High iso ultra low light sony IMX sensors like A7S2 A7S-3

PDerrins2020

Hello, I am new to this incredible forum, The Amount of educated posters is impressed, i’m looking for a highly sensitive low light camera that performs as well at least as the A7S 2 (true high ISO) l, We were using a camera by Sony called the UMCS3CA (Same A7S2 sensor in a smaller package) for our application but Sony recently discontinued it which put us in a bind, at this point we would like to look at possibly creating our own camera from the sensor or looking at a third-party that is making super low light cameras from Sony or equivalent sensors, I heard the A7S2 uses the IMX235, some folks recommended imx435 or imx521, can anybody please reply to me with any suggestions, recommendations. Highly appreciated, cheers, have a great weekend - DM

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Smaller?! 
Does that exist?

Sigma FP maybe, but no screen or EVF?

Nothing FF I don’t think, maybe APSC otherwise it’s M4/3 but the smaller you go sensor-wise, the less capable the low-light but you can mitigate some of that using ultra fast glass.

Love me a bit of environmental ranting though, Greta Thunberg fan eh?

Yes, Canon makes the 4 million iso ME20F-SH, for just $20,000.

The other options I can think of are:

A7S3 - probably best option
Sigma fp - smaller and lighter
Other FF cameras (S1, Z6, A73--all seem about on the level of the A7S2 from what I've seen).
Z Cam E2-F6 - no screen or EVF, but heavier

Ximea and other machine vision companies make camera modules that might be closer to what you want, but I don't know how their low light is and they are likely pricier since more specialized. Many of them are available in monochrome which increases sensitivity.

Another option might be to get some faster lenses and/or noise reduction software? Low light consumer cameras use very good (and very aggressive) noise reduction to get their results, which you might be able to achieve in post with quality software and whichever camera you choose.

That Sony does not show as discontinued on the Sony site I looked at.

Closest would be the Canon ME20F SH but that is only full HD.    It seems like it is fairly rugged though.

Also the ME200S SH but that is super 35.

On 6/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, androidlad said:

FX3

Question about these low light sensors (specifically S1's sensor but I've seen similar things I think in A7S maybe): compared with less light-sensitive cinema cameras, the image seems to wash out to one color quickly. 

If I shoot a very green foliage scene with an S1 or in very late day blue overcast light the image seems to wash out to green or blue more quickly than it would with an Alexa or EVA1 or C300, cameras where I feel more comfortable just leaving it at one of the WB presents. 

Is this something to do with thinner dye layers on the sensor? 

And if fp and S1 have the same sensor, why is the fp's color better/less magenta?

8 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Question about these low light sensors (specifically S1's sensor but I've seen similar things I think in A7S maybe): compared with less light-sensitive cinema cameras, the image seems to wash out to one color quickly. 

Original A7s has a greater dynamic range at higher ISOs than anything consumer still.

Yes, the more recent high megapixel cameras are better in even light that used to be regarded as low not so long ago but the A7s just ramps down in a lot shallower line.       I mainly use mine for stills but in low light I still do not want anything else for my uses.       I doubt any of these sot of cameras is what the OP is after though. 

Thank you very much for all of the replies it is highly appreciated,

I wonder if anybody here can suggest or recommend anyone that can take the A7S3 or the Fx3 and modify them for me to meet some of my criteria, I will pay good.. please reply here or feel free to email me directly..

pwx444@gmail.com

thank you