Question Re: Positive Locking Adapters (Mainly Canon EF -> M4/3)

M_Williams

Hi,

"First time" user here. I used to read this site and engage on the forum many years ago but I stopped checking in to all the usual photo/cinema sites for a while, or at least not as frequently. I didn't remember my old account, hence "first time" user.

I remember years back Andrew posting about a positive locking adapter for Canon EF to, well, tons of mounts. Sony, M4/3, etc.

That was the c7adapters EF to MFT positive lock adapter (https://c7adapters.com/en/product/ef_mount_-_micro_4_3/43). Now they support tons of other mounts (to be expected given what's changed since he posted about it). Fuji X & GFX, Nikon Z, Canon RF, Kinefinity, RED Komodo, etc etc.

Anyway, I thought it might be beneficial to mention that for those who don't know about this since its been a while since he talked about it.

My question though:

Actually I have two.

1) I'm looking for an EF to M4/3 adapter just like this, and this one is great and will work. But I wanted to know if there are any others out there that anyone knows of to look at as well. Metabones Cine Speedboosters have the same kind of lock, but they don't have a straight cine adapter without the speedbooster part. So, if anyone knows of any aside from c7adapters and the Metabones, I'd really appreciate the info!

2) The reason I'm looking for this is obviously partially because positive locks are much stronger and don't allow for any play between the lens and the mount. But, two, I'm especially looking for an EF to MFT adapter because the M4/3 mount is often not of sufficiently precise and tight tolerance or strength for cinema use. My Pocket 4K has a small amount of play when you mount a lens of any decent size (I primarily use SLR Magic's Microprimes - the m4/3 versions, on that body anyway). They're not huge but the play is there and it can be problematic pulling focus - plus I'd rather have some more strength their for when I use a lens like the DZOFilm Linglung 20-70 T2.9 on the camera - or when I use adapted EF lenses like my cine-modded Contax Zeiss lenses or full-frame SLR Magic APO Microprimes.

So what the hell am I talking about you're obviously wondering. Does anyone know of anything kind of like a positive lock adapter (I guess you'd call it that) for the mount of a camera's body? Like a support adapter that fits around the mount to take some weight off the actual mount and keep the lens/mount play at a minimum. Take the Z Cam E2 S6, E2 F6, and E2 F8. All of those have interchangeable mounts, with options for PL, EF, and M4/3. (photo below of the Z Cam M4/3 Active Lock Mount). And actually if you choose the Z Cam E2 S6 in M4/3 mount, you get the camera with both EF and M4/3 mounts (since M4/3 mount can support S35 sensors, contrary to popular belief). You basically get this $100 adapter for free, which is cool.

1014318178__zcamMFTactivelock.jpg.e948240c62ba3f5b8d20adcc247c3c26.jpg

I understand, obviously, that this is something that's swapped out on these cameras. But the idea of what I want is the same - a camera mount that has an active lock like that... except a third-party add-on. Ideally, I'd have the EF -> M4/3 Positive Lock Adapter and mount it to an active (or positive, whatever) locking mount on the camera (such as I could with the Z Cam). The next best thing would be an adapter around the lens mount that serves functionally the same purpose.

I'm assuming there's nothing like this out-there, which means I have a new project - bring on the 3D printing and CNC machining!

I'd prefer if someone does sell something like that already, though.

Thanks for any help you can offer with either of these questions and I hope everyone has a nice week and stays cool. Now I'm going to read some threads here....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If I've properly understood what you're looking for, Wooden Camera make lens adapter supports that screw on to their top plates, hang down and clamp to the adapter, taking all the strain off the mount and keeping the adapter firmly in place. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, they only make these for some Sony cameras - but you might be able to bodge something together.

I found what you're talking about - they made for the FS5 and FS7. Yeah I mean that's not precisely what I mean but it does serve the same ultimate goal. So yeah, even something not quite like what I'm thinking but still gets the job done.... doesn't matter. Though I think it would be very cool to make what I'm thinking of, but I'd have to draw up diagrams and pictures because it's hard to explain. I doubt anyone makes anything like it.

But if there are similar options to this Wooden Camera support.... I can't use it like you said because its for different cameras. But anything like that.

Ultimately I will probably end up just coming up with something myself because I doubt anything exists. But thanks for that, that gives me some goods ideas for something that might be easy to rig.

Oh.... also the c7adapter that I linked to and mentioned.... it does have a foot with a 1/4" and 3/8" threaded holes, so you could easily fasten it down to something to provide a similar level of support. It would just be nice to have something that could be use on the mount all the time, with native MFT lenses. Just like the Z Cam MFT mount.

But anyway, if anyone knows other places with EF -> MFT locking adapters, please let me know!