Sneak preview - 5D Mark III Zeroed AA Filter - First footage for download

Andrew Reid

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=621.msg4541#msg4541 date=1335130394]
[quote author=jlev23 link=topic=621.msg4522#msg4522 date=1335106123]
sorry that you misunderstand, i was saying that in relation to the footage you are posting, its looking and feeling more like gh2 now, so being worried that if i do that to my 5DMK3 it would also stick out like a sore thumb.
and yes the pyramids do exist, ive seen them on a history channel documentary :)
[/quote]

Gaussian blur it then.
[/quote]
so i should take my whole camera apart, operate on it, get IR filters for all my lenses, then gaussian blur it in post, got it :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No moire, no aliasing? well prove it! I want to see a video of you pointing it directly at an LCD monitor with the focus critically sharp so you can see the pixels.

Why don't people do this, it's the easiest and more sure-fire way to introduce moire, everybody always running around looking for brick walls to shoot and then declare it not a problem.  Should be like the default controlled test.

By the way has anybody ran any of the Flaat picture styles with the new Mark III? I'd love to see if it pulls out more dynamic range than the Mark II

People like to hang to those packaged theories about Japan as a static traditional society, it reassure them.
[/quote]

Well. I would say that by having direct knowledge of Sony's corporate culture [b]they are not far away to the reality[/b]. But... this to me applies to Sony and the [b]error here is judging an entire society as a whole[/b]. Look at Toyota and you find huge investments on Hybrid cars that are going to get disruptive soon.

On the other side of the ocean the [b]US car industry has been quiet an example of "Stuck on incremental[/b], not disruptive innovation" and in the same time totally loosing the product quality and US is supposed to be a much more dynamic society... We could talk about Motorola, HP, Kodak, IBM etc...  In Europe there so many examples including Nokia etc...

So... to me Canon is really treating the lower part of the digital film market in very conservative way as did Sony and I bet that they will be obliged to react to avoid loosing a lot of customers like me and many on this forum

[quote]this to me applies to Sony and the error here is judging an entire society as a whole. Look at Toyota and you find huge investments on Hybrid cars that are going to get disruptive soon.[/quote]

My point exactly  ;)

As you mentioned later, many big companies had (or still have) the same conservative approach and it is just a matter of time before Canon will be forced to change tactics.

The problem (for us) is that they still make boatloads of money in consumer and pro markets, so it might take a while :'(

[quote author=Giovanni Bertani link=topic=621.msg4557#msg4557 date=1335166969]

People like to hang to those packaged theories about Japan as a static traditional society, it reassure them.

Well. I would say that by having direct knowledge of Sony's corporate culture [b]they are not far away to the reality[/b]. But... this to me applies to Sony and the [b]error here is judging an entire society as a whole[/b]. Look at Toyota and you find huge investments on Hybrid cars that are going to get disruptive soon.

On the other side of the ocean the [b]US car industry has been quiet an example of "Stuck on incremental[/b], not disruptive innovation" and in the same time totally loosing the product quality and US is supposed to be a much more dynamic society... We could talk about Motorola, HP, Kodak, IBM etc...  In Europe there so many examples including Nokia etc...

So... to me Canon is really treating the lower part of the digital film market in very conservative way as did Sony and I bet that they will be obliged to react to avoid loosing a lot of customers like me and many on this forum
[/quote]

100% agree with you

Canon are obviously crippling the video side of these cameras, but then again these are not video cameras.
Still, if the hardware is capable of more, they'll eventually have to give in, unfortunately they might not do so until everybody else does. It's the underdogs like BMD that will eventually change this mentality.

There's now some rumors of new video features being added to the 7D via a firmware update. Still hard to believe, but I think that would be a great move from Canon that would 'resurrect' a camera that was never used to its full potential. Even as a paid upgrade, it would make a lot of sense, if they could add manual audio control, some peaking tools and 5D3's new codecs, it would totally be worth paying for an upgrade.
At the moment they have nothing else on this price range, and unless they have a new 7D ready to announce, I don't see many people buying 7Ds at this time, so a move like this, if done right, could be really smart.

The 7D features 2 processors and yet it doesn't do anything that the Rebels don't on the video side, it's obviously capable of much more, and Canon know this, that's why they protected its firmware so much better than on other cameras so that Magic Lantern couldn't work their magic on it.

Let's hope for a change in their philosophy, but in the end, we're a minority, and no matter how much better and cheaper BMD or other companies' cameras are, there will still be way more people buying Canon cameras for taking pictures of their holidays, etc...

The downloadable file is not as I expected the raw .MOV file off the camera but as I see from running exiftool it's been processed by Premiere Pro. The only part of this static frame actually in focus is a small portion over on the left. There is a pronounced pink/red colour cast. Apart from the colour cast it looks no different than I would expect from any 5D3 or 5D2 in bright sunshine. If it's meant to demonstrate improved resolution it's a very poor example.

[quote author=evil_thought2 link=topic=621.msg4890#msg4890 date=1335772052]
well, what happened to 5d3, gh2, and fs100 comparison that you were going to post?
[/quote]The exercise would be pointless as removing the OLPF does not improve resolution of the 5D3. Barry Green's analysis of resolution charts shows no extra resolution just false detail i.e. aliasing which is what you would expect from removing an antialiasing filter. It actually screws up the camera even more by adding a pink/red cast to the image from IR pollution.

