Pocket 6k Pro or Ursa G2?

seanzzxx

Hey folks, I've asked this question on the Blackmagic forums (which is a great place), but I like to get my information from a wide source, maybe there's some folks who have experience in this matter or are going through the same process. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I'm looking for an upgrade to my Pocket 4K (which I love and which has served me very well). The lack of updates for the G2 seriously makes me hold off on buying one because it makes it feel like an end-of-life product. It also feels like the 6K Pro approaches 99% of the G2 its features (and bests it in some way) for less than half the price currently. What are you guys thought on this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Out of the two, I'd personally go with the 6k Pro, and spend the difference on a nice lens / some kind of stabilisation, since its a lighter camera.

With that said, if you're in no immediate rush, I would also wait for BMD's next camera. Their last two releases were the 6kpro and the Ursa 12k. I think the next release will be somewhere in the middle. Maybe a box camera with their custom sensor, even if it's 'limited' to a measly 8k, it'd be worth waiting for.

They're not going to outshine the 12k anytime soon, and they also won't release a lesser camera than the 6kpro. So I would continue to use the 4k for another 6 or 7 months until the next announcement. If you don't like the next camera, the 6kpro will drop in price and you can get it then.

The URSA has SDI out and will give you monitoring options without slow latency issues. If you are a solo shooter the P6K pro is definitely superior. Smaller and gives you everything you need. Super bright sharp built in screen, EVF if wanted, 6K, 3200 iso, internal ND's. 

If you need a camera that is suited for a more professional environment the URSA is superior. It's just made for that purpose. The P6K has only a single HDMI out. Rolling shutter is another issue. The P6K has pretty noticeable rolling shutter where the URSA has a super fast readout, like an Alexa. You also get 4k 120fps on the URSA. Handheld on the URSA looks much more organic but you can work around that by uses stabilized Canon lenses on the P6K.

The Pocket 4k is a great camera if you can get by without internal ND's. Its got a fairly fast readout so the rolling shutter is much less noticeable than on the P6K. You actually get a wider FOV with a speed booster on the P4K as well, close to full frame on the .64 metabones ones. You save some space with data on the P4K and 4k is a bit easier on the editing software. 

Color is better on the P6K, the low light performance is a bit better, it also has more dynamic range. The Pocket 6k actually has better dynamic range than the URSA, tho I think the URSA looks a bit more organic. 

Great question. I think I'm looking for a few things. The big one is form factor: I really dislike rigging an re-rigging the Pocket whenever I want to go from shoulder to handheld and so on. I really want internal nds, and I want more dynamic range. I thought the Ursa had significantly more dynamic range than the 6k?

6 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

Great question. I think I'm looking for a few things. The big one is form factor: I really dislike rigging an re-rigging the Pocket whenever I want to go from shoulder to handheld and so on. I really want internal nds, and I want more dynamic range. I thought the Ursa had significantly more dynamic range than the 6k?

From my testing the Pocket held more in the highlights by about a stop. It also does better in the shadows as the URSA falls into an unusable fixed noise pattern when under exposed.

The URSA G2 is better for handheld. In terms of rigging I think its a toss up. The Pocket is way easier to put on a gimbal.