateness been away attending a school reunion

The stereo effect is pretty cool 

i have the nikon cool scan iii. Is that what you have ? mine has the scsi port. some how when i moved here i lost the computer with the scsi card in it. so its been out of action for ten years or more. Been considering getting another card but probably need an old computer with windows 95 or similar  as well i would think.

got an order in for film at the local photo store, however he's having trouble getting film stock in of any description. 

Some nostalgia for the thread, my last film slr and one of the first digital cameras. Both cameras still work, well the last time i put batteries in them, they did anyway. The nikon been modified . I took out the hot mirror/glass and put some normal glass in it. its now as inferred camera however the glass i used is too thin and it only focuses on flowers   at the moment.

canon-t90.jpg

nikon-950.jpg

16 hours ago, Jay60p said:

I’ve been waiting years for a good Stereo 3D DSLR or mirrorless.

My grandfather gave me this Zeiss pocket viewer for 35mm transparencies from the 1960’s:

32418161_pocketviewer.jpg.410420d5c62de8287f76ab3efca85ae4.jpg

So I started shooting stereo pairs in the 1970’s, static scenes with one camera.
The results with Kodachrome & Ektachrome in this viewer are amazing!

It also works well with slides in plastic pages on a light box:

1508543490_lightbox.jpg.9ef048c7d3a059eabd2338b93a6b412b.jpg

I often shoot 3D pairs on the Fuji X-T3, static scenes, hand-held or on a slider.

I use StereoPhoto Maker (free, Windows) to automatically align the left & right shots,
and save to a stereo file.

Many video projectors will display 3D MPO stills with glasses,
and my Sony works passably well on a big 10 ft wide screen.

But it’s still not as good as 35mm slides in my Zeiss viewer!

Forgot to mention I also use a Blu-Ray player
that is 3D capable connected to the projector:

(.MPO 1920x1080 files played thru my Yamaha BD-S677 work,
but they do not work thru my Panasonic DP-UB420 3D player.
It may be a Sony projector thing.)

I expect eventually new hi-res virtual reality headsets or
projector picture quality will match my slide pocket viewer.
My X-T3 stereo pairs are waiting.

On 8/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, Tim Sewell said:

Thanks - I especially appreciate your words as I really like the stuff of yours that I've seen over the years. 

Thank you, that is kind of you to say. I'm really hoping to get back to shooting video soon.

I have posted some film shots on Flickr, but my Canonet is the 19 (the cheap one!).

Flickr has one of the worst search engines I've ever seen, so it's possible your shots from the QL19 ended up in a QL17 search.

haven't tried Cafenol. It's somewhere on my list. But you mustn't feel you need loads of space to process. Even when I was doing colour as well I could pretty much fit the whole kit into the small plastic storage box I used as a tempering bath! 

Took up about 1/20 of the space my video kit occupies (much to my wife's chagrin). 

Interesting, I'll do some more research. This hobby is very new. I've only shot a few rolls and haven't sent any out to get developed yet. I'm hoping to keep the entire process as cheap and painless as possible.

Do you have any cheap film stock recommendations? B&W and color?

@mercer fun fun fun!

I took analog photography in highschool and have enjoyed the process ever since. I started on the Olympus Trip 35 and still mostly use that one even though I've got more advanced SLRs today. These old selenium light metered point-and-shoots are just too much fun. I just use the 4 focus zones; one guy, two guys, three guys and mountain. I guess the technical terms are; headshot (1m/3'), twoshot (1.5m/5'), group shot (3m/10') and infinity. 🤷‍♂️ 
If I need to, I snap out of automatic iris and shoot aperture priority. As far as I know, the camera choses either a 1/40 or 1/200 shutter. Limiting, but fun and simple.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Do you have any cheap film stock recommendations? B&W and color?

I almost exclusively shoot B&W, that is enough colors for me.  I've been mostly using Kodak TMAX 400, although I prefer Tri-X. Ilford Delta or HP5 are solid, cheaper options. All readily available, at least where I am at. And if u ever use filmstock emulations on your digital footage, why not try out your favorite on analog? 🙂 

I develop at home, with a Paterson Changing Bag and Developer Tank. I either use Kodak D-76 or Cinestill DF96 Monobath, the latter which is one bath for both developing and fix, although because of the grain structure, TMAX film needs double the bath time in that chemical.

I use an Epson V600 flatbed scanner. If I had the space for a dark room I'd probably enlarge as well.

I'll provide some samples from Kodak TMAX 400 in the Olympus Trip 35. Scratches and dust included.
img20201010_18142137.thumb.jpg.796ee317d860f3db7bb29d4bd299272b.jpg
img20201010_21323065.thumb.jpg.97ef454b2330d6ada4ad3087cc9f406d.jpgKlocka.thumb.jpg.66881b2be7844e739df712c931a01b15.jpg

1 hour ago, meudig said:

@mercer fun fun fun!

