Sony A7S III is noisy

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

12,800 is too high for a native ISO.

You will be shooting at base 640 boosted to 3200 or 6400 most of the time in dim light or indoors.

Therefore the A7S III has a problem especially in S-LOG 3.

The files look a bit shit.

They are noisier than the EOS R6 and Panasonic S5!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wouldn't the Sony be suddenly much cleaner at ISO 12800, so it may be a good idea to shoot it at 12800 and use an ND perhaps? Or is is it that most ISO levels in between the dual native ISOs are all noisy? Plus the Sony also has that famous Sony colour (or a version of it).

Would love to see a comparison between the Sony, along with Canon (R6) and Panasonic (S5), at all ISOs from 320 to 25600, perhaps. 

I'll give it a pass since it is the A7S series of "sensitive" cameras from Sony. You simply have to shoot at 12800 with ND. Now, if they did that with the A7IV then there would be something to complain about.

I had a dual gain with the GH5S, and while helpful for that camera, I started to become annoyed with messing around with hitting one of the native gains––especially when you had to stop ISO down and add a faster lens.

I much prefer a linear gain curve and just applying de-noise in post if needed. Very predictable. I like Canon's/ARRI DGO approach better.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, stv said:

@Andrew Reid Gerald Undone has made comments regarding the drawbacks of having the second native ISO at 12800 in his video where he discusses his reasoning for switching to the Sony A1 (9 minute mark).

These YouTuber's switch cameras faster than I change my underpants.

It took him 2 weeks to go C300 Mark III -> A7S III

And now A1!

• Administrators

Picture of me shitting my pants and looking shocked?!

Speaking of muddy brown...

A7S III is very good at that!!

ISO 10,000:

a7s-iii-iso-10000.jpg

-----

EOS R6 (Canon LOG)

at

12,800:

EOS-R6-iso-12800.jpg

Even though the noise gets better at 12,800 on the A7S III once you switch circuits, the colour information is still completely thin.

I get why they made it the second native ISO, since it is meant for ultra low light situations, but I agree 12,800 is too high for most people. I think most folks that bought the A7siii would've been just as better off waiting for an A7IV. It never made a ton of sense to me for these people, many who never shoot outside their "studio" or in anything other than sunlight, to get a camera meant for low light conditions but that's YouTube these days. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

I personally think the ability to shoot in dim situations with deeper DOF is nice. 

Yeah don't get me wrong I think it's fantastic and very rare to have such clean 12,800 and 25,600 results.

The other way you can get around the noisy S-LOG 3 results between 3200 and 10,000 is to simply change to a Cine gamma mode instead or use a flat profile like EOSHD Pro LOG.

It is just that if you want maximum dynamic range at these commonly used ISOs in S-LOG 3 then other cameras like Panasonic S1H will give you much cleaner results from a higher resolution sensor and 6K.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, herein2020 said:

The S5 really shines here.....at 4000ISO with a 50mm F1.4 I've been able to shoot clean footage using nothing but practicals.  Throw in a hotshoe mounted Falcon Eyes F7 and I can even shoot F4.5 with clean blacks.

The great thing is you can just stick it on Aperture priority and Auto ISO, and concentrate on getting the shot perfectly with pristine image quality, no noise to speak of.

Try doing that on the A7S III or EOS R6!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, newfoundmass said:

I get why they made it the second native ISO, since it is meant for ultra low light situations, but I agree 12,800 is too high for most people. I think most folks that bought the A7siii would've been just as better off waiting for an A7IV. It never made a ton of sense to me for these people, many who never shoot outside their "studio" or in anything other than sunlight, to get a camera meant for low light conditions but that's YouTube these days. 

Gerald released his “What Cameras are Other Youtubers Using” video and 85% of them were using A7SIII in a studio with controlled lighting. Second was A1, and then S5, R5, and RED Monstro.

Maybe 10% of them would use the A7SIII out in the wild where the crazy 12,800 ISO is useful.

Power of hype machine and branding dollars to spend.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Gerald released his “WThehat Cameras are Other Youtubers Using” video and 85% of them were using A7SIII in a studio with controlled lighting. Second was A1, and then S5, R5, and RED Monstro.

Maybe 10% of them would use the A7SIII out in the wild where the crazy 12,800 ISO is useful.

The auto focus on the A7S3 along with low rolling shutter and IBIS is a great vlogging combo tho

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Gerald released his “What Cameras are Other Youtubers Using” video and 85% of them were using A7SIII in a studio with controlled lighting. Second was A1, and then S5, R5, and RED Monstro.

I legit just watched that this morning! I cringed so much watching it. Thousands and thousands of dollars of equipment just sitting in people's spare bedroom "studios" for boring talking head videos. I guess if you have the money and the desire to be carbon copies of your peers that's what you do? 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 6/26/2021 at 2:48 PM, newfoundmass said:

Most of those people don't really "vlog." They mostly just sit in their "studios" and talk to the camera, making all of those things pretty pointless to have.

Yeah at that point almost any camera would be fine.