Sneak preview - 5D Mark III Zeroed AA Filter - First footage for download

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

Here is a sneak preview of whats to come. Please be sure to download the 50Mbit constant bitrate clip rather than judging it from the highly compressed Vimeo stream.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7964/sneak-preview-5d-mark-iii-zeroed-aa-filter-first-footage-for-download/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know, maybe you should of shot a nicely lit interior. what you showed looks like overly sharp news footage, like how the GH2 reacts to exteriors. i much prefer a slight softness and cinematic gradation from highlights, like the quality the alexa and the 5DMK3 both have. almost looks like you shot it at 30fps with a 1/60 of a shutter or something.
i just did a shoot with the alexa, 5DMK3 and a GH2. the GH2 stuck out like a sore thumb, the alexa and 5D were almost a match without any post being done. i guess it all depends what you are using the camera for, but id sure hate to have to shoot through IR filters all the time!

• Administrators
Geeez some people are never happy. $600 camera sticks out vs $50,000 one? Wow what great detective work you've done there, please email me as I have an assignment for you to find the mythical pyramids of Egypt. Do they exist?

Thanks for risking your camera for the community. You got balls!

I was wondering if you could just replace the removed OLP filter with an IR-cut filter INTERNALLY. Just swap between the two, that way you won't need an additional external filter on the lens.

This is a great work around. Thanks for taking this risk. But at this point, I think I'm just going to go the Sony route. Too many work around to make the 5D3 worth while, and that's also hoping that Magic Lantern will work :(

Yes, Canon SUCKS big time. On the plus side, the D-800 have received much better overall reviews that the 5D3 and is selling a lot better because of it. Sony video is about to destroy Canon's over-priced, under spec'd video offerings. So maybe Canon will finally get the much needed wake up call.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=621.msg4519#msg4519 date=1335104748]
Geeez some people are never happy. $600 camera sticks out vs $50,000 one? Wow what great detective work you've done there, please email me as I have an assignment for you to find the mythical pyramids of Egypt. Do they exist?
[/quote]
sorry that you misunderstand, i was saying that in relation to the footage you are posting, its looking and feeling more like gh2 now, so being worried that if i do that to my 5DMK3 it would also stick out like a sore thumb.
and yes the pyramids do exist, ive seen them on a history channel documentary :)

CANON  is testing brand loyalty to the max ....
they use all that free marketing delivered by DSLR users to sell their products for crazy high prices...
and of course they fail same as SONY did..... but thats good ,after that they gives as what we want for reasonable
price....

That looks awesome Andrew !!!
I am so glad you are going to do a side by side comparison. When you do your AA VS NoAA test, please tell us how it changes on the still photography side as well. More details? more dynamic range? etc... 
I can't wait. :) Thanks again Andrew.

[quote][size=14pt]This video cannot be downloaded anymore today.[/size] [/quote]  :P

Anyway, Andrew thanks for this experimaent.

BTW, did you notice any effective increase in ISO without the filter? It should have been in place, I believe.

Since I also don't believe Canon will release any firmware upgrade to enhance output quality of video, I guess my best move would be selling my 7D right away, picking up a second-hand 550D and smashing it with Magic Lantern to the fullest, meanwhile waiting for the BMD camera.

BMD cinema camera seems overwhelming in terms of specs / cost ratio. Though I'm worried by some skin rendering artifacts shown here:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/another-blackmagic-clip/

(look at neck and shoulder of the lady). I guess 'a mere capturing device' might take some more than a sensor and a lens mount. Hope they will handle it.

• Administrators
[quote author=smon222 link=topic=621.msg4525#msg4525 date=1335108129]
BTW... Thanks Andrew for the nice gratuitous butt shot walking through the frame. Enjoyed it! ;-)
[/quote]

I am glad someone noticed this  8)

• Administrators
[quote author=jlev23 link=topic=621.msg4522#msg4522 date=1335106123]
sorry that you misunderstand, i was saying that in relation to the footage you are posting, its looking and feeling more like gh2 now, so being worried that if i do that to my 5DMK3 it would also stick out like a sore thumb.
and yes the pyramids do exist, ive seen them on a history channel documentary :)
[/quote]

Gaussian blur it then.

Something from CNET written quiet exactly on the culture behind Canon 5D Mk3

Sony's slow but sure descent is also about Japan's obsession with doing things the Japanese way, even if it's the wrong way, says CNET's Brooke Crothers.

[url=http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57414373-64/sonys-fall-and-japans-hang-ups/?tag=mncol;editorPicks]http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57414373-64/sonys-fall-and-japans-hang-ups/?tag=mncol;editorPicks[/url]

[u]Stuck on incremental, not disruptive innovation[/u]

Bill DePalma removed both OLPFs and had the glass replaced and dust system replicated (via Maxmax.com): https://vimeo.com/40789276

Andrew- you removed only one OLPF and did not add replacement glass (nor re-attached the dust system)? Still curious if the software changes behavior with the dust system connector removed.

[quote author=Giovanni Bertani link=topic=621.msg4544#msg4544 date=1335135022]
Something from CNET written quiet exactly on the culture behind Canon 5D Mk3

Sony's slow but sure descent is also about Japan's obsession with doing things the Japanese way, even if it's the wrong way, says CNET's Brooke Crothers.

[url=http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57414373-64/sonys-fall-and-japans-hang-ups/?tag=mncol;editorPicks]http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57414373-64/sonys-fall-and-japans-hang-ups/?tag=mncol;editorPicks[/url]

[u]Stuck on incremental, not disruptive innovation[/u]
[/quote]

This article has some good historical points regarding the "bubble" era's mentality of the 80's.

But assuming  "the seeds of Japan's technological-industrial undoing" he believe he witnessed at the time are the only cause for Japan tech-companies misfortune is pretentious and outdated.
Like there couldn't be any other factor involved during the last 20 years ?!

Anyway, this is the type of "cliché" i see countless time on cheap documentaries and poor analysis about the so called "Japanese society".
People like to hang to those packaged theories about Japan as a static traditional society, it reassure them.