Dual Slot Video Recording Comes to the Canon R5 - FINALLY

herein2020

This one truly caught me by surprise, the latest Canon R5 firmware adds dual slot video recording for everything except the RAW formats which makes sense. I had given up hope of ever seeing this on anything short of the C70 and if I'm not mistaken this is the first time Canon has ever provided this feature on anything that was not considered a Cinema camera. Maybe the 1DC did this but I'm not sure.

Other than the whole overheating fiasco which will never go away, and the fact that it looks like the R5 will never support an XLR module, the R5's latest firmware just checked another box for me. If the R3 releases with dual slot video recording and the TASCAM XLR module is available when the R3 launches or if they release a video focused version of the R5....I might actually consider going back to Canon for video.

Full Firmware Release Notes

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-r5.html?type=firmware&firmwaredetailid=tcm:14-2132234&os=windows 10 (64-bit)&language=

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do people aside from wedding shooters use dual recording in reality? It seems to be a non-issue with cinema cameras but a life-or-death thing for mirrorless. I know it's possible to hypothesise more situations where you might need it, but I'm asking if people actually do it for their work.

My question is how much of this is spec hunting rather than actual need. I have always bought good cards though, so perhaps a lot of it is people who have bought cheap cards in the past and had them fail.

I do think you're right though that the XLR module for the R3 onwards is a good sign that Canon are accepting to the fact some people want a proper hybrid camera. If the R5C with a fan turns out to be real then I think that's a cool package for a compact full frame camera with and EVF and IBIS. I've got a C70 but I would probably never take it with me for non-work occasions.

9 hours ago, mrtreve said:

Do people aside from wedding shooters use dual recording in reality? It seems to be a non-issue with cinema cameras but a life-or-death thing for mirrorless. I know it's possible to hypothesise more situations where you might need it, but I'm asking if people actually do it for their work.

My question is how much of this is spec hunting rather than actual need. I have always bought good cards though, so perhaps a lot of it is people who have bought cheap cards in the past and had them fail.

I do think you're right though that the XLR module for the R3 onwards is a good sign that Canon are accepting to the fact some people want a proper hybrid camera. If the R5C with a fan turns out to be real then I think that's a cool package for a compact full frame camera with and EVF and IBIS. I've got a C70 but I would probably never take it with me for non-work occasions.

I shoot everything from music videos to corporate work and always use this feature including in my C200. I also buy nothing but SanDisk Extreme cards and have never had one fail. But I have had a card reader go bad and corrupt two cards in the ~15yrs I've been shooting. 

I use this feature in all of my cameras except the drones and that's only because they don't offer it. It doesn't seem important until that one time you have a failure. I have never met a photographer who did not use this feature when their camera had two slots and a lot of the mirrorless shooters come from the photography world where it is commonplace.

Wedding photographers and videographers definitely use this religiously because all it takes is one upset bride to post all over social media that you lost her footage for your business to tank.  To me this particular feature is as far from spec hunting as it gets; if your entire business could be affected by a single feature then yes...its pretty high on your list of must haves.