Panasonic GH1 / GH 2 and FD lenses ?.

iosman

Hello,

This interest is yet also related to another fact: My father owns a canon AE-1, that he doesn't use anymore, with a whole bunch of beautiful FD-lenses that you can not reasonably mount on any DSLR video camera other than Micro-Four-Thirds like the GH1/2/(and a probably upcoming 3). Do you have any experiences or educated guesses on how well these lenses will perform on the GH1/2 with regards to filming predominantly? I own a 5D MII but rather than investing in good new glasses again and again, I started to consider having a GH2 as a second cam for just about 600 € with like 5 high-quality lenses already available for me (excluding costs for adapters, of course).

thanks

jackyjoy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

FD lenses vary in quality depending on the lens. You'll run into the typical issues with vintage lenses, some of them being soft wide open, some having chromatic aberration issues. They all flare as well. If you like that look go for it. The color rendering is really nice and the flares are awesome too if you like that. 

FYI, you can adapter mount Canon FD lenses on Canon EF/EF-S-mount cameras.

Aside from that, I spent years shooting M43 with a FD55mm f.12 on a speed booster.  That was my default set-up.  Very smooth and beautiful; especially because it was slightly flawed.  Also incredible in low-light.  Could make horrible settings look awesome if you knew what you were doing. 

Every project on our reel features vintage glass one way or another.

My favorite doc we shot was mostly on a GX7 with a Nikkor 50mm.  I've delved into Russian lenses for even more image character; the example below encouraged by an eoshd.com challenge:  

I mean, I also have a set of primes from an old Pentax Auto 110 that I continue to use.  It looks ridiculous mounted on the camera but delivers an image that is unique.  I plan to use them in August for a short film shoot.

We do have modern glass but I often find the modern digital look way too clinical.  Clinical and sharp-as-hell can be necessary at times, but I still prefer old glass.

4 hours ago, iosman said:

This interest is yet also related to another fact: My father owns a canon AE-1, that he doesn't use anymore, with a whole bunch of beautiful FD-lenses that you can not reasonably mount on any DSLR video camera other than Micro-Four-Thirds like the GH1/2/(and a probably upcoming 3).

I started to consider having a GH2 as a second cam for just about 600

Upcoming GH3, GH2 for 600! Love that time machine! Give me that powers, please. 🙂

@fuzzynormal Love the piece, one of your best short ones. GX7 had my favorite image from browsing vimeo back then in the GH4 days. It should have had the 50mbit codec from the GH3. Did you use a focal reducer with the Nikon 50mm or a plain adapter? Love the look and framing! cheers

If you like the look of the lenses and you like the look of the GH1/2 then absolutely go for it.  

Searching sites like Flickr for the specific lenses you've got should give you many many excellent examples of what the lenses are capable of.  Many FD's are highly prized lenses and prices have increased steadily over recent times, so if you didn't like the look and wanted to sell them to get something more to your tastes then that's probably also quite possible.

The regular FD lenses are just like any other main brand of their vintage.    Some are very good and others less so.

The FD L lenses mostly are better (and more expensive) than most as these usually had aspheric elements in the shorter ones and ED or fluorite elements in the longer ones.

Since you have them and non focal reducer adapters are very cheap, you might as well give them a go.

They are better on FF mirrorless in my view but do work ok on M43 (I used to use some on a GX7 though not for video).

Some FD lenses have an issue with the rubber coating of the brass bearings dissolving and the focus throw becomes very loose ...usually some of the more expensive ones. (My FD 85 1.2 L has the problem).

Personally, if you have any of the sort after L lenses I would consider selling them as they are currently going for ridiculous prices (FD 24 1.4 L especially).

6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

I am astonished that OG wrote about the upcoming GH3 in 2021. Afaik Gh3 came up 2012 or something like that. Also suprising the estimate of 600USD for a used GH2. Seems like we all are in a time machine. Time travelling feels awesome. 🙂

Never mind going back in time!     Who wins the first at Eagle Farm tomorrow?

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I am astonished that OG wrote about the upcoming GH3 in 2021. Afaik Gh3 came up 2012 or something like that. Also suprising the estimate of 600USD for a used GH2. Seems like we all are in a time machine. Time travelling feels awesome. 🙂

Makes me wonder if the OP was a copy-paste bot and stole this question from another forum elsewhere. 

The great Drew of the Drew Network on the subject of lenses when he talks about lenses (suggested about 15 minutes in):

Some of his views are a little dated now, but he was filming this on old Nikkor lenses on a hacked (Drewnet) Gh2. Still love this channel even though there's no new content. Also, he's shooting an A7s iii now with modern glass. It was an exciting time in the hacked Gh2 universe. I got a Gh2 not that long ago and when I look at the footage, it seems very nice.

I like the GH2 image very much. Colours especially. If it had the highlight rendition of the GH3 or GX85, G7 cameras I would still consider it for the fun of it. But there is only one cult camera clipping faster, the DVX100 or maybe the Blackmagic Production camera 4K:) The original poster still lives in 2013 or in Bot land, so he may not worry about highlight rendition of the GH2 at all.

I like the colours out of it. Camera can and is recommended to be used with the hack. Colours really sing to me. Just, I see artefacts creep in easily, despite higer bite rate hacks. Judgement by web browsing footage over the years. I love this one especially, great colour palette/metric, harsh highlights, brittle codec. 2.15 to 2.17, the mastershot really gives a great impression of the colours I am talking about. Looks effortlessly great without grading pains.

I bought a GH1 when it first came out and used to like using the Nostalgic picture profile. I assume they dropped that profile some time ago - would love to use in the GH5 I have now. Only thing I didn't get on with was the smooth rubberised texture that coated the body (I just didn't like the feel of it, but that's probably just me). That and the fact that it is quite a small body covered in buttons - quite often I would pick it up and accidentally turn something on and spend a few minutes trying to work out how to return the camera back to normal because I didn't know what I had done. By the time I got used to the camera I had gone on to something else...Those were the days, when I could afford to buy a camera just to see what it was like! 

4 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I found a gh1 for 50 Euros. Is it any better than the gh2 in any way?

It's cheaper?

BTW, I still shoot on GH1's every once in awhile.  I got two.  Thumbs up on acknowledging the old Nikkor lenses, still relevant after all these years.  I'm using one on a shoot today.  It's my current go-to lens for interviews regardless of camera;  M43, s35, or FF.

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

It's cheaper?

BTW, I still shoot on GH1's every once in awhile.  I got two.  Thumbs up on acknowledging the old Nikkor lenses, still relevant after all these years.  I'm using one on a shoot today.  It's my current go-to lens for interviews regardless of camera;  M43, s35, or FF.

Is it a 35mm?