Blackmagic Cinema Camera's sensor has global shutter, made by BAE Systems?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/bae-scmos.jpg[/img]

Made in California – there’s a sensor that perfectly matches the specification of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera on the market. It is called the BAE Systems sCMOS (designed by silicon valley semiconductors company Fairchild Imaging who were [url="http://www.fairchildimaging.com/news/2011/BAE%20Systems%20Completes%20Acquisition%20of%20Fairchild%20Imaging.htm"]acquired[/url] by BAE in 2011).

It is capable of up to 100fps at 2.5K and features a global shutter, a sensor so powerful it is vacuum cooled.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7969/blackmagic-cinema-cameras-sensor-has-global-shutter-made-by-bae-systems/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
CIS1021 produced this year is just little brother of  CIS2051 (basically crop factor @1080p) they share same technology ...looks like that BMD guys decide to go cutting edge in all aspects of this camera ...
very exiting....
PS:its not 42db ,SNR and pixel dynamic range db are not same thing (42db DR would mean less than 7 stops ,someone did bad calculation)
its 88db of dynamic range...

I wonder how much more expensive "significantly more expensive" might be? I think they were smart to hit the $3k price range, but i'd hold out for a $5-6k version if it included the high frame rates and maybe some other features we're missing. All they gotta do is say one is on the way, and i'm in!

If its got 88db of dynamic range that's over 14.5 stops.

Maybe they have access to the sensor coming out later this year and 13 stops is conservative. Often claims can be over exaggerated though. Maybe it is 42db with much noise reduction applied to cheat it to 13 stops.

Hmm getting confused now.

this SENSOR is not 42 db ...
TC made wrong calculation ...
he count pixel dynamic range db as SNR ....
and there is difference between sensor db dynamic range and usable DR ...
first redone was 66db(11.3) usable about 9.5 ... ikonoskop kodak sensor is rated 64db but usable  9....
if this sensor is 88db then we can expect around 13 depends how its tweaked ....

[quote author=5DGH link=topic=625.msg4589#msg4589 date=1335213546]
"a sensor so powerful it is vacuum cooled."

Speechless...because it's such a nonsense.
[/quote]

It has so much vacuum in its cooling system as the device called vacuum cleaner does)

Try to relax and have a flexible mind.

[quote author=rommex link=topic=625.msg4602#msg4602 date=1335252574]
[quote author=5DGH link=topic=625.msg4589#msg4589 date=1335213546]
"a sensor so powerful it is vacuum cooled."

Speechless...because it's such a nonsense.
[/quote]

It has so much vacuum in its cooling system as the device called vacuum cleaner does)

Try to relax and have a flexible mind.
[/quote]

Lawl so when they say "vacuum cooled" they mean cooled by an indirect fan that creates a low pressure "vacuum" which moves air over the sensor? Comeon just call it fan cooled.

Everything from the interviews Blackmagic has given to shots of the camera's display screen indicates that it does use a rolling shutter. But the specs of their sensor are indeed uncomfortably close to that super-duper-sensor that's been bandied about on the internet. I'm guessing using a global shutter cuts too much into the image quality, that or it is a cheaper sensor from the same manufacturer. It would be nice if the Blackmagic would have at least an option in the future to offer a global shutter mode; in fact there are lots of things that would be neat to offer in their firmware (I wonder how hackable the thing will be?).

The camera is seriously intriguing, I need one about as much as I need a hole in my head but there is just that something to it. I'm guessing it will be a bigger hit with the general public than many are thinking, it's within the budget of the so-called "soccer-mom" crowd and people often like to look for excuses to go out and buy a new state-of-the-art computer. How long do you think it will take for iMovie to support this camera? (oh sorry, FCP X already does, never mind :-P)