Ursa Mini 4.6k or Pocket 6k?

And1

I have found a good deal, to buy the original Ursa Mini 4.6k (non-pro), with Ursa shoulder mount, ssd mount, battery, etc for 1700$. Everything barely used. I already have a BMMCC and consider keeping it as a B-cam. 

My question is, does it worth it to buy the Ursa Mini 4.6k package or go for a used Pocket 6k (will cost a bit more)? What are your opinions? 

I mainly use my gear for narratives and fashion films. 

All this modern gear acquisition syndrome thing has me thinking a lot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/20/2021 at 12:16 AM, And1 said:

I have found a good deal, to buy the original Ursa Mini 4.6k (non-pro), with Ursa shoulder mount, ssd mount, battery, etc for 1700$. Everything barely used. I already have a BMMCC and consider keeping it as a B-cam. 

My question is, does it worth it to buy the Ursa Mini 4.6k package or go for a used Pocket 6k (will cost a bit more)? What are your opinions? 

I mainly use my gear for narratives and fashion films. 

All this modern gear acquisition syndrome thing has me thinking a lot.

Any advice?

21 hours ago, And1 said:

Any advice?

Seems like most people don't visit the sub forums, you might get more responses in the main forum. Without having used either camera, and assuming you're sure it doesn't have anything wrong with it at that price, here's my two cents.

It would all come down to how controlled a setting you typically shoot in, and how big your crew is. That's a large camera, meaning support equipment also needs to be sturdier--tripod, gimbal, crane, car mounts, etc. It'll go through more batteries and storage. If in a studio, it may not be a problem, but on a 10 hour location shoot that's a lot of extra stuff to bring, compared to a BMMCC. Those 4.6k sensors aren't known for being great in low light, so you'll also perhaps need more/bigger lights.

So if it already matches your production style, than that's a great deal to jump on. However, if you're one-man-banding it on location, consider how it might affect your workflow.

Thank you for the reply,

I'm mostly one man crew. Never use gimbal, rarely a tripod and much more prefer handheld. I never shoot interviews or events, just narrative and fashion. Low light is something I also think about, but a Sigma 18-35mm I thought would be enough in decent light (if I were to go with the 4.6k). 

To me, size, low light performance and B-Raw are the pros of the bmpcc4k, but for narratives especially, having not used either, I believe the Ursa could be better suited (maybe)

Before getting too far talking about ergonomics, I find that most cameras in the price range have fantastic image quality, so to me that isn't a major consideration. No doubt the images from this camera are phenomenal.

I shoot almost exclusively narrative, typically with a crew of 1-4 people.

The big issue for me is that this is a 5 lb camera that is 8" long. It wouldn't hamper every shoot, but I've been in situations where that camera wouldn't fit, or would have been wearying to carry for an entire day. I did a comparison between an NX1 and a C100 on a few shoots, and found that for every scenario, the NX1 was simply easier to use, and the C100 is only 3 lbs. All that is to say that an Ursa Mini is not my ideal camera shape.

I can't comment much on low light not having used it, but on some night shoots I'll be pushing my ISO way up even at f1.4. So anything with a fixed 1600 (which is really 800 pushed a stop digitally) would be lacking in some situations.

I do think that I would rather get a P6K than an Ursa Mini 4.6k even for its new price of $2k. But that's just my opinion as someone who hasn't used either one, would be nice if some owners chimed in as well.

• 5 months later...