Here is a link to the analysis http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?278918-Canon-5d-mark-iii-improved-olpf-removed-for-higher-resolution&p=1986135028&viewfull=1#post1986135028

Presumably those who damaged their cameras by removing the OLPF are either keeping quiet because they are embarrassed to have been fooled or desperately trying to fit the OLPF back into the camera :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
[quote author=peppebadala link=topic=621.msg5178#msg5178 date=1336687871]
Hey man... did the same modification to my mk III
what settings did you use on your picture profile... i am using technicolor...
waht do you reccomend... still had sharpness +1 even without the filter but the image looks a bit funky...

a bit too electric
[/quote]

You're brave. Salut!

I have sharpness at zero now. You don't need to boost it, especially not in-cam.

• Administrators
[quote author=peppebadala link=topic=621.msg5190#msg5190 date=1336690458]
:D loving the results... nothing to loose... only the will of not doing it! bodies come and go, machines should serve men we cant have them in altar
[/quote]

Let us know how it goes / went and any tips you can pass on, we'll be eternally grateful for. After the initial op mine is staying shut for the time being, although I feel my focus is a bit off with the Samyang 24mm... I'll have to tune it up again sooner or later.

yeah... i got my IR filter a little dirty in the procedure, so i took it to canon here in Guatemala, the autofocus wasnt working so the technician got everything back in to place, cleaned the sensor, cleaned the contacts...

autofocus is working, focus is in the right place... only the auto cleaning problem, so i turned it off

ive been working only with the 24 - 105 L f4 and the 70 - 200 L f4 ... focus in 24mm is perfect...

have many people done this? i will be posting some footage soon...

resolution does improve... i still dont know why people are saying it doesnt...

• Administrators
[quote author=peppebadala link=topic=621.msg5202#msg5202 date=1336700183]
yeah... i got my IR filter a little dirty in the procedure, so i took it to canon here in Guatemala, the autofocus wasnt working so the technician got everything back in to place, cleaned the sensor, cleaned the contacts...

autofocus is working, focus is in the right place... only the auto cleaning problem, so i turned it off

ive been working only with the 24 - 105 L f4 and the 70 - 200 L f4 ... focus in 24mm is perfect...

have many people done this? i will be posting some footage soon...

resolution does improve... i still dont know why people are saying it doesnt...
[/quote]

Interesting that you got Canon to get it all back into place, etc. What did they charge?

about 150 dollars...  the guy was ver nice... he only said "you took something off this camera?" the mk iii hasnt even gotten to Guatemala yet... if you get cameras here its super expensive, the mk ii is about 5,500 dollars...  i get my stuff from the states...

but you know what andre if you take it to a canon service center and say i am in a hurry please check whats wrong with this or clean the sensor or something, they will do it... i am shooting a documentary, so basically i told the guy i needed it by yesterday. they cant turn your back on you just because you decided to take off something from the camera  8) they guy was so nice that he took some pictures of my "wrong procedure"... take it to canon it will be allright

• Administrators
[quote author=jcs link=topic=621.msg4547#msg4547 date=1335138684]
Bill DePalma removed both OLPFs and had the glass replaced and dust system replicated (via Maxmax.com): https://vimeo.com/40789276

Andrew- you removed only one OLPF and did not add replacement glass (nor re-attached the dust system)? Still curious if the software changes behavior with the dust system connector removed.
[/quote]

This video has been deleted. Anyone know why? And does anyone have a copy?

By the way I was forwarded emails by a reader from MaxMax's president Dan. I hope their AA-filter removal service is better than his reasoning behind removing it to improve video quality, because nothing in the email made sense - at least to me. Maybe MaxMax can clarify what service they can offer us video guys who just want a sharper image without the AA-Filter. Moire isn't a problem any more (at least on the 5D Mark III). He was going on about blurring the image!

We do need a service to do this op, it was very risky of me to do a DIY job on the camera and I don't recommend it. Find a company to do it instead. Most ones that convert DSLRs to astro-photography cameras (i.e taking out the IR-cut filter) should do it.

• Administrators
[quote author=peppebadala link=topic=621.msg5227#msg5227 date=1336750275]
about 150 dollars...  the guy was ver nice... he only said "you took something off this camera?" the mk iii hasnt even gotten to Guatemala yet... if you get cameras here its super expensive, the mk ii is about 5,500 dollars...  i get my stuff from the states...

but you know what andre if you take it to a canon service center and say i am in a hurry please check whats wrong with this or clean the sensor or something, they will do it... i am shooting a documentary, so basically i told the guy i needed it by yesterday. they cant turn your back on you just because you decided to take off something from the camera  8) they guy was so nice that he took some pictures of my "wrong procedure"... take it to canon it will be allright
[/quote]

This is really good service by Canon. $150 USD to perfectly align the sensor and build it back up. I would have expected that to be a lot more. If anyone can get in touch with Canon service centres near you, do feel free to share your experience / quote prices, etc.

sure thing....

listen i have a question i know it doesn't belong to this topic, but waht kind of cards are you suing for ALL-I , is normal class 10 ok? the thing is that i  ve seen the footage in FCP and says the bitrate is like 5mbs... shouldn't it say 90?

just wondering... thanx man.