Atomos Ninja V+ 5.2" 8K HDMI H.265 Raw Recording Monitor

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/6/2021 at 4:25 AM, Emanuel said:

https://www.atomos.com/products/ninja-v-plus

Anyone using it?

Any R5 shooters over there?

I'll bite. I can shoot 12bit 8K DCI RAW internally with my R5. Why do I need this? And, no, I do not experience overheating problems (though I have to be mindful). And, right now one cannot record 8K on the Ninja V+ with the R5. There still needs to be a firmware update. So, no one can report the advantages, if any.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Super Members
46 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Ninja V+ is $999 for all nov

I suspect that what the Nikon Z9 is offering in terms of what can be recorded internally is very concerning for Atomos.

Not in terms of the Z9 itself, as its still quite a niche camera, but as an indicator of the direction of travel.

Now that the genie is out of the bottle in terms of a manufacturer incorporating ProRes and ProRes RAW internally, it will be difficult for the others not to follow suit and that places Atomos on a bit of a sticky wicket at least in the Ninja V+ territory.

Obviously, there is a lot more to the product in terms of the monitoring options it provides but there are other solutions for that who's price isn't inflated by requiring the recording capability and these are also a lot less demanding in terms of power.

Hopefully it will nudge them to produce the 4K ProRes/ProResRAW version of the Ninja Star that they have inexplicably resisted producing !

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Hopefully it will nudge them to produce the 4K ProRes/ProResRAW version of the Ninja Star that they have inexplicably resisted producing !

I really hope this happens, but I feel like it's against the point you made just above. If the direction is cameras having internal ProRes / PRraw - why would you need a Ninja Star?

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I really hope this happens, but I feel like it's against the point you made just above. If the direction is cameras having internal ProRes / PRraw - why would you need a Ninja Star?

For all of the cameras that have been produced before this new revolution that would benefit from it.

Having the external ProRes RAW option on my Sigma FP, for example, is great but I don't want to have a Ninja V attached to it as it defeats the camera's biggest strength.

Being able to add non RAW versions of ProRes to things like my Leica SL which does 10 bit external would also be a boon, again without having to add the big screen.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Having the external ProRes RAW option on my Sigma FP, for example, is great but I don't want to have a Ninja V attached to it as it defeats the camera's biggest strength.

Good point! Personally, I'm hoping BMD release a way to convert the DNG from the FP into Braw in post. They already know all the info to do it, and recording Braw with a VA is awesome. But yes, it means adding a screen that's bigger than the camera.

That said, I don't think there's anything in it for BMD to actually do that, which is a shame.

After looking around for good monitors, atomos is basically the cheapest for a "pro" monitor with decent screen. The small hd stuff is at least 50% more without recording. The rest of the low end has crap screens.

So I don't think it's the end of the world for them as they have the medium end of the market cornered.

I just upgraded from ninja inferno to shogun 7, and both of those are way better than the feelworld lut 7 pro and desview r5 I also have. Those monitors look like garbage in comparison.