The Gerald Undone Challenge

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

These guys pretend they don't get "paid" by Sony. But they get all the gear they want from them, newly released gear to review, lenses to test/sample, in exchange for positive reviews. They might not be told to write a positive review, but good luck getting more gear if you trash them.

Sony knows who to send gear to, because they know these youtubers are desperate to continue to receive gear to review.

Sony gear videos get higher views on youtube so its the brand they want to continue to pimp.

So yes they might not be "paid" by sony, but by getting all this gear to test and review from sony for free, it saves the reviewers thousands of dollars. Youtubers are the new age used car salesman. 

I really believe that when you belong to a proffesional cast you should never leave suspicions about your competitors. What you need to do is do your job as best you can and that will be what will bring your customer / viewer to you instead of your competitors.

It is called professional discretion.

I would never allowed such a thread to my crown/forum.

On 6/24/2021 at 2:03 AM, KnightsFan said:

It is funny to watch channels reviewing gear, when their main use case is making the review videos. I think Linus Tech Tips is the best example, where they have entire videos about building workstations to edit their videos about building workstations. Credit where it's due, it's not a bad business model, and in Linus' case they're open and honest about it.

Actually I'd say the same about Gerald, who has said in a few videos that his primary use for his gear is sit-down corporate interviews. He's said in a couple places that he's not a "cinematographer" or a "vlogger." I think the guy does a good job presenting information. If I want basic information about a camera or mic he's reviewed, I usually watch his video. I wouldn't try to get any artistic ideas from his videos.

I think that's where you should position yourself with your channel, Andrew. I've always liked/agreed with your opinions on color. I think you're at your best when talking about artistic use cases and reviewing gear from that perspective. We don't need you to compete with tech gear reviewers, just talk about what you're good at.

This right here.

I am not enjoying your rants, Andrew, because (a) it’s a losing game, (b) makes you come across as bitter and (c) doesn’t seem to be your ‘groove’ and doesn’t accentuate your differentiation and strength. 

Whether you are right or wrong isn’t the point; you can’t change the rules of the game and it doesn’t make for entertaining content.

In my opinion, your strength is the intersection point between technology and creativity (I would love to see more of the latter to balance the tech side).

You aren’t competing with bloggers, YouTube’s or even cinematographers if you create your own category.
And that doesn’t mean you can’t voice a strong opinion as part of your concept. I just would rather see you fight FOR something instead of AGAINST.

I second above comment. There could still be short 3min videos for critizing or analyzing the state of things, short to the point, witty without bitterness. Rather than calling Undone a guru, just stayin to the fact, that the testing cirucs is a circus of silly beasts or whatever. 2 to 3min pieces, once every three monts and people would get the point across. I mean, after all consumerism is a terrifying with harms to enviroment, resources and labour conditions around the world, epecially where employees rights are weak.

And, holy cow, Andrews 8bit colours from the GH2 look impressively good, better than most stuff from modern high end hybrids like A7s3 or S1H. Testament to the right shooter with the right equipment in the right state of mind.

Depends, Andrew. Some suckers need to be told how it is. You dont.

Still, you deserve to be told that above GH2 piece has astonishing colour besides involving compositions and choice of shots. And you deserve honest opinions. And after all, there are highly successful youtubers who are not part of a dull cam selling circus. I see you rather like the guy who did this video: What Makes This Song Great? Ep.104 Pink Floyd.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Depends, Andrew. Some suckers need to be told how it is. You dont.

Still, you deserve to be told that above GH2 piece has astonishing colour besides involving compositions and choice of shots. And you deserve honest opinions.

Can you just ease off on the sycophantly for one second and appreciate that I can say what the damn hell I like on my own YouTube channel. In one sentence you are telling me what to do and how I should perform on a YouTube channel, and in the next moment it's nauseating praise. I find it creepy and highly annoying both at the same time. I don't know how you manage it, it's quite an achievement. So just my two cents. If you can address more broader subjects than just me in every post that would be fantastic.

Otherwise anti-stalking cops going to have to come and put you in a jail run by Matt Granger.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

And after all, there are highly successful youtubers who are not part of a dull cam selling circus.

Do enlighten us on those!

I would look sycophantly up in a dictionary. But maybe rather not.

I don´t know who Matt Granger is. I leave it at that and won´t make suggestions anymore.

Other youtube channels. I still admire some classy video essay channels, Tony Zhou, Cinema Tylor, Royal Ocean Film Society. I also enjoy channels on vintage photo cameras and other subjects. Just watched one on an Olympus XA3. There are also great contributions from people who don´t necessarily are in front of the camera that much, showing footage from vintage cameras such as old 2/3inch Varicams or F23 and so on, some CCD magic in 2021.

Actually your reply creeped me out a bit. So I won´t comment on your youtube channel anymore, unless your anti-anti-stalking cops bring me some strawberry cake with some tasty coffee the next 5mins before the EURO soccer game between Germany and England. That will be more fun than googleing Matt Granger for now.

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 12:49 PM, Andrew Reid said:

The world is full of people telling other people what to do.

Don't be one of them.

That’s a weird comment coming from you 🙂 

Aren’t you doing the same in your videos, and even addressing individual YouTubers with critique to make your point about the state of the industry?

Saying what you don’t like about them is the same thing as telling them what you’d rather would like see them doing.

If you are willing to post these videos, you should be willing to receive feedback, regardless of whether you agree to it or not. This just feels dismissive.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:52 AM, PannySVHS said:

And, holy cow, Andrews 8bit colours from the GH2 look impressively good, better than most stuff from modern high end hybrids like A7s3 or S1H. Testament to the right shooter with the right equipment in the right state of mind.

Second that, amazing colors. Do you remember what hack you was running in this one, @Andrew Reid?

Still have my GH2 here, when I have time to use my cameras again, want to try it again.

• 2 weeks later...