I took analog photography in highschool and have enjoyed the process ever since. I started on the Olympus Trip 35 and still mostly use that one even though I've got more advanced SLRs today. These old selenium light metered point-and-shoots are just too much fun. I just use the 4 focus zones; one guy, two guys, three guys and mountain. I guess the technical terms are; headshot (1m/3'), twoshot (1.5m/5'), group shot (3m/10') and infinity. 🤷‍♂️ 
If I need to, I snap out of automatic iris and shoot aperture priority. As far as I know, the camera choses either a 1/40 or 1/200 shutter. Limiting, but fun and simple.

I almost exclusively shoot B&W, that is enough colors for me.  I've been mostly using Kodak TMAX 400, although I prefer Tri-X. Ilford Delta or HP5 are solid, cheaper options. All readily available, at least where I am at. And if u ever use filmstock emulations on your digital footage, why not try out your favorite on analog? 🙂 

I develop at home, with a Paterson Changing Bag and Developer Tank. I either use Kodak D-76 or Cinestill DF96 Monobath, the latter which is one bath for both developing and fix, although because of the grain structure, TMAX film needs double the bath time in that chemical.

I use an Epson V600 flatbed scanner. If I had the space for a dark room I'd probably enlarge as well.

I'll provide some samples from Kodak TMAX 400 in the Olympus Trip 35. Scratches and dust included.
img20201010_18142137.thumb.jpg.796ee317d860f3db7bb29d4bd299272b.jpg
img20201010_21323065.thumb.jpg.97ef454b2330d6ada4ad3087cc9f406d.jpgKlocka.thumb.jpg.66881b2be7844e739df712c931a01b15.jpg

Thanks for the reply! These look great and are perfect examples of what I am looking to photograph.

I just love B&W.

The Trip 35 was recommended to me but there aren't many for sale in the US.

The Fujica is a zone focus camera as well. Blind focus is a little daunting but it seems pretty straightforward. I also bought a Canonet 28 that has a brilliant little rangefinder patch, so I have options. But the light seals need replacing and I'm waiting on a battery adapter. I'd like to find a selenium metered rangefinder, but the "better" rangefinders seem to have been made in the 70s when selenium was abandoned for battery-powered, cds meters.

I have a few rolls of Kodak Gold color film and T-Max 100. I probably should have bought more Fomapan to start out with but it doesn't matter much.

I love the Acros simulation, so I have a couple rolls in my cart.

Summer has been kinda hectic, so I spent more time researching everything and collecting a couple cameras to get a feel for what I do and don't like. In a couple weeks I'll have more time to go out and shoot some stuff and then I'll sort out the processing.

I'd love to process my own footage but I don't have the space to do it and my GF has some pretty severe allergies, so I couldn't use the chemicals. Caffenol interests me, but I can't afford a scanner right now, so I'll just send the film out for the time being. And for now, I want the process to be as simple as possible. If I could get decent scans from the local pharmacy, I would probably just do that.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:33 AM, mercer said:

To add, I also bought a couple rangefinders and they are a blast. The Olympus XA is a fun little camera. And I just received a Canonet 28 I paid $20 for that's in great shape. I'm still waiting on a battery and the seals need to be replaced, but the Rangefinder patch is brilliant.

Will mention just that - the Olympus XA. Have one and love it, genius touches sparkled everywhere - the clamshell mechanism (that doubles as lens cover and on/off switch), the insanely light shutter button, very good and compact lens, the size. Was more amazed by it than from my newer digtal cameras.

If OM Digital have the idea to make a digital version (once I made a post in other forum saying how it could be done), probably would sell boatloads. Never will happen, though.

Tasty thread. Will have to read it once I got a bit more time. For now, a bit of a recommendation.

I have a few interesting photocams and I love my Olympus 35 RC, my favorite filmcamera I think. Also, I enjoy the Ricoh 500G, which has a cool feature of double exposure. Both are rangefinder cameras with fixed lenses. The Olympus is a gem to hold and touch, a minimalistic design masterpiece. The Ricoh is a joy because of its price, which it's worth many dozen times. Both with F2.8 and fun handling. Both are a bit blocky in hand but somehow feel so right. I had the Oly 35SP, which is supposed to have a lengendary lens. Unfortunately I never enjoyed it much. Ricoh and Oly are both full manual operation. My other dear favorite is the Yashica Elektro 35CC, with a fantastic 35mm 1.8 lens. What a beauty! With film these gems are a pleasure, which is hard to beat.

Scanner, well Pakons used to be dirt cheap on the bay. Now they go for astronomic prices. Super fast and robust handling of negatives. I love my Kodak RFS 2035 film scanner. CCD magic but only 2000dpi for a 135 (35x24mm) negative, which makes 6MPix. 

