Missing Aperture Priority mode on EOS R6

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
4 hours ago, gt3rs said:

8k RAW (Light) (29.97p/25.00p): Approx. 1700 Mbps

8k RAW (Light) (24.00p/23.98p): Approx. 1350 Mbps

For 8K a very good compression.

How are they getting around the RED patents I wonder?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Video Hummus @wolf33d The R5 just wasn't a consideration for me; mainly because even with the price it still had no XLR input options (the S5 offers an XLR module) no dual slot video recording (I might have been able to come to live without it if everything else was perfect), and I don't know where you live but I live in FL USA. A typical summer day is 90F+ with humidity at 100%.....its been so hot here even my C200 with the fan on showed an overheat warning a few times.  I simply could not believe the R5 would not overheat here.

In my testing of the R6....outdoors taking a few stills and a few video clips on a 80F degree 100% humidity day and the timer hovered around 2min. 

All of that combined with the fact I would have probably had to upgrade from my 2080Ti video card to a 3080 with no guarantee of smooth playback made the R5 a non starter for me.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

How are they getting around the RED patents I wonder?

Pure guess is that they have an agreement probably the RF mount in Komodo is part of that agreement too maybe the sensor as is speculated to be Canon one in Komodo (not sure just reporting rumors).

• Administrators
1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Pure guess is that they have an agreement probably the RF mount in Komodo is part of that agreement too maybe the sensor as is speculated to be Canon one in Komodo (not sure just reporting rumors).

Yeah clearly something going on there.

Wonder if 1D X III will get C-RAW Lite and C-LOG3 as well.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

According to CR, the R3 will get internal RAW and CLOG3 as well. I still don't understand why no one has taken RED to court and sued them out of business for that patent. I've read a few legal opinions that say it is unenforceable but no one feels like paying for the legal battle.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is enforceable because both Apple and Sony already tried!

No way! I remember when Apple made the news over filing a lawsuit against RED but it was vague and didn't have many details at the time. Had no idea they already lost the case and it was over RAW....talk about stifling innovation....its such a BS patent, but anyways, I digress.

It's pretty clear Canon has some kind of secret deal with RED but their CRAW Light data rates are still too high for me, maybe the R3 will offer something more compressed for 4K.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

1DX III has already RAW Lite it was released in fw 1.4 at the same time as the R5 RAW Lite firmware. I have and use it on my 1DX III.

No CLog3 yet.

7 hours ago, herein2020 said:

@Video Hummus @wolf33d The R5 just wasn't a consideration for me; mainly because even with the price it still had no XLR input options (the S5 offers an XLR module) no dual slot video recording (I might have been able to come to live without it if everything else was perfect), and I don't know where you live but I live in FL USA. A typical summer day is 90F+ with humidity at 100%.....its been so hot here even my C200 with the fan on showed an overheat warning a few times.  I simply could not believe the R5 would not overheat here.

In my testing of the R6....outdoors taking a few stills and a few video clips on a 80F degree 100% humidity day and the timer hovered around 2min. 

All of that combined with the fact I would have probably had to upgrade from my 2080Ti video card to a 3080 with no guarantee of smooth playback made the R5 a non starter for me.

Thats fine. R5 clearly is not the right tool for you. I'm not trying to sell you on the camera. I just shared my experience using it in the conditions I have so far encountered.

3 hours ago, herein2020 said:

According to CR, the R3 will get internal RAW and CLOG3 as well.

Which is kind of interesting because they have official said it shoots oversampled 4K and internal RAW.

The internal RAW could be anywhere from 5K to 8K. I highly doubt they have the 45MP R5 sensor in there and underselling its capability...

And further rumors put the sensor around 30MP mark, which I find more believable than 20MP at this point.

So maybe it has 6K internal RAW with a stacked sensor. That would be something.

Hell it could be some variant of the sensor in the RED which is rumored to be from Canon and KNOWN not to be from REDs sensor team.

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Which is kind of interesting because they have official said it shoots oversampled 4K and internal RAW.

The internal RAW could be anywhere from 5K to 8K. I highly doubt they have the 45MP R5 sensor in there and underselling its capability...

And further rumors put the sensor around 30MP mark, which I find more believable than 20MP at this point.

So maybe it has 6K internal RAW with a stacked sensor. That would be something.

Hell it could be some variant of the sensor in the RED which is rumored to be from Canon and KNOWN not to be from REDs sensor team.

It does sound pretty interesting, they even mentioned the hotshoe would now support additional accessories which may mean an XLR module somewhere in its future.  My 5DIV has never had it's battery grip removed so I can see the R3 possibly finally replacing my 5DIV for photography since with the battery grip I would imagine they are about the same size; they are clearly not trying to oversell its video capabilities (unlike what they did with the R5)  and I am clearly not trying to get too excited about them either now that Canon's strategy makes it obvious that they will do everything in their cripple hammer power to prevent it from stepping on the C70's toes.