Whatever happened to the EVA1?

Andy Zou

44 minutes ago, mercer said:

Good point about the DVX100. I shot with once, years ago, and it was a blast. I miss shooting with a camcorder sometimes, so much so, I recently looked to see what was available and I was a bit surprised to see how far they've come along. The Panasonic X1500/X2000 has internal 10bit 4K. It looks like a pretty slick little camera. With its 1/2in sensor, it's like a digital Super 8 with internal ND and XLR inputs for less than $2000.

That's where everything began. Cinealta for affordable video capture... going along 24p, progressive output at best.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, Podgorica83 said:

Have one we still use with an S1H at work and still pumps out a really nice image in VLOG.  Being able to record internal 10bit on cheap SD cards was definitely it's advantage, as well as RAW/6k over HDMI. 

However, while light/small, it's body was cheap.  It had a POS LCD monitor that was impossible to see outside and/or pull focus and the side handle was notorious for falling off. 

In the end, the c300/c200/FS7/FS5 just was better out of the box for a run and gun camera, so I understand why eva1 fell into anonymity.  Would love to see a new version with L-mount as it did have promise.

Where? In Podgorica, Crna Gora? :- )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

"Cinealta" is a branding Sony uses. 

For sure... DVX100 was the poor man's Cinealta F900 in those days before the F900R had arrived half dozen years later ; )

And part of the Panny 's fame on supporting the indie filmmaking community comes from there :- )

• 3 months later...

Someone local to me is selling a kitted out EVA1 for $4,000 (about five batteries, zacuto view finder, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, Tilta base / arm / viewfinder extender.

I admit that my curiosity is piqued about it, despite my self restraint.

But I can't really see a whole lot of benefit over my current setup of my A Cam (Panasonic S1) and B Cam (S5), and Tascam DR-60D II.

People have said that the image out of the EVA1 is beautiful, but is it going to blow away the image from the S1 or S5? And the super 35 sensor has me worried about noise and DR.

At this stage of the game, wouldn't a 6K Pro be a much better option? (Especially since my partner in crime / teenage son is still using the free version of resolve, so a license would come in handy.)

6 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Someone local to me is selling a kitted out EVA1 for $4,000 (about five batteries, zacuto view finder, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, Tilta base / arm / viewfinder extender.

I admit that my curiosity is piqued about it, despite my self restraint.

But I can't really see a whole lot of benefit over my current setup of my A Cam (Panasonic S1) and B Cam (S5), and Tascam DR-60D II.

People have said that the image out of the EVA1 is beautiful, but is it going to blow away the image from the S1 or S5? And the super 35 sensor has me worried about noise and DR.

At this stage of the game, wouldn't a 6K Pro be a much better option? (Especially since my partner in crime / teenage son is still using the free version of resolve, so a license would come in handy.)

From someone who has used both, I'd say the S1 sensor is equal or better. What you get with the EVA is the i/o and ergonomics which does make it worth it if you need them but I would probably go for saving for fx6 or c70 instead in that case. 

7 hours ago, Maxbrand said:

From someone who has used both, I'd say the S1 sensor is equal or better. What you get with the EVA is the i/o and ergonomics which does make it worth it if you need them but I would probably go for saving for fx6 or c70 instead in that case. 

Thank you for the input and for sharing your experience. 

I will admit one thing: Part of the reason I was interested in the EVA1 is because I saw someone on youtube (and yes, it is always "someone on youtube" who says these things), that said something like, "Sometimes you really need a cinema camera so the client has confidence in you."

Of course, the person on youtube who  was saying that using a cinema camera builds confidence in clients happened to  look like he was 15-years-old and had a stupid haircut. I guess that is what i get by watching videos made by content creators...

3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I think you are right about that. I think maybe minimum fs7 or Eva1 or Red.

LOL Yeah, suchlike : ) The elitism couples ignorance and is like the fear, just another bitch! : D

Why confused @mercer...? Isn't it a serious cinema camera?

We've made an entire feature film, among much other cine-like stuff, with:

OS_3J.thumb.jpg.1f13d4eb62c8f2e521baa64b02653207.jpg

OS_1J.thumb.jpg.3b9ecdce6fce7e11229ff925524d0afb.jpg

OS_8J.thumb.jpg.5d9db1348547a5f90b65903851d30ed6.jpg

OS_5j.thumb.jpg.1d73649fe725c82849e7a046d2d89920.jpg

OS_6J.thumb.jpg.90ca18f19c6bad1067505db33b7679e4.jpg

Shot on P6K

Make-Believers (2021)

- EAG

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Yeah, suchlike : ) The elitism couples ignorance and is like the fear, just another bitch! : D

Shot on P6K

Make-Believers (2021)

- EAG

Love the stills. Thanks for posting.

48 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Shot on P6K

Make-Believers (2021)

- EAG

Beautiful shots. But they have a very video look. Which is fine. Congrats on the feature.

I was confused because I didn't understand what the pocket series cameras have to do with the conversation? Do you get paid a commission every time you mention Blackmagic in a thread? 😂🤪

Well, thanks for the words of you two : )

To properly answer you Glenn, the same way Canon's C line, Sony, RED, Z Cam cameras are mentioned in this page or the previous one by everyone, OP, me and you included who directly referred 1/2 inch sensor size devices BTW ; ) Is each one of those looking less videoish? LOL ; )

What defines "video look" to you? A cleaner high rezzed output, as for instance? Will my other P4K pop up less "video looking" then? : D What about if we had grain going on post processing, does it prone to end more cine-like fine to you, is it fair to assume so...? :- D

Because I guess to evaluate on the current feature's film festivals circuit @ big screen, it should not surely be! ;- )

image.png.b4b0bb91945b90d1a8203ac93738a58e.png

hey, I am just redeeming myself to those butting head occasions with reps of the brand in these same pages before or later on hahaha

:- )