Video Autofocus for EOS R/5/6

Linakesh

Hey there, does anyone have any experience with video autofocus on the EOS R with both native and adapted EF lenses? Three years ago, you wouldn't have caught me dead using AF with video work, but using AF with my Sony A7III along with both Sony and Sigma E-mount lenses has been a great experience for situations like interviews, speeches, and gimbal work. I like that the focus pulls smoothly and looks like a manual focus roll https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/ (as opposed to super fast and jittery). How does DPAF compare on Canon cameras? I'm assuming it's probably really smooth on the expensive RF lenses, but what about EF lenses with an adapter? I know they're supposed to work no problem for stills AF, but haven't seen many tests for video AF tracking.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Works flawlessly on adapted lenses. Focus pulls are a bit more aggressively and in some cases are a bit more jittery and less reliable on lenses with motors that weren’t really designed for video autofocus (I’m thinking of the Sigma Art 85 specifically) but it’s still totally acceptable and usable in my experience. 

The performance with EF lenses varies a bit from lens to lens. The EF 40mm 2.8 STM focus fast and smooth with little to no noise. Not very surprising since it's a tiny lens with modern autofocus.

The EF 50mm 1.2 has been surprisingly smooth, but makes a lot of noise. On camera microphones will definitely pick it up, and maybe even boom mics. The EF 85mm 1.2 is a bit similar, but worse. The 85mm 1.8 has been the most jerky lens I have tried.

I just got my first RF lens yesterday, the RF 100mm 2.8 macro, and it seems to be on a whole other level. I can hardy hear it, and it seems very smooth, however, I haven't had much time to use it yet and it's a bit early for a final verdict. I did try the RF 50mm 1.2 in the store and found it much louder and more jerky than my 100mm, so even among RF lenses there might be good and bad models.

Learning to use AF well also takes some practice. I have assigned the M-Fn button to turning AF on and off. That way I can avoid all AF hunting when I want the focus to stay put. Focus pulling by using touch to focus also takes so practice, and I can't say I've perfected it yet.

• 7 months later...