Using the cameras. In Berlin I have lost my enjoyment in analogue photography due to the Hipster Consumer attitude attached to this beautiful activity. Good thing, I started my passion about it in Berlin as well years. It depends on the people and the surroundings one is attached or accompanied by. So, happy company and shutter therapy!

One more, there many great web1.0 with awesome and fun reads, not the clickbait copycat articles but labour of writing love and photo passion. Unfortunately Flickr is plagued with dull ads now, interrupting browsing and watching pleasure.

5 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Will mention just that - the Olympus XA. Have one and love it, genius touches sparkled everywhere - the clamshell mechanism (that doubles as lens cover and on/off switch), the insanely light shutter button, very good and compact lens, the size. Was more amazed by it than from my newer digtal cameras.

If OM Digital have the idea to make a digital version (once I made a post in other forum saying how it could be done), probably would sell boatloads. Never will happen, though.

I always wondered why they cannot build a "full frame" digi with lens, which is as narrow as a compact film photocamera. Olympus Twin, two lens in on, 35mm and 70mm, narrow, though with a stop or two in light loss between the two focal lengths.

I think film is a great exercise from digital photography and I enjoy the slower process and the space between time photo was taken to development and viewing.

I own three film cameras. For 135 film I use the Nikon FM2 with 50mm f1.4 lens. I vastly prefer the FM3a metering system but the prices are insane for a 35mm camera so I settled for the FM2.

IMG_3710.thumb.jpg.d820ec3777fb582db4d471728494b629.jpg

My second two cameras are for 120 film. I have the 6x6 Yashica-Mat 124G TLR camera. Small and light as far as medium format cameras go and a unique square format and a solid, built-in Yashinon f3.5 lens.

IMG_3708.thumb.jpg.409fcd37a2d83d6384db5ee78184ac2b.jpg

Third, and my favorite medium format camera currently, is my Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Excellent meter, packed with features, 90s nostalgia design. For me, the perfect balance between size, weight, interchangeability and negative size for landscape photography. Love the 645 format: 2.5x larger than 35mm film, 4:3 aspect ratio, with a few more extra shots per roll (15 shots) for bracketing compared to 6x6 (12 shots) or 6x7 (10 shots).

Sekor C 45 & 80mm f/2.8. There is also a 80mm f/1.9 available which I hope to snag. I believe it is one of the fastest medium format lenses made.

IMG_3709.thumb.jpg.2dce2636d224e53629250d6006cad072.jpg

On 8/29/2021 at 5:45 PM, mercer said:

Thanks for the reply! These look great and are perfect examples of what I am looking to photograph.

I just love B&W.

The Trip 35 was recommended to me but there aren't many for sale in the US.

The Fujica is a zone focus camera as well. Blind focus is a little daunting but it seems pretty straightforward. I also bought a Canonet 28 that has a brilliant little rangefinder patch, so I have options. But the light seals need replacing and I'm waiting on a battery adapter. I'd like to find a selenium metered rangefinder, but the "better" rangefinders seem to have been made in the 70s when selenium was abandoned for battery-powered, cds meters.

I have a few rolls of Kodak Gold color film and T-Max 100. I probably should have bought more Fomapan to start out with but it doesn't matter much.

I love the Acros simulation, so I have a couple rolls in my cart.

Summer has been kinda hectic, so I spent more time researching everything and collecting a couple cameras to get a feel for what I do and don't like. In a couple weeks I'll have more time to go out and shoot some stuff and then I'll sort out the processing.

I'd love to process my own footage but I don't have the space to do it and my GF has some pretty severe allergies, so I couldn't use the chemicals. Caffenol interests me, but I can't afford a scanner right now, so I'll just send the film out for the time being. And for now, I want the process to be as simple as possible. If I could get decent scans from the local pharmacy, I would probably just do that.

If you can find one or two cartridges of discontinued 35mm B&W Kodak Technical Pan online, you may want to try it before its gone forever.

This was one of the few films I used to process myself, and was the most amazingly sharp & fine grained 35mm I ever used. It’s image quality looked more like a 2 1/4 neg than 35mm.
Your half frame negs would look as sharp as full frame.

Really disappointed to see it was discontinued by 2005. See a discussion about that here:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/tech-pan-to-be-discontinued.126092/

On 8/31/2021 at 8:21 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I like the XA very much, but I don't know how long I will keep mine for. It's in mint condition and I paid very little for it compared to what they fetch on eBay. I don't know if it's much better, or that smaller than a Canonet to warrant having both.

With that said, it is a remarkable little camera and after I get my test rolls developed, I may end up keeping that to satisfy my analog desires. But you're right, if Olympus, or other brands, would take the XA as a cue, we could have some pretty remarkable little digital cameras. The Sigma FP was a bump in the right direction, but I'd love to see a tiny, FF digital rangefinder. I don't understand why the rangefinder focus patch hasn't been adapted by more mirrorless cameras. It's such a quick and intuitive way to focus. 

