Lav for fitness / gym / sport videos?

jase

Hi guys,

i am searching for a lav that is able to take "hits" without creating too much noise. The subject is doing bodyweight workouts and while doing them, he comments on them. More or less the same as this guy here:

Can anyone point me to such kind of lav he is using? Something that you can put around your neck like he does without taking every body movement as noise?

Thanks!"

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The guy in the video does a voice-over, which is more practical and gives you some freedom in post.

When you do it live you not only have the sounds of the movements to take care of, cut or gate them, but he might be out of breath sometimes and not able to talk in a calm and controlled way.

Nevertheless, maybe just use a Rode NGT-1/2 on a boom-pole. I´d do a voice-over afterwards and only record the introduction and explanations during the exercises directly.

I think it's just a regular lav that is clipped to a necklace. It doesn't make much noise because there's not any clothes or anything touching the capsule. 

You'll probably want a waterproof / water resistant lav to deal with sweat. But otherwise it just looked like a regular lav. 

A small headset mic might do the trick too. 

It looked like the foam cover on it was on the large side, which would cushion it if it moved around a bit, so that's worth paying attention to as well.

ADR is an option, but it can be pretty fiddly to do and if you haven't done it before it's not as easy as it might seem, especially for some talent.

I can't imagine a lav working unless it was a headset unit, as others have recommended. In my experienc you really need to tape those suckers down to deal with handling noise. You could always run a boom over talent as well with an omni or cardioid mic.