A1 footage. Anyone using one?

TheBoogieKnight

Still looking for a B (sometimes A) cam to my Panasonic S1s. Has anyone tested the A1 and compared its footage to the A7SIII or S1/S1H? I really don't want to spend that kind of money but if it's a step up from the SIII then I could probably be swayed (I do a lot of photography too so if I ponied up the extra for the A1 I could sell one of my S1 bodies). Love the image out of my S1s to be honest but want a body with great AF (and 4k 120 would be nice) to be used on a gimbal and the A1 (and 7SIII) seem to tick the required boxes.

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/25/2021 at 5:36 PM, TheBoogieKnight said:

Still looking for a B (sometimes A) cam to my Panasonic S1s. Has anyone tested the A1 and compared its footage to the A7SIII or S1/S1H? I really don't want to spend that kind of money but if it's a step up from the SIII then I could probably be swayed (I do a lot of photography too so if I ponied up the extra for the A1 I could sell one of my S1 bodies). Love the image out of my S1s to be honest but want a body with great AF (and 4k 120 would be nice) to be used on a gimbal and the A1 (and 7SIII) seem to tick the required boxes.

Cheers

Gerald Undone tested some of this and Gordon Lang has some test chart shots comparing A7Siii, A1, and R5.

On 8/28/2021 at 2:01 AM, macnerd said:

I had the a7s3 and now own the A1 and so far I think the a7s3 image is sharper straight out the box. When I had the a7s3 I used zeiss 25mm an now I'm using the sony 24mm on the A1

The A1 8k is less sharp than the A7S3 4K?

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

8K from A1 is much better.

From what I've seen, the 4K out of the A1 is very similar to the 4K out of the A7SIII even though the A1 is pixel-binning in 4K. Noise performance is also surprisingly good with very little difference between the two. It's pretty much does everything the A7SIII does but also has 8K and has a 5.8K oversampled S35 mode.

Perhaps the only downside is aggressive noise reduction and the price.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, TheBoogieKnight said:

Thank you. Have you noticed any difference at all in AF performance between the 2?

DEFINITELY, the sony 24mm just locks on the subject instantly and never loses focus until the subject isnt in frame whilst the zeiss 25mm is good but it loses focus here and there, its still good but nothing like the sony. The zeiss image just looks better tbh

7 hours ago, macnerd said:

i haven't tested the 8k yet but 4k for 4k I found the a7s3 to be way sharper, to the point my clients knew I changed camera when I sent them raw footage

Did you apply sharpening in post to match the two?

I've found that you can do some pretty horrific things that make footage softer but sharpening in post can compensate to the point where you can't distinguish in a blind test.

Not much point in paying hundreds / thousands more for "sharper" equipment if the same thing can be done in post with one slider....

14 hours ago, macnerd said:

i haven't tested the 8k yet but 4k for 4k I found the a7s3 to be way sharper, to the point my clients knew I changed camera when I sent them raw footage

That's not a particularly good sign for the 4K on the a1 then. 

Generally, the 24MP Sony cameras that downsample from 6K in camera to 4K have had sharper 4K then the a7S 12MP sensors. Even the aps-c Sony bodies with 24MP sensors have had sharper 4K than the full-frame a7S bodies. 

On 8/31/2021 at 2:44 AM, kye said:

Did you apply sharpening in post to match the two?

I've found that you can do some pretty horrific things that make footage softer but sharpening in post can compensate to the point where you can't distinguish in a blind test.

Not much point in paying hundreds / thousands more for "sharper" equipment if the same thing can be done in post with one slider....

no sharpening applied

On 8/31/2021 at 9:41 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

That's not a particularly good sign for the 4K on the a1 then. 

Generally, the 24MP Sony cameras that downsample from 6K in camera to 4K have had sharper 4K then the a7S 12MP sensors. Even the aps-c Sony bodies with 24MP sensors have had sharper 4K than the full-frame a7S bodies. 

Why does softer = worse?

On 8/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, TomTheDP said:

Yes, no sharpening, so it appears less sharp, but it also has way more detail and especially texture, since the noise reduction nearly isn't as destructive as on the A7sIII.
A way superior image basically, closer to the Panasonic S5, Blackmagic Pocket 6K etc.

5 hours ago, deezid said:

Yes, no sharpening, so it appears less sharp, but it also has way more detail and especially texture, since the noise reduction nearly isn't as destructive as on the A7sIII.
A way superior image basically, closer to the Panasonic S5, Blackmagic Pocket 6K etc.

What about the 4k? I realise people said it's less sharp but overall image compared to the SIII? Does it have an advantage in less aggressive NR etc.?