On 8/31/2021 at 1:48 PM, PannySVHS said:

I have a few interesting photocams and I love my Olympus 35 RC, my favorite filmcamera I think. Also, I enjoy the Ricoh 500G, which has a cool feature of double exposure. Both are rangefinder cameras with fixed lenses.

The RC was on my short list before I found the dirt cheap Canonet 28. It isn't fully manual like the RC, but it's definitely a fun camera to shoot with. I'll have a look at the Ricoh. Thanks. 

On 8/31/2021 at 3:40 PM, Video Hummus said:

I think film is a great exercise from digital photography and I enjoy the slower process and the space between time photo was taken to development and viewing.

I agree. I am having a lot of fun slowing down and looking for the shot. I think it's instilling some patience in me. The cameras I am using are so small, I end up taking them everywhere. I haven't been searching for photo opportunities, but I have the camera there when one arises. It's a lot different than getting my gear ready to go and shoot some B-Roll or prepare for a shoot day and there is something I really appreciate about that. 

On 8/31/2021 at 3:40 PM, Video Hummus said:

My second two cameras are for 120 film. I have the 6x6 Yashica-Mat 124G TLR camera. Small and light as far as medium format cameras go and a unique square format and a solid, built-in Yashinon f3.5 lens.

After I go through a few rolls and decide on a 135 camera, the Yashica is on my watch list. I just love that square format for photos. 

On 9/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, Jay60p said:

If you can find one or two cartridges of discontinued 35mm B&W Kodak Technical Pan online, you may want to try it before its gone forever.

This was one of the few films I used to process myself, and was the most amazingly sharp & fine grained 35mm I ever used. It’s image quality looked more like a 2 1/4 neg than 35mm.
Your half frame negs would look as sharp as full frame.

Really disappointed to see it was discontinued by 2005. See a discussion about that here:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/tech-pan-to-be-discontinued.126092/

Thanks for this! I looked on eBay and couldn't find any, but I found a seller that spools film and compares the film to Technical Pan. The price is cheap enough that I may give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I shot some BTS photos, while on set as a DIT. Used my GX85, which has become my favorite digital camera body ever since, though GF1 shooting experience is still dear to my heart. Shot with Fuji 12.5 and Angie 75mm both s16 lenses. That Angie has F2.5 but an estimated TStopf of 4 or 4.5. That dirt is giving it some lovely magic and is swallowing a whole lot of light. I was replicating parts of my 135 film days (36x24mm film:) and not checking images all time after a I pressed the shutter. I also shot some portraits with a tungsten theater spot bounced on a dirty Styro. Lovely as heck these on light sources with a neat falloff.

There would be a lot of stories to be told about the places and people we shoot films with or we photograph.

A lot of things to be shared and cherished other than these dull spec lists and AF admiration videos. I hope to share some photos soon and I will insist that the GX85 with a C-mount lens is a perfect friend for 35mm film fans. Right now I am busy and exhausted with obligations that take up a lot of time. cheers and take care for now, Marty

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

This is an interesting camera that is now on Kickstarter.

Takes Canon EF lenses and shoots Fuji Instax Mini film.

Not sure about naming it after Prince Andrew though..

1524094148_ScreenShot2022-10-31at22_46_06.png.77ee0d4f7387229db899ce7ec7259286.png\\

I had to google that! 😆😆😆

Regarding the camera though, I saw this review in my feed - IIRC it's a mixed bag?

Is the film for it expensive?

On 8/31/2021 at 9:40 PM, Video Hummus said:

I own three film cameras. For 135 film I use the Nikon FM2 with 50mm f1.4 lens. I vastly prefer the FM3a metering system but the prices are insane for a 35mm camera so I settled for the FM2.

IMG_3710.thumb.jpg.d820ec3777fb582db4d471728494b629.jpg

IMG_3708.thumb.jpg.409fcd37a2d83d6384db5ee78184ac2b.jpg

Third, and my favorite medium format camera currently, is my Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Excellent meter, packed with features, 90s nostalgia design. For me, the perfect balance between size, weight, interchangeability and negative size for landscape photography. Love the 645 format: 2.5x larger than 35mm film, 4:3 aspect ratio, with a few more extra shots per roll (15 shots) for bracketing compared to 6x6 (12 shots) or 6x7 (10 shots).

Sekor C 45 & 80mm f/2.8. There is also a 80mm f/1.9 available which I hope to snag. I believe it is one of the fastest medium format lenses made.

IMG_3709.thumb.jpg.2dce2636d224e53629250d6006cad072.jpg

That 645… 🤌🏻🤌🏻🤌🏻

Chef’s kiss!!!

super pricey at the moment - all fashion photographers are using it and with good reason.

holla if you wanna sell at some point